Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Which TRACKER to buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Which TRACKER to buy?

My insurance company LV want a Tracker fitted to the D4 that I'm buying on Fri. They haven't specified any type or spec.

I've been told that the only Land Rover approved system is the Traffic Master Trackstar. Of course, that's not to say that you can't fit any other type.

Any recommendations for the most basic type?

Happy New Year. Thumbs Up

Post #10275932nd Jan 2013 3:25 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Be careful which one you choose ... The d4 is already one power hungry monster ... Last thing you want is a tracker that's draining the battery even more Shocked
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #10275952nd Jan 2013 3:28 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tracker system

Hi
If you were close to me I could have sorted you out with one but as you arnt try them direct they will have someone in your area.
Try these two Smarttrac and Track it Now.

all companies that offer tracking offer the same levels of service its just the subscriptions and other options that make the difference in the prices
cheers

Post #10275972nd Jan 2013 3:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have heard talk about issues with tracking systems on newer Disco's, FFRR etc. Is that why LR have chosen Trackstar I wonder?

Mike, thanks for the tips.

Post #10276042nd Jan 2013 3:40 pm
devonchilliman

England 

I've got Trackstar as reccomended by Land Rover,got a good deal through Nick,no issues with battery drain.
They even called me to say that my battery on the D4 has been disconnected twice Laughing ,this when LRA put a new one on,at least I know it works
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #10276092nd Jan 2013 3:51 pm
MikeS2005

Tracker systems

Hi
What issues have you heard as the new systems now take very little power to run, most of the problems as most of you know is that the newer cars never really go completely to sleep and constantly adjust settings therefore using power.
If you leave any vehicle for weeks on end with no charging then no matter what it is will eventually go flat and need to be jump started so if you were leaving it then of course you either put a solar panel on the roof or you go down the root of a ctek charger and trickel charge it.
Bear in mind that the new tracker systems will now text you to tell you the battery voltage is going low.
If the vehicle is constantly used then there isnt a problem unless something goes faulty, like the battery or alternator
I know that Scorpion have recently brought out a new tracker unit and it is suppossed to be the lowest power consumption model on the market at the moment.
cheers

Post #10276132nd Jan 2013 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

You could always change your insurance....it will be cheaper Laughing

I was with LV until they insisted on a tracker being fitted ..... plenty of companies out there who dont Whistle
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #10276192nd Jan 2013 3:59 pm
LT

Mike, IIRC at least one post on here about battery drainage and my main dealer has had "issues" with vehicles fitted with tracking devices, but of course that could be due to the fitting not the unit itself.

I'm keen to stay with LV, as my fully comp policy with business use, fully protected nc etc. etc. is £360, which I can't better anywhere else. I spend a few hours every year shopping around, but been with LV for the past 4 years. Also had a couple of none fault accidents that they handled very painlessly.

Post #10276232nd Jan 2013 4:05 pm
MikeS2005

Tracker

Hi LT
Personnaly I dont think it would be down to fitting these things are relatively easy to fit not going to discuss this on an open forum IM sure you will understand why but there is a particular place that LR recommend these type of units are fitted and which wires are hooked into so as long as the fitter follows these instructions then there should be no problem.
As wiggs said in his previous post some of these units do require a bit of power but most are now milliamps I would almost gaurantee that most of the cars LR or anyone else is having problems with arnt used a lot or are in storage most of the time hence the problems.
Thats why we tell customers to buy either a solar panel with 12v charging system which can be placed on a vehicle roof etc or to invest in a trickle charger, we get a lot of these problems with ferrari,porshe owners who dont use their cars over the winter months.
Im afraid if you dont use the above methods then no matter what tracker you put in there, then you will get power problems, but as I said the new units text you to tell you the main battery power is going down , then you have the option to do something about it.

I can see why you dont want to move from your insurance company thats quite cheap and a good deal
Youve now got to figure out whether you want just a tracker that you are able to be requested to be switched on or a tracker with 24hr monitoring and there is a considerable jump in pricing
As of the 2nd of January the subscription prices have slightly risen on all of the companies offerings.

My advice to you on choosing one is to go for one from a larger company as their security tends to be better and their product components are better quality.
Tracker is the most widely known and most of the UK police forces have tracker locating systems in their vehicles
so the recovery rate is quite high.

hope this helps you
cheers

Post #10276482nd Jan 2013 4:56 pm
LT

Mike, very many thanks for all your help and advice Thumbs Up

My main dealer will charge me the same as going direct to Trackstar, £410 fully inc. of VAT and fitting. Tracker was £49 less, but if I get the dealer to arrange it all, I'll just dump it back with them to sort out any problems and they can give me a loan car. IMO, worth the extra few quid to have a LR approved system and dealer back up. Plus will save me having to arrrange it all etc.

Post #10277002nd Jan 2013 6:07 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I've just had Trackstar fitted prior to picking up my motor last week ...like you I couldn't be bothered with the potential for any hassles if i got a 3rd party to fit a cheaper unit Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #10277092nd Jan 2013 6:17 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Is this available as a guaranteed Land Rover after fit

Post #10277172nd Jan 2013 6:27 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Not sure for aftermarket tbh ...but I don't see why not Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #10277222nd Jan 2013 6:29 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

We have skytag GPS, v accurate, monthly testing remotely, £295 and £6.99 monthly subscription. No battery issues that I am aware of, however our disco gets v little use now and we get HDC fault etc according to low battery - we did before the tracker snoot bothered. (New alternator and battery though,if yours is old may not be quite so forgiving) if I knew how to measure its draw I would but I don't Thumbs Up
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #10277522nd Jan 2013 7:06 pm
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Wouldn't bother with the tracker unless there is some very new technology about they don't work
Sort of scum that comes to pinch a high end car that may have a tracker on will have a signal blocker/scrambler
And remember they need the keys to pinch these so it won't automatically trigger either some insurers have a cut off of estamated value where they stipulate a tracker it may be you are valuing at £42k but at £40k it would not need one

Not sure how much other insurers are charging over your current provider but £400 down and £100 a year that's the true cost of your cheaper insurance
 Club original turbo
161k and counting
general AT's, oval timer, blanked egr's, silicone intercooler hose's 

Post #10277802nd Jan 2013 7:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >