Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Wheel Alignment Indy or Dealer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Wheel Alignment Indy or Dealer

Looking for some advice on wheel alignment. Both my front tyres are worn on the outer edges Big Cry .

The N/S/F is worse than the O/S/F. Do you think is just alignment,obviously check for wear,or does it need four wheel alignment which i have no experience of Embarassed

If its just tracking then i will go for the Indy but four wheel alignment will have to be dealer Sad

Only done 12k on my GG ATs Big Cry

Any help or advice would be great Thumbs Up
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #119127922nd Nov 2013 12:03 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

http://alignmycar.com

Find a place with a Hunter rig. It won't be especially cheap, but it will be cheaper than your main dealer and they will probably do a better job.

I was recently quoted £144 by my local Hunter Alignment Centre for a four wheel alignment. Shocked

Before shelling out on alignment, though, it might be worth getting your suspension components checked out to ensure that you're not wasting your money on getting it done. There may be an underlying problem that needs fixing first. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Last edited by Woolmeister on 22nd Nov 2013 12:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #119128322nd Nov 2013 12:08 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Has it has lower front bushes/arms yet? It's a sign of the bushes having worn out, and alignment now would be a waste.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #119128422nd Nov 2013 12:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rescue01

Thanks chaps.

No Martin the bushes/arms havent been done yet.I would hope that at 16k they would still be ok Confused

As i said i will get the suspension components checked first,just wanted to see if it was a four wheel alignment job or not Question

Thumbs Up
Post #119128622nd Nov 2013 12:14 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

16k? Shocked

I would get it on a 4 wheel laser alignment, no point paying for a halfway house.

Post #119129022nd Nov 2013 12:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rescue01

£340 for 4 wheel alignment at the dealer Censored Big Cry
Post #119130122nd Nov 2013 12:46 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

They are unlikely to have the kit in house, find a tyre place to do it.

Post #119130322nd Nov 2013 12:47 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

There's a couple of places with Hunter equipment near you in Inverurie and Kintore. Thumbs Up
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #119130422nd Nov 2013 12:48 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

It appears that most of the dealers send vehicles away for allignment as they dont have kit or trained staff. I had allignment done recently by a firm that does nothing else. They checked all the potential wear points in the suspension before adjustment. All done in less than 40 minutes - if they had not been showing me every step!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #119130922nd Nov 2013 12:53 pm
Rescue01

Had the car checked yesterday at the dealer. Steering and suspension are all fine height sensors checked as well.They have a four wheel alignment set up in house so i will get them to do it as its still under warranty.

I will make it VERY clear to them that if the new tyres show any sign of wear after the alignment they will be paying for a new set Whistle
Post #119296026th Nov 2013 10:04 am
BBB

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just had the four wheel alignment at QRSport in Tattenhall,Cheshire
They have the Hunter gear, feels like a totally different car now, thought would be worthwhile to help preserve my 4 new tyre.
Well worth it for, normally £80 but got a good discount 25% as they do my MOT's
Excellent service, so refreshing after my Main Dealer experience last week for the towbar recall
 There is no I in team, but there are five in Individual Brilliance

Disco gone, emigrated to a VW Amarok 

Post #153732930th Sep 2015 12:08 pm
TIBBLES

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

i appreciate this is an old thread but to add my two penneth:

Since owning my D4 10 months, it never felt right, my local KwiKFit had a brand new hunter machine, so after £100 they did the work and all felt OK.... apart from later that eve i went round a tight corner at low speed and the OSF wheel suddenly had very wrong camber adjustment - i presume they hadnt tightened the lower adjuster so i limped it home and took it back next day. thi sis also after they had tried to correct the crooked steering wheel several times. Anyway, eventually sorted.

My tires meanwhile have almost worn down to the markers over 10 months and 11k miles and i could see uneven wear happening, so i took it to a local place in woking who said, yep we can do that no problem.... it seemed to drive OK but wheel was crooked again and on full left or right lock you could feel it dragging the tyres and squealing.... so i decided to research this topic more and found that the car should be in TTM (Tight Tolerance mode)....

So while having a service done last week at Rovertune in Reading i asked them about the alignment and was told the chaps they use are always spot on and know how to cater for LR's.... got the car back and its Soooooooooo much better. I duly went back with the stats to my local guys who agreed they didnt really know what they were doing with a LR with Air Suspension and would probably now avoid until they have been trained. Money refunded Thumbs Up

Also happened to be at Kwik Fit saturday for my first MOT (they only chg £30!) and mentioned to the chap about tracking a disco4 and he quickly replied with 'we wont touch them anymore' as were not equipped to do them properly.....

So if KwikFit suggest that their shiny new machines can do 4WA on a discovery 4, i'd 'steer' clear as apparently they can't!

Cheers,
Toby

Post #154342312th Oct 2015 12:26 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Kiwi Fit aligned a D3 for me just last week. They couldn't put it into TTM, but it was aligned OK Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #154343512th Oct 2015 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >