Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Wandering steering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Wandering steering

Last Wednesday I fitted a new steering rack as part of my hunt for a problem with play in the steering i.e. 50mm slack at the steering wheel, leading to wandering while driving.

This problem has been there for some time and gradually I've worked through the system to eliminate it, new track rod ends and lower shaft (seized UJ) early last year, inner steering rack ball joints around Halloween. and still no joy. So new rack last week, noticeably stiffer, but still 50mm at wheel, not helped by a failed track rod end (possibly damaged in a small accident a wee while ago, but renewed on Friday), still slack present.

Finally resolved to work though the whole system today, section by section, from the wheel down. Airbag off, checked the steering wheel nut, nothing there, upper steering shaft check, lower steering shaft (had to use borescope to see joints while moving wheel back and forth). Top joint OK, but notices something in the lower UJ, just not quite moving in unison with wheel. So down on the ground and shaft off.

First thing I noticed was a lot of grease just below the silver foil covered (collapsable) section, because I got it all over my hands and trousers, but didn't think much of it. Couldn't see any movement while first manipulating it in my hands so put lower clamp in vice. Flexing of the rubber damper was notable, then I saw it, there was differential movement between the two collapsable sections, maybe 5º of rotation, with some contribution from the damper, the UJ itself was fine.

Hope that fitting a new one, tomorrow, will sort everything out, as everything from rack to wheels is good.
Also hope shaft 's under guarantee as it's not yet a year old.

Post #213055922nd Mar 2020 5:09 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

Was it a genuine shaft you used or an aftermarket one?
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #213059822nd Mar 2020 7:20 pm
Alphamale

Can't remember, will be checking with my indi' when I see them in the morning, but at £225 I think it was genuine.

Post #213060222nd Mar 2020 7:29 pm
Alphamale

"NAILED IT" Wandering steering

As per the updated title, everything sorted and steering now as tight as a drum.

Visited my Indi' and got a replacement lower steering shaft. Initially I was given a direct replacement for the defective one, but when I manipulated it in my hands I could see that there was free play in the collapsable section (not a good start). Turns out that this shaft was not genuine so I asked if they had a genuine one in stock to compare it with.

Genuine £60 dearer, but rock solid and in my opinion worth the extra. So back home, got it fitted and out for a test drive. Perfect, not so much as a hairs breadth of slack, just like new.

It turns out that maybe I didn't need the rack, but hey ho, it's done now.

So to anyone else who's in the same boat, especially if you've just fitted a new lower shaft because the UJ's seized, don't start fitting suspension arms, bushes, struts or anything else before you've removed the shaft and checked for free play in the collapsable section. And to anyone else who's chasing the same problem with free play and wondering steering, the same advice stands.

Forget about trying to see the fault just by shaking the steering wheel, it's so hard to see as to be almost imperceptible. You have to check it in your hands.

One final note, you'll know if you have a genuine one or another because the genuine ones are stamped (post manufacture) with a code on the UJ clamp (it's not painted over)

Last edited by Alphamale on 23rd Mar 2020 8:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #213082423rd Mar 2020 2:17 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

Thanks for updating.

It seems that a few people have had issues with non-genuine lower steering coloumn shafts.

Glad it's all sorted for you Thumbs Up

Do you have a video of the play by any chance?
 Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey 

Post #213091923rd Mar 2020 6:12 pm
Alphamale

No, sorry didn't record it.

Post #213097423rd Mar 2020 8:40 pm
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: "NAILED IT" Wandering steering

Alphamale wrote:
A

It turns out that maybe I didn't need the rack, but hey ho, it's done now.

I too had a wander at the wheel with the same play in my wheel, I had my indy initially replace the lower steering column for a clonk which turned out to be the suspension bushes (now have Superpro fitted and they are great) it was only after he'd fitted the new non-genuine steering column that I noticed the wanter which he diagnosed as being caused by the steering rack, so a recon rack was fitted and I still have the wander so genuine LSC now purchased and will be fitted which I'm confident will sort the play and wander!
 D4 2014
1965 Land Rover series 2A (200Tdi) 

Post #21659265th Aug 2020 7:59 pm
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well my indy has just dropped off my D4 with the genuine lower steering column fitted and sure enough the 5 degrees of slack has gone and the steering is now perfect.

No matter how similar a non genuine seems to be it seems that only the [expensive] genuine LSC delivers.

Thumbs Up
 D4 2014
1965 Land Rover series 2A (200Tdi) 

Post #217017426th Aug 2020 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >