DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Trailer wiring triggers ECU faults :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Trailer wiring triggers ECU faults :-(

HI all,
I recently had my boat trailer electrics all checked, and before that it was all OK on my Disco 2 anyway, but I had it checked anyway...

So now, at random times, when I plug the boat trailer in to the Disco 3, I get all the warnings/faults coming up on the dash - yesterday, after driving 4 hours, and was nearly home, I get bells sounding, HDC turning off, suspension lowering, and even "transmission warning - all gears not available"; sometimes I can reboot the car (switchoff, lock, unlock) and it's all ok, but this time, I had to unplug the trailer to make it OK.

Any ideas - even if I did have a fault in the trailer wiring, why would it trigger faults in the ECU???

cheers - and Happy new year!

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1155084th Jan 2007 1:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Simon, I have not towed anything with the D3 yet but when I first towed with the Range Rover, I had a few similar problems.

It took a while but it was eventually traced to an error in the wiring on the RR just before the plug going to the trailer connection.

I know the D3 has a slightly different set up but just a suggestion.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #1155254th Jan 2007 2:19 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks drivesafe - I guess I wanted to know if I should just assume it's dodgy trailer wiring, or if it could be a problem with the D3.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1155284th Jan 2007 2:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gazzan1

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Simon,

From memory the ECU monitors the breakcircuit for Cruise control (CC) cut out I think.
If there is a dodgy earth on one of the trailer brake lights it may reflect into the car circuit.
I had a NM Pajero that did not like my old trailer and cut out the CC all the time because of this reason.
This is especially true if the trailer uses chassis for conducting the earth return.

Regards,
Gaz

Post #12919011th Feb 2007 1:22 pm
catweasel

I don't have any issues but just dropped in to say welcome gazzan1

Post #12919111th Feb 2007 1:26 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Did you have the towing kit fiited by an LR dealer? And even if you did, did they update the 'body control unit' (BCU) to tell the car it was now fitted with the towing kit?

Post #12921011th Feb 2007 6:35 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Tow pack is standard on all Australian D3s so presumably that's done in the factory, worth checking is wasn't missed though
 The End  
Post #12921111th Feb 2007 6:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >