DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Winch cables, how long is yours?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Winch cables, how long is yours?

Strange question I know, but there is a reason!

I am currently nailing a very hefty pto winch onto my 2a, and although it came with a dodgy 75ft of 11mm (7/16) cable, I have since found out that it can be fitted with different sizes of cable, providing the correct shear pin is used.

Now I have a dilema. I have obtained a copy of the original manual, which gives the following specs.

11mm (7/16") cable, Shear pin 0.185, Max pull (Bottom Layer) - 7400lbf, Max length on drum 45m (150ft)
9mm (3/8") cable, Shear pin 0.160, Max pull (Bottom Layer) - 6000lbf, Max on drum 75m (250ft)
8mm (5/16) cable, Shear pin 0.130, Max pull (Bottom Layer) - 3800lbf, Max on drum 100m (330ft)

I can get shear pins as required, so what do you all reckon? I am thinking that 75m of 9mm may be better for my purposes. Betsy is not a heavyweight vehicle. Is there any point in having an extra 1400 lbs pull for the sake of a 100ft shorter cable?

Opinions appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #16227828th May 2007 11:18 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes there is, it's better to have less on the drum (and therefore more pulling force) to start off with, generally you start using a winch when the vehicle is at the point of being most stuck, once you have the initial movement the rest of the winching is generally to move the vehicle to a place where it can be driven. if you want more capacity, use a winch extension cable (just a bit shorter than the one on the drum)That way you can winch until the hook is up to the fairlead, remove the extension, pay out the cable from the drum and continue winching Wink

Post #16228428th May 2007 11:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Perfect sense!. 11mm it is then.

Post #16228528th May 2007 11:27 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Cable

As 10 said, that would be my thinking as well, how is the fitting going, i cant wait to see that in action.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #16230129th May 2007 12:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be honest, its a Censored heavy job!

So far I have attached the pto to the transfer box, only to find that the exhaust fouls it. Mine is a 2a, with an S3 chassis, so certain mods have been made to accept later components. The 2a exhaust goes under the x-members, the S3 goes over - where the PTO sits! So S2 exhaust on the shopping list.

I have also got the pilot holes drilled in the front chassis dumb irons to accept the winch carrier. That was a battle as I think my chassis is made out of titanium Wink

I have routed the pto shaft past the sump, and made a support braket for it.

To do - fit exhaust, fit winch to carrier, fit military bumperettes to winch bumper (looks sissy withtout them)
Connect pto shaft. Fit operating handle, Fit shear pins.

Post #16230629th May 2007 12:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >