DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Tow bar TSB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

B16 KJR wrote:

Think you will find Nick has used the word "occasional" 2 lines up.

Thud ohh FFS Banging Head when are you lot defecting Rolling with laughter Big Cry Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 5th Mar 2013 5:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #10667365th Mar 2013 5:43 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Its just toooooooooo easy to get you to take the bait these days Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #10667375th Mar 2013 5:44 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Do you actually know where to insert your detachable ?

... Arrow here ...let me show you Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad

Ner Ner
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #10667435th Mar 2013 5:48 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Calm down dear Victor Meldrew

Post #10667445th Mar 2013 5:49 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

as said previous i copy pasted that statement from a LR message so the word "occasional" was used, whether they have adjusted the word since then i have not seen anything different except the page DG has posted which i assume is from his spanking new motor's handbook
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #10667475th Mar 2013 5:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I am calm dear ...just making good use of emotions I've not used in a while Dr. Evil ....actually I must speak to Martin and ask him to get some new more appropriate ones sorted Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #10667485th Mar 2013 5:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nick ignore the genitalman from Scotland Wink ...we all agree on the use of the word "Occasional" is correct and advised ...it was the word "light" that was in dispute Thumbs Up
Post #10667505th Mar 2013 5:54 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Only by you Whistle

Post #10667585th Mar 2013 6:04 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I just wondered if I had been a bit hasty...

in saying Big Worry...
Reading through scripts & differentiating between nose weight of the trailer & the max towing weight has made me breath a little bit easier.
I well recall my getting the tow hook for my D3.....from the local stealers....they charged for fitting ( a bit of a joke as all they have to do is remove a plastic bung & pop it in).....it seemed then maybe a bit excessive.....they did wire up the electrics !

I asked them to demonstrate how it clipped in & out...The service "advisor" struggled to fit mine....he got the younger / stronger mechanic to do it......really snug fit even though clear of paint, rustproof gunk....yes OK its a taper fit - but mine has to be rammed upwards to get the pin in & home..when I have towed for three days (heavy trailer, fuly loaded) it also takes some getting out.... a mallet needed. I can see the issue of a rattly fit if the socket or tow hook is painted, burred or something else.
Actually the paint issue wouldnt have applied to mine as the socket area is bare metal as was the tow ball pointy thing.

What does worry me though is the way the technical service bulletin was issued:
If it was really important (as this is) I would have though LR ought to have contacted all the owners...I realise vehicle & owners move on...excercising thier duty of care.

Also Dealers have data bases of customers...another starting point...
I also realise that TLO was doing us a big favour by making us aware of an important issue the best way he could..Thanks TLO

....but is that the best the system can be ?..I hardly think so
Technical service bulletins arent secret documents.......they are there to inform customers / users...not just the ones who frequent dealers...ALL the customer / users.

I wonder how many more issues that have bulletins issued havent got to users ?
We have all had a chuckle about Toyota mad panic recalls...but they did stand over the product.

LR - Liam take note & feed this back to the Bosses please
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #10671216th Mar 2013 11:16 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: I just wondered if I had been a bit hasty...

BLFarrar wrote:
I wonder how many more issues that have bulletins issued havent got to users ?
We have all had a chuckle about Toyota mad panic recalls...but they did stand over the product.

TSB's aren't recalls ...they are to say that "some" people "might" report this issue which isn't safety related. If you read the TSB related to the towbar properly you will see it is not a safety issue at all....because in their example the towbar will not attach because of excessive paint...so if you cant attach it then it's not a safety issue. ....it's a pain in the Censored issue Wink

Vehicle recalls on the other hand are safety related and defined under an agreed code of practice between the manufacturer and VOSA:

Quote:
It is the responsibility of the producer to inform VOSA when substantial evidence of a safety defect that requires remedial action has been confirmed. Additionally, evidence may be presented to the manufacturer by VOSA as a result of investigations into collisions and safety defects which have been brought to their attention from other sources

If you are suggesting that both LR and VOSA are sitting on their hands then that's quite an allegation. Afterall recalls are made in order to limit the company's liability not bury their heads waiting for all the claims to pour in. Thumbs Up
Post #10671576th Mar 2013 12:39 pm
Ecosse

I would expect there must be lots of owners using it for towing more than what I assume is the relatively light weight of a caravan - eg boats or horse trailers must be around 2.5/3.00t fully laden? - any views on suitability?, as there's certainly been nothing to date with D3 or D4 warning owners not to use it for such purposes!

Post #10671826th Mar 2013 1:22 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Can you get the Australian square hitch tongue and receiver combination? Seems a lot more robust than the goose neck you have.

Post #10671836th Mar 2013 1:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ecosse wrote:
I would expect there must be lots of owners using it for towing more than what I assume is the relatively light weight of a caravan - eg boats or horse trailers must be around 2.5/3.00t fully laden? - any views on suitability?, as there's certainly been nothing to date with D3 or D4 warning owners not to use it for such purposes!

The removable bar is fully rated for 3500kgs ...that has never changed. For some reason the word "light" is being bandied around when the weight capability is not in question.
Post #10671856th Mar 2013 1:30 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: I just wondered if I had been a bit hasty...

DG wrote:
If you are suggesting that both LR and VOSA are sitting on their hands then that's quite an allegation. Afterall recalls are made in order to limit the company's liability not bury their heads waiting for all the claims to pour in. Thumbs Up

I realise the Technical Bulletins arent recalls...thats why they are at the technical bulletin level as opposed to recall.....

Not an allegation...mereley the point that I only found out about the issue that isnt cosmetic or fly Censored ...about the way my vehicle works or may have an operational safety related issue through a spurious post on an independant to maker bulletin board.....thats what isnt good enough....in my very humble position.

However I am (like you) a user of the product, I have expectations of what the product should do, can do & will do...based on what I was sold......lets not forget LandRover Discos are about fitness for purpose & durability.....far more than a "pain in the Censored "
...if that alters & a statement is made i.e. "occasional use"....or "occasional light use"...I like others want to know the facts, where these originate from & what it actually means....that is most critical & totally fundamental.

As a responsible driver I check the security of the D3 tow hitch whenever I have used it...as an engineer (mechanical) I quite rightly use the capability, knowledge & experience I have to evaluate things....using these faculties & the data thats there...i.e. the facts.
My point is are there more of them I/we should know about
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #10672246th Mar 2013 2:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

But Bruce you would find out about the issue if you had the problem and enquired about solving it ...i.e. if your towbar didn't fit and you took it back to the dealer and said "my towbar doesn't fit" ....they should say "ah yes Mr.Farrar there was a bulletin sent around for that" " let me scrape the paint off and then you will be fine " Thumbs Up

Basically .....you either have the issue or you don't ...why should you need to know about it if it doesn't affect you ?

Quote:
may have an operational safety related issue through a spurious post on an independant to maker bulletin board

If there was a safety related issue then they would have done a recall Thumbs Up
Post #10672326th Mar 2013 2:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >