Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Wandering when I hit white lines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The British Pendulum test is applied to road markings, iirc.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #211352717th Jan 2020 11:56 am
HI SOOB

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The Tyres are 255 55 20, which I am aware should be a 50 profile.
As i say, they came of a new FullFat RR, but were on the Disco for six months prior to the bushes being replaced, without any problems.

Its now had all four shocks changed, plus every single bush/arm front and back, roll bars, drop links, inner and outer steering joints.

*Note that all of the above was being done due to me wanting to have all parts replaced to provide a good starting point as a camping/overseas touring vehicle. The garage hasn't just thrown parts on in a bid to cure the wandering issue.
Ironically, the wandering issue has been a bi product of the new parts. Or so it would appear.

Have asked them to fit a set of 255 50 20 Verdes to get it onto the profile its supposed to have, plus address the uneven wear and the fact they are getting down to 4mm.
Might as well start the year on new rubber.

White lines. Some of them up my way are like bloody mounds of tarmac. And the specific ones that make the old girl pull side to side are very prominent .
Obviously its typically the Off side that is riding a white line. But I have crossed right over and had the near side run on them and it has the same results. Pull and pushing.

Steering column has no play, that can be found.
A light rattle up the top at most.

Will update when the tyres are fitted and see if that's any improvement.

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

Post #211356317th Jan 2020 1:37 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Iā€™d fit a set of 19 rims with the 255-55-19 standard size tyres. Much better all round in my option and cheap and easy to find a good used set.

Even better fit a set of 18ā€ Compomotives. šŸ˜€
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #211357017th Jan 2020 1:45 pm
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Seems like the tyres might be the issue but just to add.

Can it be assumed that the garage fitted the arms correctly? That is, they tightened the bolts with the hub in the correct position? This would mostly affect the longevity of the bushes however it can cause bump steer etc if not correct.

Secondly, I have found very few places capable of proper wheel alignment on D3's. The air suspension makes its tricky. If the wheels are on a grippy surface such as a ramp, they aren't necessarily "relaxed" and may have some camber - not to mention the height can lower or raise when entering/leaving the vehicle and when the vehicle is stationary at full lock for more than a few seconds.

Essentially it is possible have perfect alignment on the ramp and the minute you drive off it, its wrong again.

side story, one place I tried to have it done had a steep ramp into their workshop followed by a 5 point shuffle to get onto the ramp. By the time the vehicle was on the ramp, the wheels were "stressed/taut/twisted" what ever you want to call it, and the air suspension not sitting as it should. Made alignment impossible as far as I was concerned.

Post #21191037th Feb 2020 3:28 am
HI SOOB

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Harry,

Yes, I trust the garage with my vehicles, as I have known them for many years and to add, they prepare touring cars/race cars as part of their business.
There is a dedicated 4 post ramp with the sliders on it, purely for this setting up of suspension and for the reasons you mentioned.

Since my last post, I have had four struts fitted, one of the fronts had started to fail.
It then had another alignment check and set up.

Now she's sat on a full new set of arms from Advance, with the Meyle Bushes, New Anti Roll bar bushes and drop links all round.
New Bushes in the rear Hubs
'
And I have a set of 19" Evo DarkZeros with A02 rubber waiting to get fitted when I return to the UK next week.

My wifes driven the Disco sicne the work and says its better since the new Struts, but not perfect.
Its all pointing toward the tyres at this moment.

If I was home, they would be on!!

Post #21192117th Feb 2020 1:23 pm
HI SOOB

LT wrote:
Iā€™d fit a set of 19 rims with the 255-55-19 standard size tyres. Much better all round in my option and cheap and easy to find a good used set.

Even better fit a set of 18ā€ Compomotives. šŸ˜€

Took the advice one further !!

Went to an 18"

Stand by for updates.

Cheers

Post #21192147th Feb 2020 1:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >