Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 48 of 283 <123 ... 474849 ... 281282283>
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I'm increasingly becoming annoyed by vegetarians/vegans on TV talking about "non-dairy butter", "plant-based yoghurt" and the latest ones - vegan spare ribs and vegan brisket.

Butter is processed cream. It is not vegan.
Yoghurt is processed milk. It is not vegan.
If either of the above is described as "vegan" then it isn't butter or yoghurt.

And as for "vegan brisket"? What the f*ck is that supposed to mean. A vegan piece of meat? Of course it's not brisket.

Why can't vegetarians / vegans come up with their own names for things instead of using non-vegan names but with "vegan" stuck in front?

Censored Censored

Right, that's that off my chest... Laughing

As a vegan I would completely agree, if does seem pointless to do this, but as has been said, I guess for those moving to a vegi/vegan diet it provides them with something that looks familiar. Although to be honest, most of it isn’t that great and doesn’t taste the same.

The Devils Spawn was mentioned, that applies to vegan cheese!! Rolling with laughter
 Andy

Post #212822715th Mar 2020 11:38 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The programme I saw they were saying how similar in taste and texture it was to real brisket. Then have real brisket if you want the taste, texture and look of the real thing! Grrrr.

I'm waiting for someone to do a spoof and try to make steak look like vegetables... Rolling with laughter
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #212824215th Mar 2020 12:23 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Must admit I haven’t tried that, but most things are nothing like the original meat items.

Having said, becoming vegan has been easier than I thought.
 Andy

Post #212824315th Mar 2020 12:27 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The programme I saw they were saying how similar in taste and texture it was to real brisket. Then have real brisket if you want the taste, texture and look of the real thing! Grrrr.

I'm waiting for someone to do a spoof and try to make steak look like vegetables... Rolling with laughter

https://trendingviews.co/fast-food-chain-m...ll-vegans/

Whistle
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #212825215th Mar 2020 1:17 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:

You could go for ‘marrots’.......

Post #212862816th Mar 2020 6:24 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

So ... If it's Turkey based, should it not be a Tar(r)ot ?

It was always on the cards someone would come up with that.

Getting my coat.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #212863816th Mar 2020 6:45 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Virgin Media

Blooming VM Internet has stopped working

Just what I need when working from home, fortunately managed to get an engineer booked for tomorrow- wonder if that is just a system glitch or if a real person will show up
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #213140324th Mar 2020 8:17 pm
astonbuilder

Changing energy tariff.....

Our dual-fuel tariff has ended and I was looking for alternatives as expecting to change to an i-Pace Jag' but that will be delayed somewhat now with all that is going on in the world.......

So given we're now on standard variable tariff I go onto U-switch to compare tariffs and put postcode in and select house number from drop-down list......... but our house number isn't there, every other one seems to be. Put in next door as similar property and continue on. Got all the Kwh hour usage and other answers needed and do a search. Top 3 companies are names I've never heard of so I carry on and to within a few quid of all the others my current provider is there with an annual saving of £322 over my last year usage so I progress to select the tariff. Read all the small print and happy to go ahead.

But, I can't because it won't let me select my house number Rolling Eyes Ring up U-switch and despite knowing exactly what tariff I want I get the 'computer says no' syndrome and have to answer all the questions again. Comes up with my chosen tariff at the end with all the same details and am told I can do the switch there and then "as long as you accept a smart meter", er, that'll be a 'no' then. As we are talking I am checking all the small print and nowhere does it mention a smart meter in the form filling online Confused

They are prepared to help me find a tariff but will have to go through it all 'manually' as my house number not on system, etc. Lots of blurb about unable to add me without meter numbers, which I have, and then that changes to "oh, we can't do it". Point out that without that I can't use their website so they can't get a revenue???? Puts me through to 'customer services' where I get............"sorry we are unable to take calls, try again in the week" type thing.....aaargh.

Will ring my current provider to see if they can do a deal but without my house number on the list for U-switch I can't do easy comparison deals Confused

Post #213269229th Mar 2020 2:43 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

You could always try contacting the other supplier direct and ask if they will better the U switch quote. Might even save a bit as they won't have to pay U Switch a commission.

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #213291030th Mar 2020 7:52 am
astonbuilder

Used 'Confused' comparative site as that had my house number recognised, gave exactly same supplier deals as U-Switch Thumbs Up

I've gone for British Gas as cheapest big name brand I'm comfortable with and only about £6-7 more a year than the independents I've never heard of and a bit unsure of going with.

My current supplier, EDF, was a few pounds cheaper but you have to have a smart meter and I'm holding off from one of those for now if possible.

Post #213294830th Mar 2020 10:12 am
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

What’s the objection to smart meters?

Question
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #213300530th Mar 2020 1:05 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Smart meters are a pain if you live in anything other than a timber frame house (IMHO). We had one installed by our previous supplier for electric, but the one for the gas can't communicate with it (the electric one does all the communcation with the supplier) as the walls are too thick and it's too far away.

And when you change supplier, you'll probably find that the new supplier can't use the old supplier's smart meter.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #213301030th Mar 2020 1:12 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Paul J. wrote:

Question

What is the point of them in the first place? Can somebody explain how having a smart meter can reduce your energy consumption? The meter is usually stuck away in a cupboard or box so who is going to look at a meter and say turn it off it is using too much power?
Who watches a meter going round anyway?

As above they do not seem to be easily transferable across suppliers either.

Pointless waste of money.

Post #213301430th Mar 2020 1:18 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

The main purpose is so the supplier can disconnect you remotely if you don't pay your bills.
All the early ones have the same fixed password and in theory a determined hacker could shut them all off. However, as you'd then have a lot of victims but no way of contacting them to extort money, it's an unlikely scenario.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #213302130th Mar 2020 1:31 pm
Pelyma

England 

icestationzebra wrote:
Paul J. wrote:

Question

What is the point of them in the first place? Can somebody explain how having a smart meter can reduce your energy consumption? The meter is usually stuck away in a cupboard or box so who is going to look at a meter and say turn it off it is using too much power?
Who watches a meter going round anyway?

As above they do not seem to be easily transferable across suppliers either.

Pointless waste of money.

The smart meter attaches to your existing meter and communicates with a screen that you put in your kitchen/lounge or wherever it is easy to see. You can see how consumption goes up when different appliances are being used and modify your useage. You can buy this part for about £30 rather than have your supplier install it and have control over you. My son did this in rented accommodation when his bills were higher than expected and it worked a treat.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #213302530th Mar 2020 1:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 48 of 283 <123 ... 474849 ... 281282283>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >