Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Weird stereo issue on start-up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Graycat

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Weird stereo issue on start-up

This has happened a few times of late on my MY09 but I can't find any commonality between them. Hoping someone out there may have run into something similar and be able to point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell, upon start up, there is no output from the ICE system at all regardless of what is selected (radio, DAB, CD etc.). Sometimes there is a brief sound similar to plugging in an old mic or headphones.

Resolution is to shut it all down, hop out and lock the car. Leave it for a few seconds then unlock, hop back in and you're good to go.

Garage has taken a look and initially only reported issues with rear parking computer (can't remember exact term). Swapped that for a brand new one, ran for a few weeks and issue reoccured.

Sent it back in and they're reported that it could be one of three things - stereo, amp or satnav. None of which are cheap to replace ( 2 x £900 or 1 x £2,000 plus labour etc etc).

I've tried not using bluetoothed iPhone (Tune2Air), uplugging bluetooth dongle, making sure nothing is plugged etc etc but no change. Happens on cold morning, warm evenings, when it's rained, when it's been dry etc etc.

Anyone run into this before?

Post #201938417th Jan 2019 1:03 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Low battery?

try to give a full charge and see if the issue occurs
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #201945417th Jan 2019 5:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I used to get this on my D3, my work around was to turn ignition on, let radio come on with sound, then start engine. I used to get a lot of “lost communication” fault codes to do with a low battery when cranking.
Also as stated above, give the battery a good charge. Thumbs Up
Give it a try.

Post #201976518th Jan 2019 12:18 pm
Graycat

Cheers, guys. I hadn't considered the battery angle. I've recently changed jobs so commuting is now ~20mins each way so there may be a correlating effect.

What's the best ways to test battery levels and / or health?

Post #202307428th Jan 2019 1:51 pm
Graycat

So it’s been a few weeks and a few long runs in the car with no major issues so I thought the issue was solved. Unfortunately the whole ICE system decided to turn itself of Wednesday with no warning.

Booked her in for Monday at my local independent and carried on about my week.

Then started the low battery warming’s at start up. Nipped over to Halfords for a battery health check and it came back fine weirdly. The following morning though no dice trying to start the her up. Flickering lights, clock reset etc etc.

Dropped in a replacement battery last night and everything including the ICE is back to life so I’m hoping it’s just a battery and not alternator but still in for a check Monday.

One issue - the amber engine warning light comes in when the engine is running. No other negative affects one brief test drive so I’m stumped. Does the computer need resetting after a battery swap or something?

EDIT: A month or so later on the new battery and no sign of troubles. Garage reset the computer and restored all functionality fine. They were testing the battery as they thought there might be a dead cell but nothing reported.

Post #20436376th Apr 2019 8:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >