Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Found the Pic , this was the clamp that also caused limp mode

Post #20973293rd Nov 2019 3:46 pm
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for the response, it did not have limp mode when I bought it only ESF and fault code P132B and no performance low down <2500RPM. I will check that clamp, what fault code did you have and did the ESF come up after clearing the fault and restarting the Disco??

The Guy who sold said he went on holiday came back and battery was flat, got a booster pack to start it and the fault appeared straight after. He assumed he had blown the electronics (not out of the question but unlikely). He has driven it like this for a year Shocked and the suspension fault Evil or Very Mad Censored however seeing the list of recent invoices in the last two years not surprised.... EPB, EGRs, wishbones all bought from Land rover but fitted bay an indie

Actuator was stuck solid in the out state (towards the wheel). Have freed it up is moving freely to a point but is sticky when pushing it in so not sure it has got its full travel. Ignition cycle is working when turning on but not cycling when turning off as per you tube video. I am concerned that the turbo being in this state for a year (12000 miles) will have coked up the turbo actuator and maybe the cat.. the MAP was shocking, never seen on so bad! Think its going to a good clean out of manifold and intercoler at some point.

Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20973453rd Nov 2019 5:39 pm
longclose

Pete K wrote:
I thought you got the error message straight after start up when the linkage is stuck at one end. In the dangerous too much boost condition. I think this is when the linkage is inwards from memory

Hi Pete, originally (although not absolutely certain) the error message came up before starting the engine (after clearing the fault with Nanocom on the earlier ignition cycle) when the actuator was stuck. After I freed the actuator (which was stuck outwards, I guess that is why I never had limp mode). the ESF error message now comes up about 5 seconds after starting the engine which indicates other parameters outside of spec are triggering fault code P132B. Unfortunately Nanocom does not give the suffix to the fault code (00,21,22)

Hope this clarifies and helps.. as mentioned in a number of my posts I do not get the cycling when the ignition is turned off only when turned on. I cannot drive it until the compressor and replacement u nuts arrive on Tuesday as the compressor is cable tied in place just to raise the old girl up.
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20973483rd Nov 2019 5:59 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Maybe it doesn’t cycle because

A it’s stuck
B because of the fault code it gives up

Post #20973503rd Nov 2019 6:22 pm
longclose

Good Point Pete, Interesting thought in reference to point B I haven't checked to see if the code is there before I start the engine will try that because you may be right it is not moving far enough back from the stored voltage that kicks up the fault. Maybe the PCM only triggers an ESF when the engine starts..

With reference to point A its not stuck as next time I cycle the ignition it does the start up 5 cycles.. just think the turbo vane is coked up so its not cycling back far enough.
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20973563rd Nov 2019 6:55 pm
longclose

OK I have made some progress today but the problem still exists. Hopefully someone out there has a Nanocom which I can compare my readings.

So I have realised that the actuator is sticking at its furthest point in towards the engine, working the actuator arm I do not think will resolve this (will remove the exhaust and fill it with Mr Muscle once I have followed through below). So I went through the following process.

Ignition on cycles the actuator in and out five times finishing at the furthest point towards the engine (it starts the 5 cycles nearest the wheel).

When starting the engine the fault appears, however I went back and used a coat hanger to release the arm and sure enough it had stuck (in towards the engine). It appears that cycling the ignition it is using full power (probably PWM activated), however when starting the engine it does not have enough power to return to its running position near to the wheel. I guess this is what is triggering the fault.

I have also found that the Nanocom does read the boost actuator in the instrument section, however the reading it is giving is suspect. With the engine running at idle I can move the actuator with a coat hanger and see a change in the reading - 0.10% nearest the wheel to 0.48% towards the engine. It settles back at 0.11% when I release the coat hanger.

So if anyone has a Nanocom would they be kind enough to sart their Disco let it idle and measure the boost.act reading in the instrument section (if its the same as mine it will settle @ 0.1%. Hopefully from this I can conclude if the actuator module is stuffed and/or the next steps.

Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated..
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20975024th Nov 2019 2:30 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

The code I got was also P132B, actuator was stuck and that clamp was broke

I bought some ceramic spray and virtually emptied the can on the actuator arm whilst moving it backwards and forwards

Then as mine was a 2005 for some reason the software wasn’t there that motored the actuator arm back and forth when the ign was turned on and then off, added the software patch for that

Also found a pic that shows the turbo veins as I must admit I didn’t at first understand how they moved

Get someone to turn the ign on whilst u watch the arm, then also with the engine off

Spray the hell out of it with some ceramic spray also if u remove the heat shield ur be able to check if there’s any oil around the turbo, mine was covered in oil because of that broken clip

At least it’s something that can be done very cheaply

Good u removed and cleaned the MAP sensor

Ps, also highly recommend what pete mentions ref putting some Wynn’s vvt cleaner in the fuel tank, as u can also see from the pics the vanes are in the middle of the turbo so better putting cleaner in the tank

Post #20976285th Nov 2019 12:52 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have repaired a large number of vane type turbos on Volkswagens, on these turbos the outer turbo housing rusts up and expands putting pressure on the outer slip ring which stops the vanes operating. The only way to repair is to strip and clear the rust, additives and mr muscle will not work when this happens as they only clear soot.
I have never seen a VW turbo bocked with soot and wondered if the Discovereys have the same issue?

Post #20976405th Nov 2019 7:18 am
longclose

AJA Thanks for the experience and considered response, my instinct to your post tells me the same! The turbo has been stuck in low boost condition for over a year now so all the Censored carbon and rust has contaminated the unison ring so it cannot move to full boost (60 degrees) and sticks at the furthest point towards the engine at I believe 50 degrees.

I have now released the actuator and "worked" it well and truly. I am still getting fault P132B and my Nancom is indicating 0.50% (which I think is wrong) and stays there which I think actually is turbo vane angle 50 degrees it should go to 60 degrees so as you say its contaminated.

I have bought a spares or repair turbo off ebay for £50 which the scrap yard says was leaking oil into the exhaust (this only normally happens when piston seal gets carbon on it or crankcase is not breathing and gets pressurised) I have rebuilt a number of turbos for TD5 engines so will look at rebuilding this one with a new cartridge (anyone done this as they are very cheap starting @ £115) and then test the actuator before refitting.

The good news is that it goes like stink (250mbar on Nanocom) but I can see the actuator is still stuck @ 50 degrees and is not moving but I do not go into limp mode! At least I can now drive it so will try the Mr muscle and Wynns as I really want to help members find an economic and sure fire solution to the problem. last resort is to rebuild the spare turbo...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20977925th Nov 2019 7:54 pm
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Hi there does anyone have a contact or link for this turbo vane patch please?

Mines playing up still after the coat hanger wiggle, VVT wynns cleaner additive. Just goes back to no boost after a hour.

Did the software work for others? Or should I just buy a recon one?

If I bought one, what kind of requirements would there be to fit to my d3? Just a basic component swap or is it more complicated?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Post #21779624th Oct 2020 8:36 pm
zero

Spain 

longclose wrote:
AJA Thanks for the experience and considered response, my instinct to your post tells me the same! The turbo has been stuck in low boost condition for over a year now so all the Censored carbon and rust has contaminated the unison ring so it cannot move to full boost (60 degrees) and sticks at the furthest point towards the engine at I believe 50 degrees.

I have now released the actuator and "worked" it well and truly. I am still getting fault P132B and my Nancom is indicating 0.50% (which I think is wrong) and stays there which I think actually is turbo vane angle 50 degrees it should go to 60 degrees so as you say its contaminated.

I have bought a spares or repair turbo off ebay for £50 which the scrap yard says was leaking oil into the exhaust (this only normally happens when piston seal gets carbon on it or crankcase is not breathing and gets pressurised) I have rebuilt a number of turbos for TD5 engines so will look at rebuilding this one with a new cartridge (anyone done this as they are very cheap starting @ £115) and then test the actuator before refitting.

The good news is that it goes like stink (250mbar on Nanocom) but I can see the actuator is still stuck @ 50 degrees and is not moving but I do not go into limp mode! At least I can now drive it so will try the Mr muscle and Wynns as I really want to help members find an economic and sure fire solution to the problem. last resort is to rebuild the spare turbo...

Greetings mate.

I've been reviewing your post. And sadly, I too find myself in the same situation. What sets me apart is that I have a Tdv8 RRS and I recently swapped the 2 turbos. And I have been with the happy error code p132e22 for almost 2 years. Little by little we have been advancing in the definitive solution.

But we have already tried everything. To the point of removing and putting the turbos 4 times, without removing the body or anything. Intercooler hoses, suction hoses, maf sensors, clean map sensors (I will try the solution that the colleague comments to install a new one).

My case is very similar, if not identical. I clear the p132e22 code and start the engine. Normally the engine can be heard and revved like new for only up to 30 seconds. Once this time interval has elapsed, the fault appears on the display and the sound changes to low with the corresponding lack of power.

The connectors are checked, the hoses as well (unless some sleeve has a very small pore and is invisible to the eye). The intercooler outlet and pressure tubes are replaced with new ones. New metal clamps.

The only thing we see on the machine is that the air sensor (MAF) sucks half in when we disconnect that turbo. As long as it works well. Both MAF sensors register the same values.

I checked the 2 turbos for machine flow and actuator opening and they are both identified. And even so, the flaw keeps popping up.

I have also checked the egr valves and they are both working properly. But assuming maybe some shouldn't shut down completely and cause the problem. I have canceled them mechanically. But the error keeps popping up.

New diesel filter. etc etc ...

The data you mention is also familiar to me ... I also throttle and in idle my turbo opening data remains at 0.1%

Post #226321920th Nov 2021 9:15 am
lronly

Malta 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Zero
Have you managed to fix the problem?
I have similar issue with tdv8
Thanks

Post #23029185th Aug 2022 6:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >