Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Turbo rattle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Turbo rattle.

Some of you may have read my post back in February regarding rasping and rattling noises. Some 3,ooo miles on the noise seemed to be getting worse and was diagnosed as the transfer box. A new transfer box has been fitted but the noise continues. The dealer has now nailed it down to the vanes in the Turbo. Apparently there are two sets of vanes in the Turbo, one set is fixed and the other set is variable . It seems that when I lift off from accelerating the movable vanes are no longer under pressure and return to their "idle" position. When on the overrun the vanes are pushed in the opposite direction. When the vanes return to their idle (central?) position there is this rattling noise. Sometimes it is momentarily but I can induce it for nearly a minute. The answer given to me (surprise, surprise) is that they all do and it is a characteristic of the vehicle. Whilst accepting the the performance is not affected if there is this noise at 7,000 miles what will it be like in later life? Do any of you have this sort of rattle? Any views more than welcome.

Post #7862515th Aug 2006 7:55 pm
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have not notice anything like this after 10k

Post #7862615th Aug 2006 8:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

smells like buls**t, nearly 14k miles and no rattle at all...
Any D3's near you that are able to do a side - to - side comparison?
If not, ask the dealer to replicate the noise in his demonstrator... bet he can't 8)

Post #7863315th Aug 2006 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Marco

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hallo!

Do you have a Automatig or manual Transferbox, i think a automatic!

I have the same problem, and i know two person ho have the same, also withe an Automatic box! I don´t think that the noise cams from the Turbo, i think it is from the Gerarbox!
 Byby Marco

http://www.off-road-forum.de 

Post #7866915th Aug 2006 10:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Also sounds bulls**t to me too.

The moveable vanes in a Variable Geometry Turbo are operated by an electric motor (albeit one which will stand high temperatures). Reduced pressure on the vanes would not cause them to move, although a combination of engine speed, loading, accelerator pedal position etc could mean that the engine controller would change the position of the vanes. The vanes are a not really loose, but they do have some tolerance in them, as of course the turbo gets very hot, and they have to be able to expand without binding.

Sounds like your dealer is trying to blind you with science - don't let them get away with it!!!
 Arctic Frost TDV6 5-seat
Terrain response
Climate control
Xenons
(Yes, it's an odd spec - but I like it!) 

Post #7867015th Aug 2006 10:21 pm
10forcash

does the noise occur in any particular gear?

Post #7867215th Aug 2006 10:29 pm
THUB

Turbo rattle

The rattle seems to be there most of the time but it can be produced in Command Shift 4th or 5th at about 1500 rp m. However it is also there in the "D" mode in the auto box.

Post #7867615th Aug 2006 10:39 pm
10forcash

get them to check the plumbing of the fuel filter (seriously), there is also a TSB relating to auto gearbox rattle in certain gears, GTR is down so I can't get you the numbers yet Wink

Post #7867915th Aug 2006 10:43 pm
10forcash

Back up now....
TSB LA307-001V2
Discovery 3/LR3 - Auto Transmission Noise in Manual Gear 3
"Summary:
A customer may report a concern of an unusual noise from the transmission/drive line when driving with manual gear 3 selected under light throttle applications between 1500-2000rpm. The noise may be described as a 'scraping' or 'dry bearing noise' but is not apparent in 'D' (drive) or other gears.

This bulletin has been re-issued to correct the VIN range.

Cause: Under certain specific conditions, the torque converter causes an undetectable vibration which causes the transfer box drive chain to shake, resulting in the noise.
Action: On a customer concern basis only regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the transmission control module software"

and

TSB LA303-017
Discovery 3/LR3 - Engine Surge/Vibration at Constant Speed
"A customer may report a concern that a mild engine power surge or a mild vibration similar to an engine misfire can be felt at certain (not all) constant road speeds. The noise may also be described as a noise from auto transmission (scrape or chain noise in all gears). This noise can be induced by revving the engine in neutral (N) and the pipes to/from the fuel filter will be seen to vibrate. In some cases, diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2292 'Injector Pressure Erratic' can be logged in the control module.

Cause: The fuel filter pipe connections have been incorrectly connected (during vehicle build or during maintenance and repair), which results in reverse fuel flow through the fuel filter element (large pipes crossed), or cause high back-pressure in the high-pressure fuel pump (small pipes crossed). If the fuel tank air-bleed and high-pressure fuel pump return via the fuel cooler is crossed, the resulting pressure fluctuations cause the fuel pipes to vibrate, leading to the above complaint.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Instruction detailed in this bulletin."

Post #7868515th Aug 2006 10:55 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I've always had a slight rattle. Diminished a bit after the enhancement, but it's still there. I always thought it was just a 'diesel' rattle.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7875716th Aug 2006 12:17 am
steveho

United Kingdom 

If you cannot resolve this issue request from your dealer a visit from your regional technical manager - who will come out to your dealer and with yourself and try your vehicle(that is what they're there for)

He will determine if your vehicle has a fault or not

I don't think it's helpful people writing in their posts that the dealer in particular is talking bull***t without experiencing your issue for themselves Exclamation

Post #8076226th Aug 2006 5:15 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

steveho wrote:
If you cannot resolve this issue request from your dealer a visit from your regional technical manager - who will come out to your dealer and with yourself and try your vehicle(that is what they're there for)

He will determine if your vehicle has a fault or not

I don't think it's helpful people writing in their posts that the dealer in particular is talking bull***t without experiencing your issue for themselves Exclamation

Are you associated with a dealer by anychance.... Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8085127th Aug 2006 5:48 pm
THUB

Turbo Rattle.

No connection other than a customer since 1992 when I had a 200TDi. On the whole well pleased with them but the D3 is causing me (and them) a few headaches.

Post #8086127th Aug 2006 8:29 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
turbo

i thought the tdv6 had a varible nozzle turbo on it Question i never heard of a electric motor in a turbo i would like to see more info on this if anyone has any thanks

Post #8088927th Aug 2006 10:26 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Turbo Rattle.

THUB wrote:
No connection other than a customer since 1992 when I had a 200TDi. On the whole well pleased with them but the D3 is causing me (and them) a few headaches.

I wasnt meaning you THUB.... I was asking steveho. Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8089427th Aug 2006 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >