Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Welcome to DISCO3 and DISCO4 - Say hello here!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 699 of 819 <123 ... 698699700 ... 817818819>
segway52

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
hello

Recently purchased my disco 3 with LPG. This site helped me with some queries before I purchased, so thanks.

Post #205411618th May 2019 12:59 pm
Shadow71

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi guys. Yesterday went for a test drive in a d3 auto. Previously had a d2 which I thought was good but the 3 is a hell of an improvement. Will be picking it up next weekend after the service mot and issues sorted out

Post #205431419th May 2019 8:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EsDad

Canada 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Causeway GreyLR3
Greetings

Quick shout out from Canada!.

Thumbs Up

Post #205433819th May 2019 11:13 am
StarLight

Belgium 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Hello from Belgium

Hi all, yesterday I bought my first LR, a 2011 disco4 3.0 TDV6 HSE, for off-roading.

It's not my first off-roader, I've had (and in that order) a Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M, Jeep Cherokee 4.0, Magirus Deutz 168M11FAL (Iveco 110-16AWM). I had the Magirus truck when I met my wife, goal was to keep adding to it and make an overlander out of it. But being ex-military, it has of course zero comfort and zero sound insulation and was pretty much veto'ed by my wife.

In the meantime (this was 5 years ago) we've had our son Thor, who is now 4 years old, and it started itching again to get an off-roader. Started looking at discovery, being more comfortable than a defender while less expensive than a range rover. Disco 1 and 2 proved hard to find in good condition, and when you do find for example a facelifted disco2 in mint condition it costs 12.500 euro... While having a euro3 engine... Continued looking at disco 3, which was pretty much the same price range and younger in age, and finally ended up with a disco 4 with a euro5 engine 3.0TDV6 for slightly more. It has never done off-road, and doesn't have a hitch so never used for towing either.

And my god, what excellent and cool rumbling sound does that v6 have...

Other info, my name is Jan, I'm 44, married to Katrien, have a boy Thor, work hard and play hard. My hope is that I have now a capable off-roader that is still comfortable to travel in, so my wife will want to come on small camping trips where we go off-roading.

The car will be fitted with winch, rock sliders, front runner roof rack and ladder, front runner drawer block, front and rear light guards, sump guard, snorkle (raised air intake). The stock 19" rims will be powder coated in black. Tires replaced by goodyear duratrac 255/55R19-111. Brake discs and pads to be replaced, I think by terrafirma.

Still struggling to find a suitabel rear mount for the spare wheel.

Post #205438419th May 2019 3:27 pm
DavidS33

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi, I'm a new member to this forum. Bought a LR3 approx 3 months ago. Found this forum during a google search.

Post #205449120th May 2019 4:57 am
MrRusty

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, I found this site quite by chance when I had a Disco3, specifically when searching for tailgate lock/handle problems. Unfortunately my Disco3 has been consigned to history as I have moved over to a Freelander 2 SD4 HSE. Are there any plans to start a Freelander site?

Post #205461820th May 2019 4:29 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

There is a sister Freelander 2 site - link at the bottom of the index page on here:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #205464320th May 2019 5:40 pm
Andyyav

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Evening All
Picking up my first Disco 4 tomorrow...... owned many defenders and an L322 in the past so no stranger to the joys of Land Rover ownership!

Post #205520822nd May 2019 8:01 pm
Johnny284

England 

Hi
Just thought I would say hello new on here, I am about to upgrade my discovery 2 TD5 to a disco 3, in a week or 2 and mite need a little help with a thing or two as I am looking to remap straight away, i and also need to know what is the best size wheels and tyres for DS 3,I run BF Goodrich AT on my disco 2 and happy with them as good off road and good on the road to.
I use my disco for having fun in the mud, green lane, shooting vehicle, but also use as much on the road.
Cheers Johnny

Post #205611426th May 2019 6:05 pm
Steve Mc

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Newbie - Hi All

Hi to the community...

Having owned a series 3 lightweight some decades ago I always longed for another Landy. Recently my wife's Toyota Avensis was nearing the end of its life and we needed a new mobile. I have to live with a hybrid company car so that I am not paying more than my mortgage for the use of a company car. My wife wanted something a bit higher to help her getting in and out and we spend some time in the lakes and in Scotland on some muddy tracks and have struggled in the snow. My answer - get a big 4X4, and with the in-laws having a new child we should have 7 seats so we can all get in.

So, the search and the budget started...

I read all the forums, all the reviews, all the adverts, and everything said Volvo XC90, or for more money, or an older car, or higher mileage, a Toyota Land Cruiser or Mitsubishi Shogun, and to avoid the Discovery on reliability and cost issues.

We looked at them all and tried a few, and then one day we said, lets check out a Land Rover Discovery before we bite the bullet. Oh, how we should not have done that for the sake of the budget, and the sake of future issues. We spent 4K more than we intended to, and I know it will cost us more in the long run, and I suspect she may let us down from time to time.

However, having spent a month with her now, I don't regret a thing. She is a fantastic piece of auto-engineering, albeit not very reliably constructed. She is uber practical, looks good, has plenty of oomph for a 2.5 Tonne lump, great to drive and when working all the gadgets are spot on. She is so much better than all the rest, excluding reliability and cost, but if it costs me a few extra hundreds per year it'll be worth it. I do have my fingers crossed...

A couple of minor points to get me back into the Land Rover life which I hope someone can advise on...

The drivers door keyless pickup doesn't work. From reading bits it looks like this could be a bad connection to the antenna in the door (I also read plenty about this feature so bought a StopLock Pro and put a tracker on it). Does anyone have a link to a service manual or anything that would help me strip the door to check out the wiring? I work with electronics so am happy to diagnose but don't want to damage any panels taking things apart. Should I buy a Haynes manual?

Also, this weekend on some rough ground we noticed a clunking coming from the drivers side front. I am guessing this is a bush in the suspension / steering joints. Any advise on whether this is just a bush, a common replaceable, something to be concerned about, cost to get done, dealer or independent, etc?

Many thanks to anyone who can help, and happy to be part of the gang again after so many years.

Steve

Post #205728030th May 2019 11:14 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Steve and welcome to the joy (and wallet emptying) experience of owning a Disco Laughing

Might be a good idea to post your questions in a separate post in the D4 section and I'm sure some of the very knowledgeable chaps will be able to give you some help/advice.
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #205736731st May 2019 12:30 pm
tilugulilwa

Hello Disco 4 family

I am disco 4 newbie from Tanzania, very much curious on Disco 4 common faults on manual transmission

Post #20574911st Jun 2019 6:45 am
sp60

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Well hello one and all

Hello!

I'm a Land Rover owner of a few years, now on my second Discovery. The first was a 2001 Disco 2, TD5 auto that I bought with 152k on the clock and sadly had to go when not only the "three amigos" warning lights turned up to stay but the auto tranny was in a bad state.

I'm now a happy owner of a 2010 Disco 4 which is getting its feet 'wet' for the first time proper this coming weekend. We're going wild camping and I'm looking forward to departing the tarmac and even the rough tracks to decent some pretty knarly hills where only the farmer and the cows go!

The old D2 coped ok with road tyres on this same terrain - apart from the odd scrape of the low hanging tow bar but then again it was dry every time we went... Rain is forecast this time and that changes everything in clay-like dusty soil.

So... I'm here looking for tyre advice and possibly some 2nd Hand MaxTrax (or similar)! I might well have left this all too late, I'm planning to depart on 7th July from Newcastle upon Tyne.

Has anyone bought and used the Raptor ones like these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Off-Road-Heavy-...2154575235

Regarding tyres, I'm trying to decide if getting a second set of steel rims is a good idea, and if it offers the chance to get better or cheaper knarly tyres that I wouldn't be able to fit or afford on my 19 inch factory rims?

I've seen some pretty decent looking tyres on 20 inch rims - but are they any good in what's effectively a low profile? Here's an example:

Versus something on a 16 inch rim like this, these were on someone else's Defender that I was eying up one fine day! With the added sidewall depth I'd imagine the possibilities of deflation, rim protection and er well I'm not rock climbing so what else is better?

Thoughts please!

Post #20579172nd Jun 2019 11:41 pm
Biggles330d

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Hi forum

Hello all.

Quick message to introduce myself, the owner of a '65' plate Commercial SE.
I poured over this site for ages before ignoring all the advice and purchasing sight unseen and with no recorded service history an 80k miles commercial. My logic being I'm told it was part of a fleet so all maintenance was done in house and doing 25k miles a year of fairly light duties is maybe the best start in life.

Having driven it 300 miles back to Scotland without issue and given it a good hard look, all the signs are good.
4 decent pirelli scorpions with no odd wear. Even the spare.
Drives really well, no strange noises, wobbles or worrying characteristics
A load bay untouched, really, as new.
All the options ticked and all working (apart from stop-start)
Not so much as a parking ding on it. Now its clean, other than the expected motorway stone chips it could pass for new.
Tow bar fitted but no signs of ever towing anything
Cruising back I saw an average 40mpg. I don't expect that to remain but was pretty surprised as I was expecting it to average more like 35.

My plan -
Off to DiscoMikey for a proper check over, full service and change the Gearbox oil as a preventative maintenance measure.
4 weeks down to France and back
Then a long distance work hack (hence the van spec) for places the electric car won't reach.

Post #20579813rd Jun 2019 9:22 am
Sprocky65

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi there,
I'm joining from New Zealand. I am the proud owner of a. 2005 Discovery 3 SE 4.0L.
Absolutely love driving it, and am keen to see what she can do off road. I am member of the Canterbury Land Rover Owners Club,

I was trying to find out about whether snow chains are required front and rear? I would expect front if you only have one set to fit.
Please feel free to point me to a relevant thread on the subject!!

Post #20579893rd Jun 2019 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 699 of 819 <123 ... 698699700 ... 817818819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >