DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Very unusual suspension issue Keeps going into extended mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
scrappyloz

United Kingdom 
Very unusual suspension issue Keeps going into extended mode

Quite a long description.

Purchased a 2008 discovery 3 (SE) from auction. No sunroof so no water ingress.

Vehicle seemed fine apart from typical maintenance (cambelt, service which I carried out). I did notice that if i left the vehicle for a couple of days the car would lower itself overnight (typical cross over valve issue) but never had any problems or warning lights.

Here is where the problems began. I had to use the vehicle to trailer another vehicle around 70 miles. In the last 5 miles the yellow suspension light came on. The vehicle didn't lower so i continued the journey. After removing the trailer and restarting the vehicle the yellow suspension light disappeared so i thought nothing of it.

The next day after about 2 minutes of driving the yellow suspension light and suspension fault appeared on the dash. I drove the vehicle to my workshop and began trying to fix it.

A code read showed a fault with the rear valve block and the rear right sensor. I replaced the rear valve block and the rear right sensor. I left the car for a week or so after replacing these components as i had other things to do.
The vehicle no longer lowered itself if left for a few days so the valve block fixed this issue.

The problem i now have is that the vehicle will constantly raise itself into extended mode no matter what suspension setting you selected. if you select normal it will go to that height and then bounce to extended mode. after about 20 tries you can get it to stay into a mode without it going into extended mode.
What is very odd is it will still go into extended mode when raising to normal mode not only when lowering.

I also have no fault codes

Reading the live data shows that all the suspension sensors move fine with no issues whilst the suspension raises and lowers and none of them bottom out.

I have tried to calibrate the suspension which is very hard as it can only be calibrated when in normal mode. Also when the rear crosslink valve opens (part of the calibration) the rear right suspension jumps about 35mm according to the live data even though the suspension hardly moves. i have managed to make it calibrate but it has made no difference.

I have checked all the wiring from the ecu to the suspension plugs for the rear right and there are no problems. I have also swated the ec out which also made no difference

My question is as follows. If the car keeps trying to go into extended mode when lowering this is because it thinks its stuck on something. I have read conflicting information on what could cause this.

I am wondering if the new crosslink valve i have fitted could be faulty.

BTW the car had a new AMK compressor fitted by Land rover 500 miles before i bought it. There is also signs that they were trying to get to the bottom of this fault as well.

Post #214856323rd May 2020 10:58 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say you have an issue with the new height sensor or how it is fitted?
I believe they are position specific. side to side or front to back, not sure?
If you look in the shop section above you will see the main man sells repair looms for the height sensors, so maybe the fault it wiring related?

Post #214857924th May 2020 3:29 am
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

From memory rear sensors are different to front, if you have the iid tool when you calibrate the suspension your telling the car the heights it needs to save at normal height so it’s irelevent what the heights or switch is set at prior to calibrating
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #214858824th May 2020 6:35 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Plus 1 ^^^^

Indeed , see there also different left - right

Post #214860324th May 2020 7:38 am
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Is it just the rear going into extended mode or all four wheels?
I had a situation with mine like this with my African Disco last year.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #214861024th May 2020 8:26 am
scrappyloz

United Kingdom 

Hi thanks for the reply.
The rears are indeed sided. I 100 percent have the correct side sensor.

I have another discovery 3 i can swap parts off. I will take the sensor off my other one and try it on Tuesday.

In regards to the other questions. The entire truck raises into extended mode not just one side.
I have already soldered on a new plug and tested continuity and resistance from the ecu to the sensor and its all fine.

The live data also shows all the sensors raising and lowering equally with no spikes etc

All four corner raise and lower fine and at the same time with no restriction showing that the shocks are not binding.

In regards to coding i have launch, Snap on Versus, JLR SDD, Maxidas. I have tried with all of them

Post #214863824th May 2020 9:41 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Check over the wiring harness

Maybe one of the cross over activation wires is shorted against one of the Height sensor wire somewhere.

I guess you could unplug both and continuity check resistance between before disturbing loom

If you get desperate you could cut the 2 cross over wires at the front or at ecu
See if you get an Improvement

Maybe temporarily connect up a new cross over wire to the block (disconnecting standard wire at block )
And see if that totally fixes it

Post #214865524th May 2020 10:11 am
scrappyloz

United Kingdom 

cheers i will try that monday

Post #214882724th May 2020 7:07 pm
scrappyloz

United Kingdom 

Right. I tool the sensor off of my other vehicle and replaced it on this one (rear right). I was also able to calibrate it which was good news.

I found that after this the vehicle would be fine in normal mode..

If i tried to raise the vehicle into off road mode it would start to lift then bong and show extended mode on the dash.
I was able to lower it back to normal mode again without it bouncing so i was happy with that. For two days i was able to use it with no issues and then it all went wrong again.

I will plug it in tomorrow and keep you updated

Post #215053131st May 2020 6:51 pm
mrEb

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Did you ever find the problem as we are having same symptoms.

Post #22768183rd Feb 2022 6:34 pm
VbRover

United States 

On occasion mine does this as well, I've contributed it to snow/ice/slush blockage of the sensor arm, after a few attempts to lower and raise it seems to work itself out. I guess I'll know for sure this spring Smile

Post #22769614th Feb 2022 12:01 pm
oggy_oggy

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Had a similar thing happen to me where it would sometimes want to raise and not lower. I got the fault code C1A13 - pressure does not decrease when venting gallery. In my case it was on warranty and I got my compressor replaced but from some post op research it might have been a blocked up exhaus valve or filter issue

Post #22770344th Feb 2022 5:49 pm
scrappyloz

United Kingdom 

Hi sorry i completely forgot to close this post. Yes it did get it sorted.

Just before i bought it i found that 2 months previous the land rover had gone into a Land rover main dealer for a new hand brake module.

For some reason they removed the rear air suspension pipes from the rear crosslink valve at the same time. (there is no need to do this when replacing the HB module. They had then accidently refitted the pipes the wrong way round into the rear crosslink valve.

Post #22774786th Feb 2022 12:58 pm
mrEb

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

mrEb wrote:
Did you ever find the problem as we are having same symptoms.

Turned out to be a broken wire to front right sensor about 1 inch from plug. Repaired with a kit (new plug with approx 6 inch of wire with connectors)

Post #227861413th Feb 2022 11:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >