DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Towing stability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Clubber

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Towing stability

Hello all,

We got an Elddis Superstorm TA caravan last year. We didn't tow much as we only got it in October but we noticed that when travelling on a bumpy road, the caravan would bounce the back of the car. Nothing side to side but more like it was pushing the back of the car down which resulted in us feeling the bounce in the car.

I've heard so many people say that when towing, you don't feel like the caravan is there. I agree on the most part but this was the only thing that I wasn't sure if was to be expected. This happened when towing empty (when we picked it up) as well as with a bit of kit in (nothing too severe; just enough for one night).

Could this be caused by incorrect nose-weight? Should I look to get the pads changed in the Winterhoff hitch? Maybe this bounce is normal?

Thanks for any advice.
 Bri

D4 HSE Luxury 

Post #122009219th Jan 2014 11:14 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If like me you also get a clonking it's the detachable tow bar, I tow all over Europe Thumbs Up

Post #122009519th Jan 2014 11:19 am
Chippy

England 

Some bounce is to be expected, just because you can tow in a D3 as if it is running solo doesn't mean you should. Drive according to the road and conditions, if the road is bumpy slow down, run with a slightly heavy nose to stop the tail of the van picking up the back of the D3 and you will find you just bob along with easy Thumbs Up
 Transit Custom LWB
Transit Doublecab SWB
Transit LWB
Transit connect
New Ford Ranger
Renault kango LWB
Fuso Canter flatbed
Renault master
Caterpillar Fork Truck
AUSA Skiploader
1.5 Ton Volvo Digger 

Post #122009819th Jan 2014 11:25 am
al cope

England 

also, take the rear tyre pressures up to 42 (I think thats the max load pressure as started on the drivers door label of pressures). I've always found that improves towing ride behaviour.

and do check the 'vna noseweight isnt exxcess. The D3 can run with 150kg, but your 'vans limit is possible a 100kg (some are lower) - worth checking.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #122010319th Jan 2014 11:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Clubber

Thanks guys,

I'm quite new to towing so I am not reckless when driving; I stick to the speed limits but it is the normal undulations you find on our UK roads that I find tends to make this happen. There is no clunking or any other noise really; it is more of a ride comfort issue than anything else. I guess if it is to be expected, then that's fair enough. I wanted to check what other people's experiences were. I'll check the nose weight to see if I can make things better. I've had the rear pressures up to 42 which did improve things.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
 Bri

D4 HSE Luxury 

Post #122012219th Jan 2014 11:52 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I find ours bounces a bit if the nose weight is too low.

currently running at 138kgs !!!, which is a bit higher than what the max caravan limit is Whistle , but I think its been like that for 7 years with no issues.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #122016719th Jan 2014 12:46 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As before likely to be due to low nose weight. But expect a little bounce especially over undulating roads

Post #122017119th Jan 2014 12:54 pm
Clubber

Thanks DD, that does seem to make sense with what I'm experiencing. I plan to shift some weight forward a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
 Bri

D4 HSE Luxury 

Post #122019519th Jan 2014 1:39 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Clubber,
I had exactly the same problem when I picked up our new coachman. We picked it up from Glossop and it was empty and it was not a pleasant journey to our first stop. In fact I stopped to check everything because it didnt feel right. This was our first caravan but I had towed heavier trailers behind and not had the same problem.

I loaded the nose up to about 80kgs and it helped but I still feel it on anything but smooth motorways. I may try and up our noseweight abit more. Ours is a long single axle and even the disco cant beat the laws of physics and I have got used to it. Thumbs Up

Hope this helps and you enjoy the caravan!!

Post #122021219th Jan 2014 2:13 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I tow a 1500kg single axle and it's a bit long at 24 feet.
On my previous tug I used to set the noseweight to 75kg so did the same when I got the Disco. Towed like a seesaw and not very pleasant.
I now set the noseweight to 90kg and it's far better - it's surprising what a difference 15kg can make.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #122062820th Jan 2014 1:12 am
Washwipe

England 

al cope wrote:
also, take the rear tyre pressures up to 42 (I think thats the max load pressure as started on the drivers door label of pressures). I've always found that improves towing ride behaviour.

Al

Good point regarding the tyre pressures, coming from Freelander 2 which you didn't adjust the tyres when towing, makes a big different with a Disco.

Post #122088720th Jan 2014 6:35 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Apologies in advance as I know nothing.... Embarassed

Except .... just had my adjustable tow bar and electrics removed (as not needed) Whistle

The Indy did it for me when having other work done .... he mentioned he had reprogrammed the ECU to let the car know it wasnt on anymore and wasnt towing Exclamation .... Shocked

So assuming by definition the car needs changing everytime it tows ???

Just a thought but no doubt due to my little knowledge this info is 'not applicable' ... but just in case thought I'd post anyway Rolling Eyes
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #122093720th Jan 2014 7:59 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In Oz nose weight allowed is much higher for this reason. And history of much heavier cars being used for towing.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #122121421st Jan 2014 3:19 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Bobs the ecu is programmed to alter the parking sensors so that they do not sound when selecting reverse and to make changes to the auto height setting when towing so that it does not do it automatically.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #122121921st Jan 2014 4:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >