Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Which CO2 Offset Provider?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gilmore

England 
Which CO2 Offset Provider?

I'm thinking about buying a CO2 offset for my D3. Prices seem to vary between about 20-50 quid a year. There are various providers available on the Internet. Has anyone got a recommendation? I want one that does a nice big sticker that I can put in my car rear window for all the Prius drivers and tree huggers to read. Might avoid getting my "earth crushing SUV" vandalised then.

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #11316926th Dec 2006 10:49 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I bought 6 trees earlier this year..cost £60..dedicated them to my son. They give you a certificate and a map of the forest showing where the trees are located. Supoosedly guarenteed not to be felled for 99 years.... You can go and hug them too Very Happy

http://www.carbonneutral.com/shop/results....edications
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11318126th Dec 2006 11:22 am
boldlygone

Following some extensive research into the subject I've bought into terrapass, www.terrapass.com (£50 for years offset - in fact 1.5 times more than I need), this is a U.S based offset company that is used by Expedia to offset travel miles and recently has won Ford USA as a client for new car CO2 offset. It is 3rd party verified and is widely admired in the U.S press.

Stayed away from tree planting since the CO2 offset will only reap rewards once the tree is about 10 years old and I wanted something a bit more immediate and with a credible sticker.

You get a couple of stickers for the car which I've slightly cropped to create 'This car's CO2 balanced by Terrapass' as a 18inch long / 1.5 inch wide banner which sits subtlely under the rear upper brake light.

I always watch for a reaction of the people behind me in traffic queues - many have been seen pointing it out, best of all was an episode in Banstead when a swampy was approaching the car , noticed the sticker, then had a 5 minute chat with the wife about how responsible it was.

I think its a good idea. Intelligent warfare.
 2006 RRSport 2.7 SE, Tints, Supercharger Grill & Vents, Tow Pack, Roof Rack, Buckingham Blue, Alpacca. 

Last edited by boldlygone on 27th Dec 2006 10:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11335327th Dec 2006 9:00 am
gilmore

England 

Hmmm, Terrapass sounds to score well on the "independent credibility" and "big sticker to keep the hippies at bay" factors. I'll have a look at them. Cheers
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #11335427th Dec 2006 9:09 am
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

You're kidding, yes ?

(I know you're not)

So now there's legal, commercialized extortion of private citizens who happen to choose a large, comfortable, highly-taxed vehicle as their mode of transport.

[revised to lower the rhetoric a couple notches at the cost of being even more longwinded. Apologies...]

Buying a tree and planting it in your yard, or buying shares in a forestry company strike me as great ways to improve your environment or your pocketbook respectively. They're beautiful, and they provide seasonal shade. Fruit trees have the added bonus of producing more fruit than you can consume once they've matured.

Meanwhile, the cost of building materials is not decreasing and planting trees to be turned into furniture, housing, or other useful purposes is a worthwhile endeavour. If you want to ensure there are more trees planted, invest in a forestry company. This provides capital that gets used to lease more land and plant more trees (and yes, harvest them too) and they most likely pay dividends. You don't get a sticker, but what you're doing will do far more to ensure that there are plenty of trees out there - and better still, you get paid for it.

But there are two big secrets about trees and CO2. One, there are more trees on this planet today than there have been in at least a hundred years, in no small part because of commercial forestry. Two, trees are not the primary source of oxygen on this planet. That would be the algae in Earth's oceans, which as part of 75% of the total surface far exceeds the amount that could ever be produced by plants and trees.

In the meantime, if all you want is a sticker, you can probably do it at home for less than the cost of paying protection money for a year. Wink

Last edited by dlm3 on 30th Dec 2006 5:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11409929th Dec 2006 11:19 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Can I invest in an algae farm?
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #11410029th Dec 2006 11:25 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hey dlm3...don't fret yourself, it's just some trees. Rolling Eyes

oh...and thanks for the ecology lesson Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11410329th Dec 2006 11:47 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Don't believe me. I'm just a dumb engineer who reads too much. Wink

As for algae - I don't know that anyone farms algae yet for food (you can buy it as a nutritional supplement), but blue-green algae ('spirulina') is an abundant food source, as well as a consumer of CO2. When you eat wild seafood, you're eating that algae, several links up the food chain.

Post #11412530th Dec 2006 3:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >