Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

tyre sealant, any good???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
muppetlab

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
tyre sealant, any good???

Just been approached through work by an area rep for puncturesafe touting business for puncture sealant for hgv's etc. Looks to be a fair product similar to what i used to put in my mountain bike tyres. Only concern i have is wether it will unbalance the wheels and wether used in a second set of wheels it will "run" to one side after periods of storage. Wondered if anyone has used similar products, there are a few threads on here but not much feedback it would seem. Thought maybe good insurance as when i am running the MTR's i usually only carry the crappy space saver. cheers jez
 Corrado Vr6
Disco 3 tdv6
Lr 90 3.9 v8 

Post #42863025th Feb 2009 1:33 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

Used Tyreguard for a number of years with no problem and err no punctures but then how would I know if I had Very Happy . Also does a great job of balancing the wheels without having the ugly weights round the rim
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #42869525th Feb 2009 4:50 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Is it as safe as a proper repair of a puncture. For example if it sealed the puncture but then when the tyres heated up the motorway could it suddenly blow out.

Are you meant to have a proper repair done later on if you get a puncture. Also from April next year all cars will have to be fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system (new cars), can it be used with those systems.

Post #42870725th Feb 2009 5:07 pm
muppetlab

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Apparently it is a permenant puncture repair for holes of upto about 6mm. Also helps in the event of a blow out as well, although now i am sounding like the salesman. Said to be used by the royal mail in all their fleet. Not sure about the pressure systems but from what i gather it coats the inner of the tyre with a goo which then plugs any hole and sets in the hole hence stopping the puncture. Guy i spoke to reckoned he could do the 4 tyres for about £60. Seems Well priced as a puncture i had repaired cost me that anyway plus the hassle, and you would have the added insurance when mud plugging. Seems not many people have heard of it or tested it on here so far. Maybe i will be guinea pig Shocked
 Corrado Vr6
Disco 3 tdv6
Lr 90 3.9 v8 

Post #42871625th Feb 2009 5:17 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Put it in my enclosed car transporter twin axle month before last, researched and came to the conclusion that all the products were from the same source have it be that they each had their own marketing/packaging.

Did the four wheels on my trailer, £48 from me local caravan centre, as the tyre heats up through use then the liquid is dispersed around the tyre wall through centafugal force.

As for the claim that RM use it, not sure that they do, I checked out the same claim and was told by RM that they were not aware of its use in their trucks! Shocked

If yer going to put in your D3, bear in mind would only work up to max speed of 95mph or similar. Thumbs Up

Post #42874425th Feb 2009 5:52 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

countrywide wrote:
Is it as safe as a proper repair of a puncture. For example if it sealed the puncture but then when the tyres heated up the motorway could it suddenly blow out.

Are you meant to have a proper repair done later on if you get a puncture. Also from April next year all cars will have to be fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system (new cars), can it be used with those systems.

As I said in my previous post if I have had a puncture I don't know so I have no way of knowing that it might need repairing because the sealant has sealed the puncture. So I would say it is safe to use if you have suffered a puncture. I have seen this sealant seal a hole in a HGV tyre that was made by a 10mm bolt and the tyre was still in use until the tyre was worn out

I don't see any reason why it won't work a TPM system a tyre that has suffered a puncture is sealed quite quickly so there is very little loss of pressure
Post #42874525th Feb 2009 5:53 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

character wrote:

If yer going to put in your D3, bear in mind would only work up to max speed of 95mph or similar. Thumbs Up

Tyreguard is approved upto 160mph Thumbs Up
Post #42875125th Feb 2009 6:09 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

then I stand corrected and suggest that might be the one Bow down

Post #42875425th Feb 2009 6:14 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 
Tyre Sludge....

Used it in my Scania ok till you come to change the tyre, and man what a mess, down side though it can disguise some serious tyre damage and by the time you find out its new tyre time Exclamation Exclamation
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #42876225th Feb 2009 6:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
UNG

United Kingdom 

character wrote:
then I stand corrected and suggest that might be the one Bow down

Character my post was not intended to correct you only to point out the speed limitation of the product I have used. 8) A search of the web finds various tyre sealant products each with there own claims, as i posted earlier I have used Tyreguard for a number of years without a problem
Post #42877225th Feb 2009 6:43 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

UNG wrote:
I don't see any reason why it won't work a TPM system a tyre that has suffered a puncture is sealed quite quickly so there is very little loss of pressure

Do I mis-understand the question or the answer ??
I assumed the question was related to the sealant getting INTO the TPM and blocking it's function (as if it was a leak) Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post #42909626th Feb 2009 5:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I meant will it block up the TPM system so that the valve assembly would have to be replaced. I was tempted to put it on my old car but I was always concerned that it would wreck the sensors.

Post #42911926th Feb 2009 8:50 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Will it seal leaks between the rim and the tyre. That's my big problem. My count is now at 7 tyres leaking since September 2008. And I go less off-road then I would like to.

Looks like I drive through the wrong type off sand. Whistle
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #42912526th Feb 2009 8:55 am
Ken

You could try a bead sealant a "Retail" Tyre supplier like tyre bay direct might/should be able to supply.

Prob no it is just better to go to GOOD tyre monkey to get it sorted

Post #42914426th Feb 2009 9:16 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

countrywide wrote:
I meant will it block up the TPM system so that the valve assembly would have to be replaced. I was tempted to put it on my old car but I was always concerned that it would wreck the sensors.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your question, if the sealant is installed and the valve stem is not cleared properly at installation it will block a standard valve and stop you adjusting the tyre pressure, it is simple procedure to fix the problem, it would follow that if the sealant got into the TPM system sensor there would be a problem, I think it just depends on how much you trust the installer of the sealant, alot of the DIY stuff could lead to bad experiences with valve blockages etc as people won't be aware of the issues
Post #42915326th Feb 2009 9:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >