Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Wet drivers footwell - process of elimination
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lukeob

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Wet drivers footwell - process of elimination

Evening All - Have been reading all the posts about this. Looks like could be several causes so am trying to eliminate those it isn't.

2013 HSE Lux with panoramic glass roof/sunroof. Drove the car first time today for 10 days and drivers carpet is sodden.

No sign of any damp on any of the roof lining or pillars, the damp is pretty much solely under the rubber mat.

As not driven for a while, don't believe it would be AC drain. Seems to suggest with all the heavy rain, is coming from the sunroof drains.

Have pulled some clips and lifted the carpet. As previous posts suggest a shedload of water sitting in the cabling channel.

Before I go pulling other things off or up (that I might not be able to get back in place!), does this likely sound like a blocked drain - and go about this?
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/fix-sunroof...s+footwell

Any other suggestions very much appreciated.
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #23132651st Nov 2022 9:07 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

This sounds like a sunroof issue to me

You could pop the air vent and inspect from outside to get a bit of insight
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #23132681st Nov 2022 9:18 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

sunroof drain is most likely - pain to fix on the other side as the cjb and glovebox cover has to come out - drivers side is a lot easier.

the bottom elbow usually perishes - its the same elbow part on a number of JLR cars with different lengths of tubing, the flexible elbow can be peeled off the rigid tube insert that connects to the drain tube and can be replaced without having to remove the drain tube - do a search on here to see what part fits, when i did all of mine on the D3 I swapped the 2 front and 2 middle ones - all of the tubes were fine just the elbows had gone soft and grotty as they perished. Cheapest at the time were the mid pipes for the early Range Rover Sport
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #23133822nd Nov 2022 4:50 pm
lukeob

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the experience. Cleared the drivers side drain yesterday with some strimmer line. Both from the top and the bottom. Tested by pouring water into the sunroof tray amd it came out of the drain hole behind the vent.
Pleased with myself, spent the afternoon and evening shoving babies nappies under the lifted carpet to dry and then having a fan heater in to dry.

Gutted this morning again to feel the carpet is wetter than it was when I called it a night.

If water is coming out of the drain, is it a case of ‘some’ could be coming out of a perished elbow? There are no signs of damp on the roofline or pillar.

Saw some other posts where people had mentioned the strip at the bottom of the windscreen had a slight gap between it and the glass - although suspect this would drain to engine bay?
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #23134423rd Nov 2022 10:46 am
Tyty

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

had the same issue, water was flowing out behind the mudflaps so assumed elbows was okay and just blocked.

Spent hours drying the mats to find out that they are completely sodden again the next morning.

The rubber elbows had torn/perished slightly so water was still making out the outside drain but also pouring inside too!

Post #23134463rd Nov 2022 11:29 am
lukeob

Thanks! I’ve temporarily taped up the roof to try and stem the flow while I get around to trying to fix this weekend.

While up there, noticed that the actual rubbery/foam seal on the sunroof glass looks a little porous.

Has anyone tried renewing this to see if it improves the overall seal - putting less water on the drains?
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #23134503rd Nov 2022 11:59 am
SENC

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

The windshield cowl strip is a potential culprit. One clue is to check your cabin/pollen filter - if damp ir wet that is a pretty good tell. When you remove your cowl to replace it, you'll see the air intake to feed the cabin is open at the top and even extends just beyond the windshield at one corner. So, water coming down the windshield behind the cowl can run straight into that area.

Fortunately, replacement cowling isn't terribly expensive and is super simple to replace. You can also craft something to restrict such future water flow into the intake - I made some judicious use of foil tape for that purpose.

You can run some black tape along the top of the cowl as a temporary fix.

Post #23134543rd Nov 2022 12:45 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

lukeob wrote:
Thanks! I’ve temporarily taped up the roof to try and stem the flow while I get around to trying to fix this weekend.

While up there, noticed that the actual rubbery/foam seal on the sunroof glass looks a little porous.

Has anyone tried renewing this to see if it improves the overall seal - putting less water on the drains?

I had a Censored crow peck a hole in my sunroof seal, it's fixed to the sunroof glass so you have to replace the lot... It's not too bad a job assuming you can get a decent 2nd hand one... I wouldn't like to see the price of one from LR now (can't remember how much they wanted for one back then)...

Cheers Packham and your bloody pet crows...
 2005 D3 SE Manual - Gone but not forgotten.
2009 D3 HSE Auto - and so it all begins again... 

Post #23134613rd Nov 2022 1:51 pm
lukeob

Good to know Tufty. Already sporting a cracked panoramic roof due to a car park mistake so expensive overall if I do replaced.

Checked the cabin filter and this is bone dry - and on the other side so unsure it’s the screen mounting.
Took the panel under steering column off and can see the elbow behind some cables. Actually doesn’t look bad condition wise. Now I’ve taped up sunroof can’t test so will wait for the rain later
Big Cry Censored
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #23134673rd Nov 2022 2:47 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As I previously mentioned it is a simple one to get to on the drivers side behind the cables, passenger side is the PITA think the part i used was EEH500120 from Rimmers and around a fiver inc vat

You only neeed to change the elbow, not the whole tube from the sunroof down to the elbow, the tube has a rigid insert where the elbow joins the tube, it is a simple job to roll off the elbow from the insert tube and fit onto the existing drain tube insert in place of the current elbow.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #23134843rd Nov 2022 4:42 pm
lukeob

Hat taken off to you Darrin - you were spot on. After pulling away some more panels and pushing some cables aside, I can see the elbow has several holes in it. Although water was coming out of the drain from the sunroof - clearly not all of it! (What a stupid design!).

Will pre-emptively order up all 4 and get at least the drivers side done PDQ.

I'm already feeling a bit like Humpty Dumpty in that I don't know how I'm going to put everything back together again. Has anyone seen any pointers of guides on sequencing of necessary interior panel removal.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #23134983rd Nov 2022 5:53 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I wouldn't worry about any others than front two and just prioritise drivers side.

You dont need to move much for drivers, just remove trim above pedals and then the panel on front of steering column which flips down from the top and you should be good to go.
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #23135253rd Nov 2022 8:50 pm
jackvoyager

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

When I bought my D4, I had the same water for the passenger and the driver.
I cleaned all the sunroof drains, two at the front and two at the rear, blowing them out with compressed air.
I tested the drain by pouring water in the gutters of the sunroof, it turned out that there is a leak in the place where the drain connects to the plastic pipe which the water flows into the wheel arch.
I put on the zip ties in the place where these two elements connect and it has been dry since then.
A few pictures .

Post #23136965th Nov 2022 2:13 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I have the dread wet passenger footwell problem. Jumped to the conclusion that it was the drain tube but now probably not.

I realised that the paper left over the protective mats was more wet towards the centre console, to the extent that I was checking for wet headlining above but found nothing and is completely dry. Dropped out the lower glove box and found a couple of indications.

1st off the pollen filter cover is missing (being dealt with) and the filter was wet.

2nd, around the heater fan case is a bundle of wires and a black box which I think is part of the Parrot Hands free kit circled in green (is this factory fit?). The area circled in red was wet but from where? The water is clean and odour free so definitely not coolant and the vehicle has not been driven for the past few days during which rain has been heavy.

Any suggestions please?
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #232233111th Jan 2023 6:37 pm
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

For what its worth my experience is as follows.

I have a D3 2005 HSE and had pretty much the same issues you're experiencing - sunroof drains were fine. The water was collecting in the passenger side door sills under the sill covers. The culprit for me was the clips on the windscreen side covers one was broken and allowed water in - this was accessing the passenger side sills and the footwell. My solution was as follows: i made some holes under the footwell and in the sills to drain the water and allowed the car to dry out - fixed the windshield side cover clip seals - no more water.

Post #232236211th Jan 2023 10:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >