DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Unusual Suspension Behaviour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Unusual Suspension Behaviour

Hi all

My ‘05 D3 suspension has started doing strange things over the past three weeks.
Initially, it seemed to be sinking down in height slightly when parked for a couple of days; it would only do this on the odd occasion but not always. When running, the vehicle would return to normal height, and drive fine.

Then, when I cycled the suspension height from normal to off-road, or access to normal the rear end would raise normally but the front end would take about a minute or more to slowly lift. Accompanying this was a warning message on the dash saying “suspension slow to rise”. That was last week.

This week, however, when cycling through the height settings the rear will initially raise up normally, the front end will raise up at a near-normal rate although ever so slightly jerky (pulse-like), and once the front end does get to the correct height a message will come up saying that the suspension is in “extended mode” / the rear ruspension will go to full extension but the front will stay at approximately normal height. Give the switch a flick back down and the rear end returns to normal height.
The rear suspension now seems to stay up at normal height when parked for more than a day, but occasionally the front seems to sink a little (less than an inch), but not always.

I took the vehicle on a 700km drive and the suspension seems to perform ok when under way, although perhaps I’m being paranoid now but i was beginning to imagine that it was riding slightly firmer than usual? But again, that could well be just my imagination!

Is there anything that I could try / change before I take the vehicle into the garage next week?

Many thanks in advance.
Neil.
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #203849419th Mar 2019 10:05 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The suspension will adjust itself for leveling when left to its own devices. It is possible that the compressor filter medium needs replacing also if you have the plastic end cap on the filter check for a crack between the pipes. You can buy a kit to refurbish the compressor - not hard to do.

Post #203850219th Mar 2019 10:29 pm
Cresco750

A belated follow up to this issue......and some more issues....

I took the vehicle to the dealer who informed me: “good news, your compressor is working fine, but the three valve blocks in the suspension system are leaking and need to be replaced”. I begrudgingly gave them the go-ahead to replace the valve blocks (which was a greater cost than a new compressor 🤬), and all seemed fine for about a week.
Then last week while towing the caravan there were warning messages coming up saying there was a suspension fault and the suspension was in extended mode.....while towing at 100kph! I was able to pull over, cycle the ignition and suspension up and down back to normal height and continue driving for a while. Eventually the same message came back a number of times until I was ultimately unable to get rid of it and so I had to cautiously drive back home about 300km, caravan in tow, all the while with a message warning me that the vehicle could tip over!

I called the garage and they then proceeded to tell me that maybe the compressor was had-it after all, but then acknowledged that they had tested it ok only the week before. Then they suggested that perhaps the dessicant has broken down in the compressor and blocked the brand new valve blocks?
I can’t help but wonder whether the garage didn’t actually get to the root cause of the original issue, and I don’t want to just throw more expensive parts at it without really knowing what’s going on?

I’ll be taking it back to the garage on Wednesday, but before I do does anyone have any further thoughts on what the issue could be?

Many thanks
Neil
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE

Post #204938329th Apr 2019 1:16 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

First thing is to calibrate the suspension.

you can do this yourself with GAP IID BT

Do you have LED indicators in your caravan?

Post #204945729th Apr 2019 12:12 pm
Cresco750

Unfortunately I don’t have access to diagnostic equipment so I’m at the mercy of those that do.

Not LED lights on the caravan but one of my other trailers does and to date I haven’t had any noticeable issues with them (although I am running a resister / adapter in series with the plug with the LED’s). Would this actually have an affect on the operation of the suspension?

And another thing; now the vehicle will settle down on the low stops overnight which it wasn’t doing before.

Thanks
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE

Post #204967230th Apr 2019 3:12 am
Globetrotter448

Problem now seems to be a leak - could be one of the valve block connectors, rusty tank split filter cover all can be checked via the soapy water method.

Post #204967430th Apr 2019 4:29 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I thought the suspension wouldn't do silly up/down movements when a trailer is on the back (detected using indicators lights) , but maybe I have it slightly wrong

Post #204976730th Apr 2019 12:09 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I believe you are correct, two of my trailers with LED's are undetected by the vehicle. The other two with incandescent bulbs are detected. There is a resistor fix but will get to it some day Rolling Eyes
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #204978730th Apr 2019 12:45 pm
Cresco750

Globetrotter448 wrote:
Problem now seems to be a leak - could be one of the valve block connectors, rusty tank split filter cover all can be checked via the soapy water method.

Ok, I just spent a couple of hours squirting soapy water onto the likely culprits, above, and couldn’t see any obvious signs of a leak.
I had to postpone the booking with the service centre due to work commitments, so I’ll get them to take a look next week.
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE

Post #20501792nd May 2019 12:22 am
Cresco750

Right-oh, hopefully the final entry in this saga.
The vehicle went back to the service agent, who confirmed that indeed the compressor was the issue. I was told that it was the compressor exhaust valve at fault, and that a new compressor was required. Luckily they were able to supply a low mileage /warranted used compressor, and now all seems hunky dory.

Despite them telling me that parts are not available to fix the exhaust valve I subsequently find numerous vendors and write-ups for replacing this particular part, so I’m going to have a go at overhauling my old pump so I can have it on hand as an operational spare.

Thanks again for the advice.
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE

Post #205199110th May 2019 3:59 am
Globetrotter448

You do know that you can get an exhaust valve kit to fix it. If you are overhauling it get the kit with a valve and metal end cap

Post #205199210th May 2019 5:47 am
garrycol

Australia 

Cresco750 wrote:
I was told that it was the compressor exhaust valve at fault, and that a new compressor was required. Luckily they were able to supply a low mileage /warranted used compressor, and now all seems hunky dory.

Despite them telling me that parts are not available to fix the exhaust valve I subsequently find numerous vendors and write-ups for replacing this particular part, so I’m going to have a go at overhauling my old pump so I can have it on hand as an operational spare.

Thanks again for the advice.

As you have indicated these are replaceable so I would be asking for your money back on the compressor.

Post #205201510th May 2019 7:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >