DISCO4.COM > General

Valuation help please on a D4 and D3.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Valuation help please on a D4 and D3.

Hi all, after some guidance please.

Disco 4 - 2010 XS 140k miles with an engine fault. As you know, I had the crank go 3 yrs ago. Had new crank block and turbos from Oval autos. It's had a new water pump, fan and associated bits with that earlier this year at over £2k. Now has an engine fault where it is running rough. Accelerator doesn't do anything while it is running. Had to get it dropped off near house late at night. Don't know local garages well enough to come out to look at it. They are also very busy. Not sure if there is a knocking on the engine. As it sounds rough, I don't like leaving it running for long. Can't justify anymore spent on it. Needs to go. Had it at around £4k, now down to £3.6k. Most people just send a message offering £1k, and not wanting to come and check it out. Nothing showing as a fault on IID or Snap-On computer
Looking for rough asking price. Body work is in good condition for age.

So secondly, this all happened just before heading off to France with the tin tent. The D4 was already up for sale at around £8.5k. I quickly bought a D3 to do the job for me. We have decided to reset everything, so wanting to sell the D3 as well.

So, advice also please on what I should be asking for a 06 D3 HSE with 103k on the clock. Good service history, and benefitted from new tyres all around and new discs and pads on the front in Sept. I bought it for £8k in July, as it was the best I could get at short notice, delivered, new MOT etc from a garage. I put it up for the same £8k, and just keep getting offers of less than half.

Fair enough, I haven't advertised either on here yet, but need to know reasonable prices to sell for.

TIA

Richard
 MY07 Freelander2 SE Santorini Black - Gone
MY10 D4 XS Buckingham Blue
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #231129016th Oct 2022 7:58 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Can’t really help with a value on the D4 but going by previous posts you may realise more value selling as parts… wait for it Laughing

As for the D3 I honestly think you paid over the odds for it and I’ve seen similar cars up for £5.5k from private sales but maybe that was a bit low… in the end it’s worth what someone will pay for it no matter what value you put on it. If you’re prepared to wait then you might get £6-6.5k but I can’t see it going for much more than that -sorry.. others may disagree

As a comparison I have a Bateson 12x6 trailer that I’m selling for a lot less than other trailers and but have had no interest whatsoever.. I guess people have less money than three months ago..
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #231131516th Oct 2022 9:54 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

16yr old d3 for 8k needs to be bloody superb, people are scared of complex/old/high mileage/gas guzzlers.
I reckon my 150k 06 is worth maybe 2 to 3k at best, and that is with everything working.

D4 with potentially knackered engine is parts value only, hence the 1k offers, some young buck might pay more if they think they can fix it.

Post #231146917th Oct 2022 2:56 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Start with a WBAC quote and deduct 10% (they’ll deduct the same or more on inspection).

Then get on Autotrader and use the filters to find similar age/mileage examples and see what the asking prices are.

Between the two you should get a reasonable feel for the market.

Prepare to be disappointed though.

Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #231147517th Oct 2022 3:13 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

And there is me looking for a smaller trailer Nige, but the round trip of 1,260 miles would be the klller cost.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #231147717th Oct 2022 3:32 pm
Rnclayton

lynalldiscovery wrote:
16yr old d3 for 8k needs to be bloody superb, people are scared of complex/old/high mileage/gas guzzlers.
I reckon my 150k 06 is worth maybe 2 to 3k at best, and that is with everything working.

D4 with potentially knackered engine is parts value only, hence the 1k offers, some young buck might pay more if they think they can fix it.

Thanks. I know I paid above, but needed the vehicle in 3 days delivered. Also needed that size.

I know I’m going to be disappointed, seems like everything I do with the older LR’s is disappointing.
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #231148017th Oct 2022 3:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The problem is that by the time you've added in a recon engine (NWS was £4.2 for one) and the labour you're close to £11k if you add in your sale price as it is now. Even when running you wanted £8k for it.

Sadly it doesn't make sense unless you were going to keep it. Its only value is in parts.

If you did want a second opinion, then Corsham Tyres are excellent. Its an odd name for a brilliant garage that looked after all my D3s and D4. They really know their stuff. Thumbs Up

Speak to Darren. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #231148117th Oct 2022 3:55 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Rnclayton wrote:
lynalldiscovery wrote:

Thanks. I know I paid above, but needed the vehicle in 3 days delivered. Also needed that size.

I know I’m going to be disappointed, seems like everything I do with the older LR’s is disappointing.

I know I have three!

Though I have to say the older they are, the simpler and cheaper they are to fix.

Td5 onwards they started to get complicated.

Post #231154318th Oct 2022 7:38 am
Rnclayton

Thaks for your comments.

D4 now gone. Even after all that was said, he thought he could drive it onto the trailer! Luckily there was a hand winch on it, but that cable almost snapped. At least that one has gone now. Just the D3 next.
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #231226023rd Oct 2022 11:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >