Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Water pump bolts just sheared.........WTF ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:

AFAIK, there is only 1 belt for a TDV6, as they all have the same aux belt layout. There is more than 1 option for an RRS, as some came with ARC, and so have an extra pulley to go round

You're right. My bad Embarassed
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #106073623rd Feb 2013 8:55 am
Zebravanman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Steve D wrote:
Just a thought but if you are going to the trouble of replacing the water pump when replacing the timing belts, why not also change the water pump bolts at the same time?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter what bolts ? Half of them are on the A30 and the other half are in the block !

Post #106073823rd Feb 2013 9:17 am
neil4ster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just had exactly the same 'phenomenon' happen to me. Cambelt change in December by reputable independent. Less than 100 miles covered and water pump bolts have sheared completely off. Before it sheared the belt started squeaking for about 50 miles. I noticed a tensioner pulley flapping away but before I could get it booked back in I ended up stranded on the M6.

Post #108866615th Apr 2013 8:17 pm
Splitpin

My guess is the pulley bolts were done back up following the cambelt change with a impact gun Smile

Post #108867715th Apr 2013 8:27 pm
Zebravanman

neil4ster wrote:
Just had exactly the same 'phenomenon' happen to me. Cambelt change in December by reputable independent. Less than 100 miles covered and water pump bolts have sheared completely off. Before it sheared the belt started squeaking for about 50 miles. I noticed a tensioner pulley flapping away but before I could get it booked back in I ended up stranded on the M6.

After repairing mine i have covered over 1000 miles trouble free but i can tell you exactly what happened to mine....

Basically i took the cam belt cover off (16bolts) but my assistant actually took out 17 bolts so he admitted after the event. The 17th bolt was the top securing bolt holding the water pump on... This bolt is really really close to the bolts on the rocker cover and it was an easy mistake to make, anyway this meant that the wp was only held by the two bolts at the bottom.because the belt presses onto the top of the pulley it meant that the impeller actually picked up and with that action the whole thing ripped out.
Im guessing that the same happened to you, my wp was completely serviceable but when i took the front end off the car to drill out the sheared off bolts i noticed the top bolt had not sheared and was missing.
When i looked at the photos when i changed the cam belt i noticed that the top bolt had definitely removed and not put back in..

100 Percent my fault ( or my assistant) not the car.

Post #108867915th Apr 2013 8:30 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
When i looked at the photos when i changed the cam belt i noticed that the top bolt had definitely removed and not put back in..

Zebravanman

I think your right because when I have done some cam belts I have found that top water pump bolt either missing or slack in the hole, and like you say when your undoing the cam belt cover and undoing the bolts around that area its easy to mistake the top bolt for a cam belt casing securing bolt.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #108870915th Apr 2013 9:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zebravanman

Flack wrote:
Quote:

Zebravanman

I think your right because when I have done some cam belts I have found that top water pump bolt either missing or slack in the hole, and like you say when your undoing the cam belt cover and undoing the bolts around that area its easy to mistake the top bolt for a cam belt casing securing bolt.

Flack Thumbs Up

Yes i kick myself for it and i should have checked, my pump took out the viscous fan as well so double the expense!
I took detailed photos of my cam belt change and fuel pump belt change so after the event i was able to piece together what actually happened so i know 100 percent this is what happened to me.
Im just wondering whether the other guys who responded in this thread made the same mistake...
Anyway, it wasn't the cars fault ! It was mine. The thing which got me thinking was when i come to drill the sheared bolts out which actually just unscrewed, the top one was missing ! I was lucky, it could have taken the cam belt out and cam cover as it rotated.
Ive got the viscous fan spanners and a complete cam locking tool set available for sale if anyone wants them

Post #108873115th Apr 2013 9:20 pm
tackit

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This is a big heads up for me in August when I'll be doing mine.
 D3 HSE + Java + Alpaca + Privacy + ECU Upgrade
Transit Custom SWB + Limited + 125ps + Tectonic 

Post #108885316th Apr 2013 6:46 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Zebravanman thanks for sharing this I see you've got 5seat base model has it got coils as well? Nice colour!
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #108930016th Apr 2013 10:13 pm
Citron

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi All - I just wanted to say that the exact same thing happened to us. Had the timing belts and aux/serpentine belt changed by an independent garage with a lot of Land Rover experience, and within a couple of days the water pump sheared off, also damaging the fan.

My wife was driving it at the time and luckily it happened just a few km from where it had been serviced a couple of days earlier. It was towed to the garage. They fixed it up and sourced a serviceable secondhand fan.

I was highly suspicious at the time and convinced it was related to the recent belt changes, but could not prove it, so ended up forking out a fair few dollars to get it sorted. Afterwards I looked up advice regarding the changing of the belts on this forum and noticed people advising to change out the water pump at the same time! Wish I had read that prior to getting the service done Crying or Very sad

Post #109207322nd Apr 2013 12:29 pm
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Happened on my Disco 4 TDV6 as well after the belt change - done by Land Rover dealer in South Africa.....

Now still stranded in the nice Kruger National Park, waiting to be taken to LR Nelspruit on Monday morning.

Lucky no other damage to fan as we were going very slow - just after spotting a pride of Lion... Thumbs Up
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #15864663rd Jan 2016 10:17 am
Zebravanman

Blimey ! no lions here when I broke down.
Check for that top water pump bolt, quite easy to see, and go back to Land Rover !

Post #15865353rd Jan 2016 12:47 pm
alan070569

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Hi
I purchased a disco 4 last week privately about 200 miles from my home
The cam belt was changed by the previous owner 2 days before I collected the vehicle at a garage near his home
Two days after owning the vehicle I lost power steering , had a charging system fault and low coolant
Checking the car and found the auxiliary belt had come off and when recovered at the garage the water pump had sheared off.
On inspection this 17th bolt had not been attached as I have read by other owners
The garage are not admitting liability at present
How did you fix the problem with the sheared bolts in the water pump housing ?
Once everything was put back together was everything ok with your vehicles
Appreciate your help

Last edited by alan070569 on 4th Nov 2021 11:25 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #22603654th Nov 2021 9:42 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Did you pay for the belt change, or the previous owner?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #22603714th Nov 2021 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alan070569

United Kingdom 

The previous owner paid for the belt change and I contributed half as part of the car purchase price

Post #22603794th Nov 2021 10:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >