Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Towed my caravan with a RR Sport today....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Towed my caravan with a RR Sport today....

Because my brother wanted 7 seats to take his kids and mates paint balling, we swapped cars for the day. He has a 2010 RRS.

I had to bring the tintent home from Wakefield, so had an opportunity to compare the 2.7 D3 towing ability with the 3.0 RRS. Quite relevant to me because I am in the market to swap my D3 for a D4 next spring.

First impression of the RRS was how nippy it was, and how well it stopped and went round corners. I drove it to Wakefield by going over Holme Moss, via Holmfirth. It was very surefooted indeed, and went like a rocket up the hill. The brakes easily kept it under control coming down the other side. The D3 would have been left for dead.

Towing the caravan, the RRS was effortless. It never dropped out of 6th gear, even going up the hills on the M62. The D3 would have been up and down the gears much more. It was a very windy day, and the RRS moved around much more than the D3 would have done. Fuel consumption was very similar.

The interior is very nice, but I did not like the wood effect trim. The sat nav seemed to be similar, but faster to operate. It still was crap at giving me the best route! The seats with the separate lumbar and bolster adjustment was very comfy indeed. The whole ambience of the car was very classy.

So, on swapping back this evening, I was very surprised to hear my brother saying he thought my D3 was better in many respects, and how he thought that for the money you pay for a top of the range D3, you do actually get a lot of car. He thought the 2.7 was as refined as the 3.0, and in his opinion sounded less like a diesel (I'm not sure I agree with him, I thought the 3.0 was very refined indeed) He also liked all my gadgets, like the active headlights, and the TV which he has not got on his RRS.

So, he reckons he's going to chop it in for a D4 Thumbs Up

Post #83405711th Sep 2011 11:46 pm
geoff.

England 

gareth

seems like your brother as seen the light Thumbs Up

Post #83407212th Sep 2011 5:18 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Towed my caravan with a RR Sport today....

Gareth wrote:
So, he reckons he's going to chop it in for a D4 Thumbs Up

And YOU, Gareth ........ ???

Sounds as if you'll be swapping for an RRS. Whistle
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #83409112th Sep 2011 8:25 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
...... Quite relevant to me because I am in the market to swap my D3 for a D4 next spring.

Rolling Eyes

Post #83433012th Sep 2011 7:23 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Ron.....

I'm so tempted to say the obvious Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #83434012th Sep 2011 7:45 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
so had an opportunity to compare the 2.7 D3 towing ability with the 3.0 RRS. Quite relevant to me because I am in the market to swap my D3 for a D4 next spring.

Sorry chaps, but I read into the above quote that as it was "quite relevant" and it had a glowing report, that the RRS was now also an option.

Confused

OK, maybe I am just a 'plank' Sad [but only a trainee one] Wink

Have you tested a D4 yet Gareth?

Just towed caravan back from the Cairngorms last week and the D4 was an absolute dream.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #83435112th Sep 2011 8:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not yet Ron, I have driven one that was given as a loan car for the day, but it was a poverty spec.

I'm not getting too excited just yet, as there are a few things that need to fall into place before I change the D3.

Post #83435312th Sep 2011 8:20 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Rolling with laughter ,I could teach you so much Mr. Green
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #83436312th Sep 2011 8:34 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

having moved from D3 to MY11 RRS - i think Gareth's points are valid . The RRS along an A-Road is much more agile than my D3 and stops much better.

I love the interior in comparison to the D3 and prefer the dash lay out to the D4 ( I have the ebony black rather than the tree trunk walnut).

on the flip side there are some things about the D3 i miss.... i think the suspenssion set up in the D3 copes with things like motorway expansion joints better and i miss the additional head room. i also miss the proper split tail gate that you get in the D3/4.

The one that has foxed me is that rear passangers have commented on how the RRS is more comfortable than the Disco was.... i ws expecting the opposite response as its visibly narrower across the rear seats.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #83440912th Sep 2011 9:44 pm
Hifonics

My brother has a RRS and its about as quick without a map as mine is remapped. I find them a lot more cramped in the front than my D3, although I am 6'6". My sister in-law insists that there is more leg room in the back of the sport but I havent tried it.

Post #83442912th Sep 2011 10:21 pm
AWD man

England 

The biggest thing I miss since swapping to a sport is the 7 seat option/flexibility

Gareth is right though, the dynamic rollbar on the sport keeps the front nice and responsive in the corners, giving me more confidence than the D3 ever did..
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #8432894th Oct 2011 11:12 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

AWD man wrote:
The biggest thing I miss since swapping to a sport is the 7 seat option/flexibility..

also the size...a RRS is the same hieght / width / weight (well almost) but shorter than a Disco...
but when you really need the capacity inside it isnt there...either 7 seats or with all seats down

RRS.....so you have a big car that isnt all that big....not that much different than a freelander inside acceopting the boot is smaller on a freelander & it s huge amount more dosh...how can this be justified?

This whats really buggin me.......is that LR are taking the Disco the plush route"bling & trim"...its was a "working" vehicle... i.e. a huge capability & durable enough to take "the odd knock or scrape"....without a wheel arch or bumper re-paint.

LR ought to offer a de-blinged version of the D4.......the more I look I see the "Kahn" influence coming in which is just "tarting up" a vehicle that doesnt need tarting.

...is this the only way to fend off the X5/Q7/Volvo XC90...... competition ?
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #8433154th Oct 2011 12:38 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

My brother in law used to have RRS TDV8 - could really shift, lovely car, but felt cramped - especially in the back

Post #8433394th Oct 2011 2:17 pm
pko

England 

For what it's worth I have recently changed my D4 hse for a rrsport hse, & have so far only towed the caravan a short distance, but there is a definite ride difference between the two cars,, more noticeable with the van on the back. The sport is far more "jiggly" and is bounced by the van, whist the d4 was rock steady and smoother. This could be down to the tyre 20 inch low profile compared to the standard d4 tyres. But, I think the sport is far livelier and stable in solo running. The hse spec. on the sport is also a lot lower than the hse d4.
So, as to what I prefer it's difficult to say.
regards to all
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #8433874th Oct 2011 4:04 pm
al cope

England 

rear seat comfort is down to the seats. My missus thinks the D3 rear seats (and I'm talking middle row, not rear rear) are hard as nails. I've tried being a rear seat passenger for a short journey, and sort of agree, they are very flat and firm.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8434054th Oct 2011 4:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >