DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Wheel alignment / tyre question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Wheel alignment / tyre question

Hi all,

I felt my LHD coil sprung d3 on 19" summer tyres was pulling slightly to the left. So I went back to the wheel alignment shop this morning. he quizzed me about the kms done since last set by him (5k) and after looking at the tyres (5.5yo) told me I was running the pressure too low (33/36) and I should set them to 38/45. I told him about the door sticker. He re-iterated the pressures.

I checked the print out of what he had set and it looks right and are D3 settings (i.e. not D4). The car is well maintained and all but rear lower arms have been changed by me for Meyle HD replacements. Drop links are not old and front hubs are timken and newish. Tie rods and ends are newish. But I haven't put it on a lift since the alignment was last set. So it's possible the rear lowers have gone bad.

His wheel-alignment only shop is very very well rated on google.

Could his advice be correct? I actually left the summer tyres on so he could eyeball the tyre wear. I'll swap the wheels to winters this week.

Cheers!

Post #23220099th Jan 2023 2:56 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I had a similar issue recently where my front lefthand tyre was wearing badly on the outer edge, admittedly I couldn't feel a pull that direction but the wear was severe.

My Indy checked and said they couldn't see anything that was worn or obviously causing the issue. They too recommended running slightly above the tyre pressure rate and I tried that. It certainly drove better.

I put my winter tyres on a few weeks ago and didn't want those to wear so I took the car for a Hunter 4wd alignment. It was only 6 months since the last one but still the front wheels in 5k miles had taken a knock or too and the alignment at the front was badly out.

Since full alignment again I am not seeing any excessive wear.

If you've done 5k km/miles then the wheels could be out even in that time.

Alignment here (for me ) was £75GBP. Well worth it.

Might be worth having another alignment done? If I have read your post correctly..
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23220279th Jan 2023 4:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >