Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wtd: All Other Items

[Found] Discovery 3 oil pump / crankshaft oil seal fitting tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Defenderless

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
[Wanted] Discovery 3 oil pump / crankshaft oil seal fitting tool

Looking for a Discovery 3 oil pump / crankshaft oil seal fitting tool to buy or borrow need asap

Post #225145515th Sep 2021 12:16 pm
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

A possible alternative is the plastic guide which comes included with the Victor Reinz seal. (£5.51 + postage from AF).
Whether you use the VR seal or not this is an economical way to get a useable tool.
Genuine LR seals are recommended but can be hard to obtain.
Have you got a seal yet? and if so could I ask how much was it?.

John

Post #225147515th Sep 2021 2:39 pm
ronald.soak

Defenderless, given that this was your first post, I wonder if you're aware that the crankshaft pulley on the D3 is not keyed to the shaft and the crankshaft and camshafts should be locked before the bolt is undone. There are 2 different sizes of crankshaft bolt which are tightened either very tight or very very tight. The bolt must be replaced not reused.

Welcome to the forum. Apologies if you are aware of the above. If not details of the tools needed and advice can be provided or found on this site.

John

Post #225148015th Sep 2021 2:58 pm
Defenderless

Hi ronald.soak thanks for reply and info I'm stood in dealer as I type and no seal and no idea on lead time at all and cost to them is £23 so easily a lot more to me if they could find one 🙄 i have just fitted one of the AF seals and after 250 miles I have a bad oil leak so don't know about ordering another one with out a better way of guaranteed no leaks and correct fitting hence the reason I'm looking for the tool all looked and was good when fitting 🤔 any other suggestions gratefully taken

Post #225149915th Sep 2021 4:16 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have fitted hundreds of the VR oil seals and only had one that leaked and that was on my own car, it was the first one I did without the tool.
All the rest have been fitted with the OEM tool's, its important not to twist the seal on the crankshaft and use the correct tool to insert it all the way in.

Advance Factors have the seal's.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #225150515th Sep 2021 4:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defenderless

Thanks Flack for info this was my first so now trying to find the correct tool as don't want to do it all again all seemed ok at fitting 🙄
Any ideas on were to get the tool ? I'm in Northamptonshire
Only places I've found are bloody expensive just to fit hopefully 1 more seal

Post #225150915th Sep 2021 5:02 pm
ronald.soak

Defenderless, Sorry that you are having problems. You are in the company of many who have used non LR seals, although Flack has the skill to be successful with the VR version.

I assumed that you were looking for the £140 tool that is used to get the seal onto the shaft and that maybe the one that you hope will be more successful. Flack refers to a second tool, which I think costs about £70, that is used to insert the seal 1mm into the pump. Depths less than this risk failure because a chamfer reduces the contact area with the outside of the seal. On older pumps greater insertion depths risked partially blocking an oilway but the latest pumps have a stop so the seal can be inserted further with the possible advantage of avoiding bearing on any slight wear on the shaft. This tool also has the advantage of drawing in the seal parallel to the shaft, which is important.
1 final thing that you probably know, the seal has to be installed absolutely dry without any lubricant.

My experience of currently obtaining a LR seal the same as yours. Plenty of online adverts showing the LR packaging but describing something less. Also for genuine OEM? and from Lithuania, Genuine last one, £12, too good to be true?.

Good luck

John

Post #225154515th Sep 2021 7:40 pm
Defenderless

Hi John looks like I'll be spending the £70 on tool to insert the seal 🥺 for 1 use hopefully and a new VR seal then crossing my fingers
As you've said no other seals available LR dealer said last one they had came from britpart??? The wonders of landrover ownership 😁

Post #225156415th Sep 2021 9:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >