Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 30 of 283 <123 ... 293031 ... 281282283>
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Sadly you paid him before he'd finished. You'll not see him again.

Two rules with builders:
1. never pay up front
2. always owe a bit until the job is finished.

As a builder there are also bad clients.
We never take up front payment. Always either do the job and then invoice, or on bigger projects two weeks work then invoice. Expecting payment within seven days of invoicing.
Then mostly get payment on day of invoice or six weeks later when they have not paid you ask if they received the invoice and you get questioned about fifty pence in the cost summary or valuation sheet with the invoice! As they are usually regular clients can normally predict when payment will occur.

In sixteen years of business, generally have been paid in full.
With two exceptions that spring to mind.
On an insurance funded job, just before I went into hospital for L5 S1 vertebrae fusion. They started changing the task and wanting to divert funds to alternative work. We carried out the reduced specification water damage repair and invoiced for 40% of what they had been paid by the insurer. They refused to pay and eventually it went to court and we got stiffed by the judge and had too wait three further months as “they did not have the money “.
Other current issue is a small invoice for finding a pin holed copper tube leaking in a four bedroom penthouse apartment beside the Thames in Marlow. Invoice ignored for two months. When chased up, get abusive email questioning why I am charging them?
So I had the key to be inside your home, spent many hours finding the issue and stopping it flowing into the elderly ladies flat below! I am charging because you asked me to fix it!

So not all builders are fly by nights. The problem is there is no regulatory requirements to be able to set up as a business. Anyone can and do so. This is why issues do happen.

In the past I have ignored gut feelings and got on with what is asked for, then struggled to get paid. Now if in doubt or gut tells me no. Then I decline the offer and move on to one of my long-standing clients tasks. 80% of the work we do is for regular and in most cases original clients from 2003 when we started.

The issue which is of my own making is not having enough time to work and do the admin, so invoice issue is slow! The system works slowly and probably will not change any time soon.

Will get back in my box and behave now! 👍🏽
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #210154723rd Nov 2019 9:36 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

This builder invoiced for the work done, was paid for the work done, as we have done before.

Problem is he hasn’t returned to finish the jobs he has started, plus the way he’s done the job is not what I expected or we discussed and part of that work is questionable, certainly issues with it.

I’ve now done 3 of his jobs but finishing his other jobs are going to be difficult, repairing his work even more of a problem
 Mike  
Post #210155723rd Nov 2019 10:54 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Eating in the cinema

Just back from the new cinema to watch le man 66 great film but what the hell is it with people eating in the cinema. If you want to eat do it outside gone well beyond popcorn now people seem to turn up with a full bloody picnic.... Victor meldrew moment rant over
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #210157224th Nov 2019 12:52 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Maybe that was the trigger for this ? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-50533609

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #210158724th Nov 2019 9:44 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cyclists:
Dull wet morning
No lights
Black clothes
Riding in middle of lane
Not using very good cycle path
Not checking behind when serving left then right
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #210163224th Nov 2019 2:12 pm
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Some of the idiots who live in my road. One way street with parking both sides and there are a few repeat offenders who will just abandon wherever they stop rather than have consideration for other residents who may want to park.

This picture of the Ka is a good example. She is a recurrent repeat offender. Must be the lesser spotted lwb Ka. Pure ignorance.

2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #210177325th Nov 2019 4:04 pm
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully this one will be the right way up. And by pure luck managed to also capture a numpty ignoring the 2 great big No entry signs.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #210177425th Nov 2019 4:07 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Visitors and patients who can’t negotiate the Hospital car park and bump SWMBOs car!

It happened yesterday again, scuffs etc. to the front bumper on a car that’s only three months old parked properly within a space. They’d have been aware it happened, but no note or anything.

Its ironic that it probably the same people she’s helping. Not worth the bother of claiming off the insurance, shed soon loose all her no claims, so she’ll have to pay to get it fixed, a days or mores pay down the tubes, happy Crimbo. Evil or Very Mad

Post #21034644th Dec 2019 10:20 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

That sucks, doesn't it? As you say, they'll be people she's helping and, I have no doubt, would probably be the first ones shouting if the care provided wasn't spot on. Censored

There is a lot to be said for driving a shed when one is using public parking all day long. It's one reason why I leave my vehicle dirty - people don't risk brushing against it when they get in/out of their cars so give a bit more room. (The other reason I don't wash it is that I'm lazy! Whistle Rolling with laughter )
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21034864th Dec 2019 12:06 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

BBC website proof-readers. today's examples - Midlands moved to North West and cut'n'paste links Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Post #21034904th Dec 2019 12:20 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
That sucks, doesn't it? As you say, they'll be people she's helping and, I have no doubt, would probably be the first ones shouting if the care provided wasn't spot on. Censored

There is a lot to be said for driving a shed when one is using public parking all day long. It's one reason why I leave my vehicle dirty - people don't risk brushing against it when they get in/out of their cars so give a bit more room. (The other reason I don't wash it is that I'm lazy! Whistle Rolling with laughter )

The car was dirty unfortunately, but yes, that is a problem in a public car park. It’s happened before, so it was only a matter of time.

Also noticed the wee one wrote his name on her bonnet, so I am hoping I can take that off before she sees it. Rolling Eyes

She’s not off until Sunday, so I won’t get to look at it in the daylight. Sometimes marks look worse under artificial light.

As a rule all the medics and nurses tend to park together as it tends to be early on they park up, but it’s not fool proof.

Post #21035224th Dec 2019 2:41 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My 'winter' bug-bear is now in full flow and a new one has appeared on the list over the last couple of years and is now up there at "happens all the time" level....

1) rear fog lights now on and will stay on until around March - doesn't matter what the weather is. Flashing the Censored usually gets a sort of bewildered "what" look. Given the fact that since about 1996 fog lamps have been wired so they go off with the ignition and don't come back on then these imbecilic morons that have them on in clear mid-day daylight means they've made a conscious decision to turn them on. Censored

2) no rear lights on at. Advent of DRL's means you have loads of complete imbecilic morons driving around thinking they have their lights on but they are not on at the rear. Flashing is of no help at all for this issue as they believe they have lights on. If pulling up at traffic lights etc. and advising them of such, invariably gets the blank stare at their dashboard, back to you, back at the dashboard and the "my lights are on" response. Idiots

Post #21040476th Dec 2019 12:38 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I'd love to have s matrix sign in the back of my car, with easily-found pre-programmed buttons for 'your fog lights are on', 'you have a defective brake lamp', 'your passenger fell out at the last roundabout', etc

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #21040516th Dec 2019 12:46 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure what annoys me more - the idiots with fog lights on all the time or the idiots that drive in poor visibility without any lights on at all "it's day time and I can see where I'm going" seems to be the thought process there. A flash of the lights to suggest they turn theirs on gets a blank look or a V sign. No doubt they'll cause an accident and blame everyone else for it...

I've seen a few cases of a new version of the fog light one recently - front and rear fogs on? Tick. Still concerned I might not be seen so main beams on too for good measure! Yay - now everyone can be dazzled by my brilliance!

Gits.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21040526th Dec 2019 12:47 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

c'mon, everyone knows front fogs are only used on their own with sidelights "cos it looks cool, innit?"....

Post #21040546th Dec 2019 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 30 of 283 <123 ... 293031 ... 281282283>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >