Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

why does my V8 LR3 feels sluggish
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

caverD3 wrote:
Put it in neutral and see if it coasts or slows. This will tell you if it is transmission or brakes tyres. Are the tyres the same diameter as the OEMs?

Whistle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40437318th Jan 2009 10:36 am
DiscoStu

England 

Thumbs Up

And from another thread:

SJR wrote:
LAKV8 wrote:
Jonty wrote:
You can go up to an overall diameter of about 31.5" - 32"(very tight with std suspension) but check for rubbing on access height.

Jonty the diameter of the wheel is 28 inches. These 22's along with the low profile tyres were smaller then the 19's i took off. So potentially i could replace them with tires 3 inches bigger which should do the trick.

thanks

This might also suggest why your performance is down!

The tyres are 3.5" smaller diameter than standard, would mean each full revolution of the wheel is taking you less distance - just a thought Thumbs Up
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #40438818th Jan 2009 11:15 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

One way to check if the EPB is dragging is to lightly (with the back of your hand) touch the drum part of the rear brakes. If some skin sticks to the drum, then the drum is dragging. See my photos to see what happens if you drive for 5 hrs straight at 100km/hr with a dragging EPB. Big Cry
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #40570320th Jan 2009 6:40 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: davesimmons

LAKV8 wrote:
I thought it was called an LR3??
Is the name of this site and the badge on the tailgate (I'm assuming you have looked at the back of yours) not a clue? Rolling Eyes
They're only LR3's in the Middle East and North America
 The End  
Post #40570620th Jan 2009 6:53 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DingMark wrote:
See my photos to see what happens if you drive for 5 hrs straight at 100km/hr with a dragging EPB. Big Cry

Wasn't that fun. Rolling with laughter
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40570820th Jan 2009 7:02 am
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: why does my V8 LR3 feels sluggish

LAKV8 wrote:
when im driving my LR3 and i take my foot off the gas it seems to slow down noticeably quicker

You will get this effect as you have altered the overall gearing downwards, the good news is that you will have increased the acceleration by the same margin, your speedo will read impressively high and you will have more noise and possibly a lower top speed as the speed limiter will kick in lower.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #40571320th Jan 2009 8:10 am
Paul Lisseter

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had a similar problem early 2008 on my v8. When slowing down it felt as though the engine had cut out. In fact a couple of times going from fast to slow at a motorway roundabout I had to pull to the side as the speed went down to slow walking before picking up.

Never really found out the true reason but LR dealer was able to install/ reinstall software and also when checked on the inlet manifold found quite a bit of carbon deposit so they cleaned. I also used a couple of packs of fuel system cleaner additive ( the once in 12000 mile stuff) have always been very sceptical about such things but problem was solved.

As I say though never really knew what caused prblem so can't be sure what the problem was. Good luck with it

Post #40573620th Jan 2009 9:05 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The V8 also has EGR doesn't it?

Post #40588620th Jan 2009 2:10 pm
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Jonty wrote:
The V8 also has EGR doesn't it?

Yes, but it's doesn't have nearly the impact on petrol/gasoline as it does on diesel - unless it's completely bunged and that doesn't happen nearly as frequently as on the diesel.

LAKV8, in thinking about this over the weekend, I think that for some reason your setup is causing the ABS controller to engage. The ABS controller can and does signal for reduction in engine torque under certain circumstances. [Although, I would think that traction control would be indicating on the instrument cluster...]

Some possibilites:
    - ABS controller getting confused with the really small wheel/tire combo (28" dia. is 6.5" less rolling distance/rev). This could happen during turns when the wheel speed sensors aren't matching up with the steering angle
    - Wheel speed sensor problems. The "harshness" of your setup could be causing the wheel speed sensors to be misreading.

If you put the original wheels back on, does this problem continue to occur? Also, did you end up changing the ride height electronically?

Post #40595020th Jan 2009 3:34 pm
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If there is a fault with a brake binding, tyres rubbing or simply being weighed down by all the polish then you might have noticed a drop in your fuel economy.

I have a V8 and it is responsive when driven harsh but clings onto the gear longer - so hard accelleration along a straight to then ease off to a cruising speed results in engine breaking. This doesn't happen if you accellerate gently.

There was a valid point made about wheel size and possible confusion to the wheel speed sensors. I suspect that as you have all wheels the same then this isn't an issue. The ABS is normally felt kicking in on cornering if you have low tyre pressure at one or more wheels. Reports of similar effect from mismatching tyres.

Most sensible suggestion I read was to try using the manual gears and looking at the effect when you have control over the gear box. It is normaly for the vehicle to still change down or up if your right foot demands more power or if you are threatenning the rev-limiter.

Post #40860024th Jan 2009 11:32 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Did you have it in Snow and Ice mode?
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #40920326th Jan 2009 11:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >