Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Tracker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Robse

United Kingdom 

BBDisco3 wrote:
So would you suggest he just goes out and buys (or lets his Insurer provide) another brand new Disco4 HSE Lux ?

Surely better than being stuck with a car with stolen recovered record on it ? Let alone whatever the thieving scum did to it.
Would you buy a stolen recovered car ?
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #157753414th Dec 2015 3:26 pm
Washwipe

England 

Landy_andy wrote:
Robse wrote:
I think I'd change insurance company. Would you really want it back if it got stolen ?

Agree. If it's stolen I wouldn't want it back. By the time they've smashed their way in, broken bits to get it going, then been involved in a police chase, I don't want to ever see it again.

Same can be said about your house after it's been broken in to and wrecked looking for the next fix, but would you get shot of the house Question

Post #157761814th Dec 2015 5:46 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

You know some people probably do. But it's hardly the same is it ? Unless you live in your car.
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #157766614th Dec 2015 6:46 pm
Pelyma

England 

I've never seen a house thrashed by a burglar and it is what has been done mechanically that would put most off me included. I think we need to move on now chaps Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #157767314th Dec 2015 6:53 pm
PaulD3

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have the SmarTrack Protector Pro Global via Trackerfit and the mobile app is provided by Global Telemetrics so I can see where my baby is located at all times. Although I am happy with the device it did take quite a few phone calls to Trackerfit to arrange an install date.
 Discovery 4 HSE Santorini Black 2012
Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector
Ex Discovery 4 HSE Santorini Black 2010
Ex Discovery 3 SE Java Black
Ex Discovery 3 S Silver 

Post #157798015th Dec 2015 9:46 am
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Landy_andy wrote:
Robse wrote:
I think I'd change insurance company. Would you really want it back if it got stolen ?

Agree. If it's stolen I wouldn't want it back. By the time they've smashed their way in, broken bits to get it going, then been involved in a police chase, I don't want to ever see it again.

Same can be said about your house after it's been broken in to and wrecked looking for the next fix, but would you get shot of the house Question

I do know someone who had their house broken in to, not a much damage to the door, no mess inside, just some jewellery taken.

The house is up for sale...
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #157798615th Dec 2015 9:55 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Often high value cars that are stolen are not trashed, they are driven to a quiet location and parked up for a few days to see if they are tracked and recovered, so yes fit a tracker, you might just get your car back quickly and with minimum fuss.

I don't think it is classed as 'stolen - recovered' on the record unless you are paid out for it by the insurer after 30 days etc and it's then later found and sold to recover the losses.

If mine was stolen I would certainly want it back, I've waited for a few years to be able to afford one, then I had to find the right spec and condition and fit the accessories I want etc.

Post #157799215th Dec 2015 10:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
I have one of these Paul http://www.trackerfit.co.uk/land-rover-trackstar.html ...it's made by Trafficmaster Thumbs Up

Xmas has come early for me.....!! DG fitting security on his LR! Are those debates were not in vain after all!

Tracker is probably the market leader and every police force is still signed upto to them. Most forces also have their recovery equipment equipped in their vehicles.... The brilliant Mesh system they have now designed uses every other Tracker equipped vehicle to rebroadcast and pinpoint its location... Locate is the one to go for...it allows you access to viewing the files on line...very helpful if you want to plot routes or usage over the year...especially helpful for business mile claimers....

Excellent product and if it's any consolation, the one that I bought with my own money....

Post #157801215th Dec 2015 10:44 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It's not fitted because I wanted it ...it's fitted because my insurer wanted it Whistle Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #157802615th Dec 2015 11:12 am
Farmer Chalk

Well he must know the risks then!! Whistle Whistle

Seasons Greetings to you old chap... And thanks for a great years entertainment looking after us all on here! I know you've had your hands full sometimes but it is very much appreciated here!
Top man!

Post #157802915th Dec 2015 11:15 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The criteria wasn't seemingly related to risk.... it was "all motors that cost over £50k must have a tracker guv" Rolling Eyes ...pfffft !

Thank you for your kind words FC ....though it's just been a normal year on here tbh ...if there is such a thing as normal of course Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #157804515th Dec 2015 11:39 am
Pelyma

England 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
DG wrote:
I have one of these Paul http://www.trackerfit.co.uk/land-rover-trackstar.html ...it's made by Trafficmaster Thumbs Up

Xmas has come early for me.....!! DG fitting security on his LR! Are those debates were not in vain after all!

Tracker is probably the market leader and every police force is still signed upto to them. Most forces also have their recovery equipment equipped in their vehicles.... The brilliant Mesh system they have now designed uses every other Tracker equipped vehicle to rebroadcast and pinpoint its location... Locate is the one to go for...it allows you access to viewing the files on line...very helpful if you want to plot routes or usage over the year...especially helpful for business mile claimers....

Excellent product and if it's any consolation, the one that I bought with my own money....

Why do I need to see where its been? Is the basic one not sufficient, a bit like Rich I just want to comply with the insurance company terms. I can see the point that has been raised about longevity of the company and the mesh system that you mention, but if I'm not interested in plotting where its been then the basic one should do? I have another app for my creative miles Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #157804815th Dec 2015 11:46 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've had a Skytag fitted for a few years now with no issues, it's self install but it's only 3 wires (2 can go to the same +ve connection) so is simple enough to do yourself or would be a quick job for an autoelec.
They've got an offer on until 18th December - existing customers can get one for family & friends with 3 months subscription for £99.95 - if you're interested Paul give me a shout.

Whatever one you go for make sure your insurance company is okay with it as some insurers will only allow certain brands/types.
 The End  
Post #157809815th Dec 2015 1:35 pm
Farmer Chalk

It's the most supported system by Police forces and you are more likely to get your car recovered quickly...
It also reports its presence continually... A lot of the other systems including Tracker retrieve have no visibility whatsoever until it is activated by the tracking company and only after receipt of a valid Police crime reference number.... Which gives the baddies a couple of hours to search your car and find the tracker and dump it!

If you only want a Tracker for insurance purposes only ....which it sounds you do then ensure it is a minimum Thatcham Cat 6 product or your insurance company may not even recognise it Very Happy

Post #157810115th Dec 2015 1:38 pm
MiniNick

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think this was brought up in a tracker topic before, but I looked into the LandRover approved, Trackstar CAT 6 Advanced. It's the mid-level version tracker which LR offer. The benefit is that it helps stop your car being stolen in the first place.

The way that I looked at it was while all the others are great at recovering your car, and the Tracker Locate is probably the best at this (my second choice), the CAT 6 Advanced means that if anyone clones the key (which seems to be the most common form of theft) then the car will not start. Hence stopping people stealing it in the first place, which I think is a better form of protection.

While it's not completely foolproof as if your keys are stolen then yes the car will start but that's the same with most systems.

On the flip side you have to carry another fob with you, which would be annoying and I always have a worry with systems that interfere with a cars starting system. At some point it's going to go wrong and mess up the car.

My two cents

Post #158272124th Dec 2015 11:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >