Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Watling front towbar fitting tips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Watling front towbar fitting tips

Hi Guys....Bought the front towbar for the Disco3 through the forum group purchase-Thanks to Sea Raider for arranging that Thumbs Up

Fitted it yesterday and decided to let you have a few tips and observations which may be of use when you come to fit yours. I did it single handed and found that it was easily accessible with the car on ramps.
First thing I did was give the fixing bolts a good coat of Copper grease for rust prevention.

Starting from the front crossmember which I had opened the 10mm dia. holes up to 12.5 mm, I inserted one of the plate nuts which was a bit fiddly given the wheel arch liner partly covering the opening at the end of the crossmember, the other end I managed to drop the plate nut unto the cavity behind the bumper and wheel arch liner. All was not lost, simply removed the self tapping screw retaining the liner, bent it back and fished out with my hand. (See photo). I thought the two large 12mm washers for the towbar looked a bit flimsy given that the end fixing holes on the towbar angle fixings are oversize presumably for adjustment/alignment so I made up two 35mm square by 4mm thick washers, with 12.5mm hole from a piece of steel I had lying about, due to the increased thickness I used two M12 x 40mm, 8.8 tensile setpins instead of the 30mm long ones supplied.
Due to the limited space between the crossmember and the towbar, the two long bolts which secure the two steel braces have to be inserted first before offering the towbar up. I raised the towbar into position with my trolley jack and fitted the two end bolts & washers to the crossmember finger tight.
Next step is to fit the two steel bracing bars. The two M10 fixing bolts which the instructions refer as having "Spring nuts" on mine,the spring nuts did not exist, they were just M10 nuts & bolts. The holes are already large enough for a M12 bolt and drilling is not required. The braces were loosely attached to the towbar and the rearbolts inserted. The braces sit under the lower engine cover plate. (See pic's).
Finally,tightened all fixings to given torques.

It should be remembered that when the engine lower plate has to be removed for say an Oil change, the front and rear brace fixings will have to be released/removed and the braces swung aside in order to remove the cover.
Tools used:
19mm open ended/combination spanner & 19mm socket
17mm " " " " & 17mm "
Torque wrench
Pair of ramps
Trolley Jack
12.5mm HSS Jobber Drill

Apologies for the upside down photo's Whistle

Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Last edited by rowlejohn on 23rd Jun 2020 11:04 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #215599422nd Jun 2020 6:58 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Looks like a rear tow-bar to me fitted to the front, but excellent job. What will you be using it for other than a battering ram.

Post #215604423rd Jun 2020 2:25 am
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Better than paying £2000+ to have a motor mover fitted Idea Whistle
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1