Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Transit-driving a***hole!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Transit-driving a***hole!

Parked up on a side road last night while I nipped into the chippy to get the kids' tea. Wife and kids sat in the car. Transit flatbed decides he can't get past, wife starts to move car for him, but he DELIBERATELY wnet past and took off the nearside mirror (apparently he drove past slowly, in a manner calculated to destroy the mirror).

LR dealer quote for damage around £250 (including the colour-coding)

Police have been informed. I have the reg number AND two independant witnesses. What do you reckon are the chances this **** will get away with it?
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #6689728th Jun 2006 12:41 pm
DavidT

Unfortunately it is likely he will get away with it unless you go through a lot of hassle. The police will probably not be interested. When my wife was hit by a vehicle on the wrong side of the road we had to go to 4 court appearances before we won our case despite having witnesses.

David

Post #6689928th Jun 2006 12:50 pm
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If the insurance company are any good then it's a no brainer. You've got his details. you reported it. You have 2 peaple that saw it happen. I'd not worry about the police or courts as the insurance companies for the sake of £250 will get in sorted ASAP rather than get tied up in the cost of a lengthy battle.

The way to ensure that your company can show his insurance company that it's a no brainer and you have all the information they need to make an obvious quick decision, on top of getting statments from whitnesses, is to take some photos with a digital camera. Park the car were it happened. Take shots of the car, the damage, street/road signs. Then find a map website that gives you arial shots. Get one printed out of the road. There are sites that can also overlay an arial photo with a drawn street map. Edit your photos with paintshop or something drawing arrows etc. showing movement of vehicles, number plates etc. With all this, police incident numbers, statements etc. provided by your company to his (he'll have nothing other than a statement), his will agree with yours that he is at fault. Drawing it out with a possible court case will cost them to much.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #6690328th Jun 2006 1:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Surely he drove away from a scene of an accident.

I thought that was against the law.

Post #6702228th Jun 2006 7:31 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you claim the £250 repair on your insurance, you'll loose your no claims bonus, so it isn't worth it. However, can't you then claim through the small claims court to recover this dept from the transit driver? Am I right in thinking the small claims court only costs £50, but then if you win the other party pays this cost too?

I bet people who drive like that don't have insurance anyway. I would persue it just to see if he is insured.
 Matt  
Post #6702628th Jun 2006 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fireman Sam

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
A thought

HI’ve hovered about the site for a while

But this post has provoked a response if I’m wrong correct me please

I’m very sorry that you have incurred damage by the transit I assume the driver carried on down or out of the street without further incident.

If so it suggests that your vehicle was the only vehicle causing an obstruction

What if that Transit was an emergency vehicle? The delay slight as maybe could cause a issues at the shout (use your own imagination) I don’t condone in any way the action of the driver, but just politely ask were ever you park just make sure an emergency vehicle can get passed. You never know one it might just be you we are coming to assist

Sam

Post #6703028th Jun 2006 8:11 pm
Ken

Hes got a point

Post #6707928th Jun 2006 8:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

His wife was trying to move it out of the way though, and if it was an emergency vehicle then fair game, but it was a Transit Twisted Evil

Sorry, but I got tw@**ed by a Transit a few weeks ago, and he did not stop either. Only cost me £25 for a new mirror glass though.

Post #6709328th Jun 2006 9:15 pm
Ken

It could be of course that the Transit driver would have hit him no matter how much room was left.

I agree thou that consideration should be made to ensure that a blue light vehicle can get past with no delay when you park up think that was Sams point

Post #6709728th Jun 2006 9:24 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Agreed Wink

Post #6709928th Jun 2006 9:27 pm
Ecosse

Really sorry to hear about that - had a similar accident but the Transit was goig at 50mph!! - wiped out the driver door mirror - had a witness & therefore pursued the driers insurance (would not involve my insurance) - discovered in my case that the Transit was wider than his side of the road!, so clearly had crossed the central line. Eventually raised a small claims action & his insurers paid up, not just the mirror cost but all my claimed expenses - cost the B***er £400 rather than £200 as a result! Interestingly in my researches I found that Transit door mirrors protrude 30+cm from the body of the van - far more than most other vehicles Evil or Very Mad

Post #6718428th Jun 2006 10:58 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ken2463 wrote:
I agree thou that consideration should be made to ensure that a blue light vehicle can get past with no delay when you park up think that was Sams point

Sam's point is valid,and one that we should all note, but in the context of what has happened to Mr. Bling, nothing can justify wilful damage.

I have seen a Fire Engine unable to get through....they just jumped out and 4 or 5 of them just bounced the motor out the way.......are you saying Sam that you couldn't do the same with a 2.75 tonne D3? Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6719128th Jun 2006 11:08 pm
Lesleym

Scotland 

To avoid the theme of wheather you should have parked re fire engines etc.
To the point, check your insurance first, I had a similar with a lorry driver a couple of years back. I had legal expenses cover with my insurance. They chased him for 3 1/2 years just to recover £350 (£100 damages and the rest for my trouble and intrest) did nothing but make a few phone calls and had great pleasure when they arrested his wages. Much joy.
 Just Bought one  
Post #6733429th Jun 2006 5:17 pm
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Update: (GOOD NEWS!)

The police caught up with the driver. He claimed he "hadn't realised" that he'd done it (BS!), gave his details, and I spoke to him last night. He is going to pay for the repair. He complained that I had got my quote from a main dealer ("...the most expensive place you could find!"), and I pointed out that a) I was entitled to, particularly as the car was less than a year old, and b) most of the cost is parts, which would have to come from a main dealer regardless of where the car was repaired.

The car is booked in for next week.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #6751230th Jun 2006 9:49 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Result Thumbs Up

Post #6751730th Jun 2006 10:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >