Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Upgraded mainbeam bulbs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shamo75

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Upgraded mainbeam bulbs?

Hi all, I'm sure this has been done but can someone point me towards a decent set of bulbs to upgrade my osram h7. My disco is a 2012 xs. Seen some HUD and LED H7, they come with a ballast will these fit in place of the standard h7 halogens?

cheers in advance

Post #188376726th Nov 2017 5:43 pm
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Iā€™d bite the bullet and buy some Xenon units. The old style Xenon can be picked up fairly cheap these days šŸ‘
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #188376826th Nov 2017 5:50 pm
shamo75

xenons?

How cheap is cheap? spent a lot on her lately and the bread knife won't be happy to see hundreds going on headlights. I'd also need them 'activating' and struggling to find anyone round my way with the tool.

Post #188377126th Nov 2017 6:05 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Your current bulbs are almost certainly the originals and therefore 5 years old, the light output of halogen bulbs declines significantly long before they fail completely. Your cheapest option would be to replace all of the dip and main beam bulbs with new, OEM quality, halogens such as the Osram H7, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by the improvement in light output for the price, I know I was when I did mine a couple of years ago.

Another thing to check is the voltage present at the bulb when the engine is running, any drop in the voltage due to dirty contacts etc significantly reduces the light output.

Factory fit HID lamp units are almost certainly better than halogens but they are very expensive as a retro fit and some after market HIDs are very dubious, I drive my D3 very briskly at times on some very dark and dirty roads and find that a well maintained set of halogen lamps is more than adequate.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #188393527th Nov 2017 1:50 am
garrycol

Australia 

I have 55 watt 5000K HIDs in my low beam projector and these work great - the cutoff is the same as the Halogens (this is determined by the housing not the globe) so no increase in range but the light is so much brighter and work well. The ballasts fit inside the light housing held with velcro dots and the ballast wiring is compatible with the standard wiring so no cutting required.

Worked straight off - no enabling required.

I also fitted the same HIDs to the hi beams - again the ballast also fits into the light housing. When on these are great BUT being HIDs they do take a little while to light up so when you flicked to high beam it took a few seconds to get full brilliance (well any brilliance) which I found to be not so good when looking for kangaroos on the road when driving around town at night.

So I took the HIDs out of my Hi Beam and changed to a hi output - supposed 4300k halogen bulb. Well the actual heat is about 3800K and for sure I got instant light when I go to Hi beam but the light is not good.

I have investigated LED hi beams and the light is OK but there is no range at all. I am considering 120w white halogens but these will require a different wiring setup to handle the power and I have not got around to it yet.

The other alternative is to leave the lights as they are and get hi power spot/drive combination driving lights but these are expensive, require a mounting bar and dedicated wiring with separate on/off switch in the cabin but still linked to the OEM hi beam circuit so not the easiest to install.

As suggested I would try out some of the hi output Osram Halogens and see if there is anything that suits.

Garry

Post #188393727th Nov 2017 3:02 am
shamo75

bulbs

Did you buy these online? if so can you post a link, cheers

Post #188423727th Nov 2017 8:59 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Not sure about the UK but hi output halogens are sold through local auto parts suppliers.

A quick google of UK suppliers comes up with https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-n...imited-h11

or https://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-UNLIMITED...B00EPLCPRG

There are many more listings as well and different globes.

Post #188429928th Nov 2017 12:19 am
al cope

England 

asked the same question yesterday in relation to the headlamps in my missus's renault. Hers uses H1 bulbs. I have a set of Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 130% to pick up from Eurocarparts later today (got the blackfriday deal so 17quid for the pair) so will fit and see what light these give later.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #188431728th Nov 2017 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd

England 

I asked same question on Mitsubishi forum because my PHEV came with brilliant led low beam but rubbish halogen high beam

Osram Nightbreaker and Philips Extreme were recommended but I've read they don't last long - tend to burn out quicker Confused
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #188432428th Nov 2017 8:52 am
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Used to fit Osram Nightbreaker but they never lasted long so a couple of years ago I swapped to Phillips X-treme & have only just had to replace one of them in the D4 so my vote goes to the Phillips 130% brighter. Very good light too Thumbs Up
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import šŸ˜Ž)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White ā€“ sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #188433728th Nov 2017 9:29 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

When I've stuck to e-marked bulbs, the Ring updated ones were good and I never noticed them having shorter life expectancy but if the aim is to generate more output from same input then something has to give.

Best output will generally be more yellow as the whiter lights are simply filtering out the yellow.

Given you specifically want better mainbeam output so it won't be on when it could be a nuisance to oncoming traffic, I'd go with "off-road use only" bulbs.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #188435128th Nov 2017 10:07 am
TheWhippet

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

VVS210 wrote:
Used to fit Osram Nightbreaker but they never lasted long so a couple of years ago I swapped to Phillips X-treme & have only just had to replace one of them in the D4 so my vote goes to the Phillips 130% brighter. Very good light too Thumbs Up

Same here...Osram night breakers never lasted more than 6 - 8 months (had 3 sets). The Philips Xtreme lasted at least 18 months in my last Disco 2 before I sold it. Just bought some Philips Xtreme +150's in Black Friday sale. Just need to find out how to change them now.
 Tony

Post #188441128th Nov 2017 12:18 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

^^^^^

Bonnet up, grill out, lift locking tabs, remove headlamp complete, unplug, set down on open tailgate (carpet covered so no scratching), remove cover & replace bulb. Refitting is the reverse of removal!

Re the Phillips X-treme, I put a pair in the other half's Freelander - she came home on Friday saying she had a bulb out so I put a new one in, by Monday morning I had replaced both - pretty good quality control I'd say as they went within a couple of days of each other after nearly 2 years in the car Thumbs Up
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import šŸ˜Ž)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White ā€“ sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #18868315th Dec 2017 12:57 pm
TheWhippet

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for that...a lot easier to change than on the old D2.
 Tony

Post #18879818th Dec 2017 1:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >