Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Water in passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
wizz

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Water in passenger footwell

Had this issue a few years ago and cut off the end of the drain pipes and worked a treat for about 4 years have checked the pipes and they seem fine water pours away fine have also hosed the sunroof and no leaks I'm just a bit mistyfied as to what is going on because I havnt actually found out what caused the leak but the symptoms seem to be the same as they were a few years back ie rain and wind and then a wet floor. Any ideas what it could be if it's moot the drain pipes blocked
 2005 HSE TDV6 in Bonatti Grey  
Post #136104719th Oct 2014 9:09 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Maybe this...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic39056.h...p;start=15
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #136110719th Oct 2014 11:03 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This covers quite a few things ... and may help as well Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic78394.h...er+ingress

The A pillar conversation is interesting as in basic terms the kit isn't too expensive at just over a tenner...

There was an upgrade and suitable new clips and patches to reduce/stop water ingress through the A Pillar and the way it connects to the body .....

The pack from LR covers what to do with instructions... basically a couple of silicone patches and taking off the sponge patch off the A pillar ....

Hope you sort it soon
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #136114820th Oct 2014 8:13 am
wizz

Thanks bobs, not sure if it's still leaking or not almost every time we drive it the carpet gets wet again on the left hand front corner of the passenger foot well. My theory is that there is still some water nocking about and the motion of the car sends it to the front of the foot well then when we park on our drive which leans to the left and slopes forwards with the car facing forwards the water then flows to the left hand front of the passenger footwell. All very frustrating I thought I had left behind leaking cars way back in the 70s mind you the last car had that leaked was built in the 70s and manufactured in England ie a triumph stag
Post #136205621st Oct 2014 6:40 pm
wizz

Have discovered why carpet got wet after each time car was driven it's down to all the water that was still under the carpet removed side panel by using the end of a small adjustable spanner and lifted the carpet and there was about half inch of water in the l/h corner sucked this out with our carpet cleaner which I jammed a small tube Into the end of its hose packed out with a damp cloth this worked a treat then squeezed the carpet and managed to extract about 1.5 litres of water big by bit. I guess every time we drove this water would get sloshed around a bit then soak up into a bit of the carpet when we parked on our drive which slopes down. The carpet has about one inch of sponge on the bottom of it so it's like a big sponge. Now using swmbo hair dryier to dry ig all out
Post #136425326th Oct 2014 1:01 pm
john73

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Wizz, I now have same problem! I also have sucked all the water up from sponge and carpet. But I am unable to find the outlet of hose under the wheel arch. I removed arch liner but still can't see this X tube that all talk about. This makes me think that maybe the tube is leaking in to the footwell? Spent all day trying to find a solution! Any help would be greatly appreciated
John

Post #147435115th May 2015 9:10 pm
donduck

Canada 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had the same issue too a month ago and could find the cause of the problem... I didn't rip apart the interior carpetting but just tried to dry as much as I can with a dry towel.

I bet you I still have water underneath the carpetting. Hopefully someone can post some pics for a fix (I'm really bad with words Wink )

Post #147436115th May 2015 9:35 pm
john73

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I hope so, because I just don't know what more I can do apart from suck up the water after every day it rains Big Cry

Post #147436515th May 2015 9:39 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you looked at all the links above its generally one of them ....

Mine was the front drain pipe that comes out of the side grill .....

Looked fine on first inspection but when I trimmed the end I got covered in mud and water ....

It had blocked inside the hose and the water backed up to the sun roof channel and overflowing into the cabin Shocked
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #147442216th May 2015 6:30 am
jumpinjack

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Same topic! Need some help.
Forum brilliant to date, Thursday passenger foot well swimming so yesterday I pumped the bilges and set about fixing.
Went to the range and got some curtain wire as recommended - fits perfectly. Found the source of the problem very quickly, the drain and the pipe on the passenger side were detached. Easy fix.... Give the pipe a good cleaning and all is good.

Onto the drivers side, the side which I thought had no problem. When I pour water down the drain, it drains to somewhere but I for the life of me can not find where to?
I've rodded vigorously with still no joy.
Took air intake grill off, cut the end of the plug as recommended - was expecting to be hit in the face by a torrent of water- but nothing??
I've put my curtain wire in the top and can get it about 2.1 more in, when I go in from the plug, and push in/up it goes even further but it does not come back out the top???
Totally baffled.
I've poured 2 litres down the drain, and can not find an exit?? Though my pad footwell still wet so can't discount somehow it's ending there?
There is a 'bag' under the air intake, it would seem to be full of water/foam?? Any one know what this bag is? Photo attached.
Totally baffled???
Any guidance or ideas greatly appreciated as have half the headlining down, half the carpet up and the air intake off and I need the car tomorrow!

Buck blue HSE. De-tango, MY14 rear LEDs, Narpy Grill in shadow chrome, Refurbished steering wheel (beanie), phone software upgrade (Geoff) V8 brake upgrade (Geoff), Gunmetal wheels  
Post #147456216th May 2015 12:38 pm
3phase

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Once the air intake grill is removed, you have the rubber as can be seen in your picture. if you pull this rubber towards the front of the car, you will find a "block"of rubber with a small cut out. the cut out is were the exit is of the sunroof drain. when I did mine I removed a bit more of the cut out to give a better flow.
Not sure about a "bag"....maybe somebody put this in to try to give a directed flow of the water!

Post #147457516th May 2015 1:26 pm
jumpinjack

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks 3phase, yip have the rubber out, cut a bit bigger etc, but it's the bag that's confusing me as appears to be water in it?
Also my pipe must be disconnected somewhere as my curtain wire neither coming out the bottom or out the top when out in from respective ends!
 Buck blue HSE. De-tango, MY14 rear LEDs, Narpy Grill in shadow chrome, Refurbished steering wheel (beanie), phone software upgrade (Geoff) V8 brake upgrade (Geoff), Gunmetal wheels  
Post #147457816th May 2015 1:30 pm
rjw01

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Strange bag??

Did you work out what this bag is jumpinjack?
Came across the same bag in mine when I had the wheel arch liner out on the weekend.
 D3 2006 SE
Defender 2013 110 hard top 

Post #214182427th Apr 2020 1:25 pm
wymbad

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Greetings from Cape Town. Same problem with water in the front and rear passenger footwells. I tore everything out and looked everywhere that others had mentioned to no avail (although I'm taking all precautionary measures before I reassemble !). I should add that this is a 2006 Disco 3 rhd. 2.7 tdv6.

The sunroof drains were fixed in January so I started under the bonnet and worked my way up using a watering can. No leak until I got to the roof rack channel (not sunroof) when water appeared in the wiring channel at the foot of the passenger door running through to the back.

I went all around the dash area without luck until I saw a trickle of water running out from under the door seal at the bottom of the door. I'd always replaced this seal when I closed up at night. I pulled it away from the frame et voila! Water was trickling out of the spot welded seam on the A pillar that the seal sits on. There were rust stains on the edge down to the bottom of the door. The main entry point is about 1 " up from the bottom of the A pillar airbag. This is actually an 'intentional hole' and I therefore have to assume that water finds it's way along the roof rack channel and down inside the external plastic trim.

I read somewhere that there is a hole under the trim that can allow water in which then trickles down the inside of the pillar and which can be sealed (no info as to it's location).

New clips and sealant are on order !!

Post #217320711th Sep 2020 2:20 pm
Wigham

France 
Water in footwell solution

Been suffering this for ages but don’t have a sunroof so it ain’t that!

Solution for me was found here:

Drain from the air conditioner was blocked!

Very easy fix. I’m now keen to see how many of my electrical problems are solved by not having part of the wiring loom in a bath!

Post #218616311th Nov 2020 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >