DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Vibration over 55mph , fingers crossed now resolved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 16 123 ... 141516>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Vibration over 55mph , fingers crossed now resolved

Hiya

So went out today down the dual carriageway , noticed over 55mph I get like an engine vibration, it then came up engine fault and Into limp mode

Pulled over turned engine off and back on again and was all ok until I hit 55 mph plus

Got home and took some fault codes , I did get it serviced a little while back and only used it around town , service consisted of genuine oil filter , , mahle fuel filter , engine oil, air filter

Egrs have been blanked for ages

Just wondering if there’s anything obvious I should look at first plse

Things I’m wondering is, if the fuel filter pipes were put on wrong could this cause the issues plus wondering why I’m not fuel rail pressure sensor readings , surely it wouldnt run if that had accidentally been left unplugged

I cleared all the faults and so far nothing has come back , just that vibration over 55mph

Many thks and as always extremely grateful

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 1st Oct 2022 11:06 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #22651622nd Dec 2021 8:39 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Sorry I have no idea, but I want to keep this current until someone with knowledge comes along.
 David

Post #22651712nd Dec 2021 9:31 pm
gstuart

Bless u Thumbs Up

That fuel rail pressure sensor is bugging me as if I’m reading it right the turbo actuator arm motor isn’t getting any power ???

Have got a fuel pressure gauge so can test the LPFP side which I assume will be able to tell me if the fuel filter pipes are correct , but of course am guessing there , really trust the garage that does the servicing every year for me and never had an issue

Alas I normally just use it for driving around town so to be honest going onto a dual carriageway as shown up the fault so don’t really know how long the faults been there

If it an electrical issue I’ve got multimeters etc so can bell the loom out , fingers crossed it’s something simple

Thks again

Post #22651792nd Dec 2021 10:21 pm
Lumi

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just man in the street here: the injectors seems to be pretty much ok, mine are a bit more even but similar, I think the fuel rail pressure can’t be zero but again I’m not expert by any means.
Why don’t you try to record few live stream showing the engine revvs and car speed and try to catch what value change when you start getting the vibration? Something odd surely is going on in the fuel pressure department, you also had a fault code for it.
I’ll have a look at the values on my car tomorrow just to have a reference.

Post #22651932nd Dec 2021 11:11 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Gary, so you've finally broken it. Laughing

Well it looks like you're turbo actuator connection/wiring might have an issue, and it would indeed be worth checking if the fuel lines are connected correctly by the garage. Beyond that there's not much else jumping out as the injector values are all good. There is no signal for the fuel rail pressure sensor which is why you're not seeing it. Instead the fuel pressure reading is what matters and this is provided by the FRPS. There are fuses which control the VCV and the PCV so it might be worth a peek there too just in case there's any corrosion on them.

It might be better to switch your tool settings to metric measurements as most of us are now used to working this way, and it's easier to spot an issue. (well for me anyway)

Is your garage a LR indy or a Heinz 47?

Edit:
Some "live values" for you to do a comparison!! These were taken on a cold engine! I know you weren't using the car for a while so it could just be a low battery, it could also be furry gremlins paring their teeth on your wiring. Rolling Eyes Hopefully not, ping me if you need anything else Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22652093rd Dec 2021 12:01 am
gstuart

Thank u so much as always for the awesome help, it’s so appreciated

Who me break something , never Laughing , Will change my gap iid to metric as indeed will make life easier to compare

When I dont use the landy it’s plugged into my ctek to ensure the batteries don’t drop below 12.6 Vdc , once charged unplug it and leave it for 3-4 x weeks before it needs charging again if I don’t use it again in that time

Did do some live data but to be honest I’m not skilled enough to interpret them correctly , think though I lifted my foot off when I got the vibration , did have the fuel filter changed by the garage who works on all motors, gone to him for ages and always found him very good , hopefully I’ll be able to see the fuel filter connections from the wheel arch and don’t have to get underneath as i currently unable to crawl under the landy

Ah I see ref the fuel rail pressure sensor , so apologises for the daft question, does that mean I won’t ever see readings from this sensor plse

Thks so much once again , will have a look around on top of the engine at the connectors etc to see if there’s anything obvious

Some pics and that’s up to around 55mph , did back off as soon as it started to get the vibration

Hope this pics may be useful and will report back on what I’ve checked and if I find anything

Thks again and would be awesome to also get some more data as a comparison plse Bow down

Put ur one here Den , many thks and will also do a screen the same to see how they compare

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #22652153rd Dec 2021 3:21 am
gstuart

just looking at the data from mine when I was doing around 30-55mph is my MAP suppose to be that high in g/s readings plse

Plus if i plug in a fuel pressure gauge onto the fuel shrieder valve would that tell me if the fuel filter connections are correct plse or is the only way to physically check the hoses orientation plse

Many thks

Post #22652173rd Dec 2021 3:30 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ISTR Mahle D3 fuel filters have a push/stick on colour coded card on the connections, might be worthwhile checking, a mirror might help without disconnecting.
Is it possible as you only do short journeys the exhaust(catalist) needs a good long run for a burn out?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #22652353rd Dec 2021 8:45 am
Lumi

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I was evidently wrong, fuel rail pressure is n/a for me also.
There are master here so I better leave it to them, sorry Gary if I misled you.
Here some value for comparison anyway.

It seems that I have something to be worried too Neutral

Post #22652493rd Dec 2021 10:19 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
just looking at the data from mine when I was doing around 30-55mph is my MAP suppose to be that high in g/s readings plse

Plus if i plug in a fuel pressure gauge onto the fuel shrieder valve would that tell me if the fuel filter connections are correct plse or is the only way to physically check the hoses orientation plse

Many thks

No the fuel pressure won't be specific enough to tell if the pipes are on incorrectly, visual as M3DPO says is the only way. As for your earlier question re the fuel rail pressure sensor, just select "Fuel Pressure" in live values as this is taken from that sensor and ignore the option called "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor"

Have a look at "Boost Pressure Actuator" and "Boost Pressure Adjustment" Select them and post them here as I suspect your wiring/connector might be at fault. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22652583rd Dec 2021 11:48 am
gstuart

Thanks so much , apologises for the late message , just felt worn out after going out for the day , but getting there

Ordered myself a second hand Mac laptop as my old one died on me, I can update the gap iid

Then it’s supposed to be a bit warmer on the next few days so I can get out and check that fuel filter , plus the rock sliders were fitted at the same time of the service

Fingers crossed it’s something simple as throughout the year it’s been fine

Will of course update so it can also help others

No probs ref the fuel rail pressure , it just through me when it came up NA

Thks a million as always and will let u know how I get on next week

Post #22653654th Dec 2021 6:13 am
gstuart

Lumi wrote:
I was evidently wrong, fuel rail pressure is n/a for me also.
There are master here so I better leave it to them, sorry Gary if I misled you.
Here some value for comparison anyway.

It seems that I have something to be worried too Neutral

Plse no probs at all, hope u don’t mind me adding that ur battery voltage is extremely low

Is bugging the hell out of me and will check the fuel filter first and go from there

Thks again

Post #22653714th Dec 2021 8:20 am
MHP

England 

Garry, is the judder localised to one area or does the whole car do it? Not the dreaded torque converter judder is it? Shocked
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #22653724th Dec 2021 8:21 am
gstuart

M3DPO wrote:
ISTR Mahle D3 fuel filters have a push/stick on colour coded card on the connections, might be worthwhile checking, a mirror might help without disconnecting.
Is it possible as you only do short journeys the exhaust(catalist) needs a good long run for a burn out?

Many thks and must admit throughout the year it’s been fine , but that’s a good point ref the cat

Will get round checking the filter first and go from there on the other engine connectors

Plus wonder if a connector has been removed and caused a bad connection when reinstalled on the engine trust the mechanic who’s always been very good and maybe something has happened seeing it was driving fine and only noticed it when I drove on a dual carriageway

Will of course let u know asi go through it step by step

Thks again and very grateful

Post #22653734th Dec 2021 8:26 am
gstuart

MHP wrote:
Garry, is the judder localised to one area or does the whole car do it? Not the dreaded torque converter judder is it? Shocked

Hiya

Many thks, It feels like it’s the engine that shudders as soon as I go over 55mph , revs don’t fluctuate

It’s quite a shudder like ur driving on an uneven road as I first thought it was the road condition , then limp mode and engine error came up so pulled over , checked under the bonnet as was fearful that oil had leaked , oil light didn’t come on

Sat in the landy and it revved freely with no noises , then pulled off and drove under 50 mph u til I could get off the dual carriageway

Thks again

Post #22653744th Dec 2021 8:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 16 123 ... 141516>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >