Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Windscreen replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Hormic23

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

FISHBOY wrote:
One of my dads pals came round tonight after having his windscreen done as he was concerned that the rubberised strip that buts up from the scuttle to the base of the windscreen now has a 3mm gap pretty much the way across it.

Mine is flush and tight to the screen as its never been changed. Should he be worried about it or return it for glueing as everything will just run down there?

Must admit, I dont know if there is anything important down there.

^Has anyone else experienced a gap between the base of the windscreen and rubber seal on the cowl when either fitting a new screen or replacing the cowl? I’ve cleaned, primed and repainted my windscreen cowl and refitted, but now have a 2-3 mm gap on the drivers side Big Cry

I’ve used new clips and they all appear to have seated ok.
 2007 D3 TDV6 XS - GONE
BAS Remap
EGRs blanked
Adaptive bi-xenons
RLD spare wheel protector 

Post #214594414th May 2020 7:48 am
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Autoglass

Had my screen replaced about 3 weeks ago after large crack appeared from stone hitting it, rang insurance but due to Covid 19 you cannot speak to an agent, just options & when you choose windscreen it just puts you thru to Autoglass, booked in & advises that I wanted Pilkington glass fitted, as told they will fit manufacturers spec so nievely thought it would be Pilkington (despite all posts on here saying it won’t be) Guess what it was Fuyao & after a couple of days it was obvious that it was a s Censored t fitting job as scuttle panel did not fit to screen & had let water in so my cabin filter was full, this also resulted in a day or so later with my dash lighting up like 4th July & car going into limp mode, managed to get it off the road & turned it off & then on & it started & all OK & has been fine since, I did tape up the scuttle to windscreen so that no more water could get in.
Today I went back to autoglass to get them to fix trim issues the A post trim on drivers side was tight against the bonnet, fitter told me it was a clip issue & just needed pushing over till I showed him you could not move it, when I went to collect after they had removed the screen & refitted it lower down, the A post trim is still not right But at least the scuttle panel is now tight against the windscreen, I also asked why they replace the A post trims & the fitter explained that when you grab it on windscreen & pull it off it distorts the plastic, I took the originals off several times & put them back no problems but I did it properly using a trim clip lifter & not just tearing them off. Autoglass also use non genuine A post trim panels so the fit is pretty s Censored t As you would expect, the genuine one are £56 each from Rimmer bros, I will see if I can get some used originals or does anyone have any for sale?

I still have to question insurance but that will be another day, one fight per day is enough for me.

Just an observation when Autoglass confirmed today’s booking I did question why screen was different colour to side glass & was told it was because tint is in the plastic between the 2 pieces of glass, I have researched on internet & as far as I have seen the tint is applied to the glass not the membrane between so that is a bit of b Censored it from there customer service team.

My overall impression from Autoglass is that fitters are reasonable but it is a way to make money & b Censored it people who they think don’t understand, I have 28 years in the car manufacturing sector working for Rover, you can’t b Censored it me easily, I will be complaining in the strongest way to Autoglass.

Tom

Post #21710621st Sep 2020 4:56 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I had mine replaced by Autoglass earlier this year. They confirmed prior to the appointment that it would be Pilkington as that's all they fit to LR.
Drove for 40 mins to the fitting centre (nearest one open during lockdown) and found it was a Fuyeo branded screen. Rejected it and autoglass then double checked with my insurance company (Admiral) who advised that they do not pay out for Pilkington for LR over 3 years old, and even then only at their discretion. None of this was mentioned in my insurance documents but after a lot of digging around I found the clause buried deep on their website so I had no choice.
Rebooked with autoglass, had the Fuyeo screen fitted and have had no issues since. Once it gets a bit colder ill be able to test out the heated screen elements but it has a lifetime warranty I believe, or at least some sort of warranty, so if doesn't work ill just get it sorted by autoglass directly at their expense.

apparently LR now fit Fuyeo side and rear glass to all their models, and to windscreens on Disco Sport
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21711332nd Sep 2020 7:26 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Had my RRS screen replaced during lockdown. Admiral are the insurer so Autoglass, of course, and they fitted one of their "shaterpruf" screens. No chance to discuss it during lockdown so just have to put up with it. Hopefully it'll be effective come the frost.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21711422nd Sep 2020 8:18 am
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

RogB wrote:
Once it gets a bit colder ill be able to test out the heated screen elements but it has a lifetime warranty I believe, or at least some sort of warranty, so if doesn't work ill just get it sorted by autoglass directly at their expense.

I am in the same boat. I wanted a reputable brand but I am not too worried as it has a lifetime warranty with Autoglass. They have already been good to me - they repaired a chip that failed within a week so I have a new windscreen FOC.

Post #21711472nd Sep 2020 8:36 am
Chris x

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Had my RRS screen replaced during lockdown. Admiral are the insurer so Autoglass, of course, and they fitted one of their "shaterpruf" screens. No chance to discuss it during lockdown so just have to put up with it. Hopefully it'll be effective come the frost.
Good luck! Just looked back at my post on the previous page and that's what I had fitted (was fitted by previous owner). It was going while/de-laminating, plus only a few strands of the heated screen worked. Hope it lasts for you.  
Post #21711782nd Sep 2020 1:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >