United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

thanks aja4x4, im a taurean so stubborn by nature Rolling with laughter
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #210488710th Dec 2019 11:49 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Me too Thumbs Up

I have had about 3 windscreens in my D4 commercial and i have always asked for genuine, the insurance company has always agreed without question its the Windscreen companies that question it.
I now use a local company who call my insurance and sort it out for me.

Post #210495410th Dec 2019 7:32 pm
Chris x

United Kingdom 

Chris x wrote:
Fun and games begin...

Cracked screen on my Discovery 3 HSE, + the fact 95% of the heated elements don't work and the screen is turning white at the top (already been replaced before with a make I've never heard of)...

Contact Auto glass on Tuesday - They say they will fit a Pilkington screen as standard (yeh, OK...), and its booked in for this morning... booking confirmation comes through yesterday and I ask via the website link for them to confirm that it's Pilkington - the answer is no (surprise surprise) and they will do it next Tuesday as Pilkington comes from another warehouse.

Get a call this morning and its the guy outside waiting to fit the screen, I ask is it Pilkington and he says no, the make is Swaya/Swara/Suayara or something along those lines and he keeps reiterating that's who LR use now as they main supplier for new builds?

Anyway, sent him packing, just got off the phone to Auto glass and they are going back to my insurance company (LV) to ask for permission to fit a genuine screen...

Censored Censored take. Wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't heated, but from ALL of my previous cars with heated screens (at least 5), everyone that's had a replacement screen that isn't genuine or Pilkington, the heater elements have been pretty much all dead.

Thought I should update this...

After a bit of back and forth from Auto glass - They WILL fit Pilkinton without asking your insurance company for money. It is part of there 'normal' list for replacement. If wanting LR glass, they will go back to your insurance company. I asked for this anyway - as my excess with LV is £140. LV agreed to LR glass at no additional cost and it was fitted on the 14th!

Old:

In work having the new one fitted:

Replacement A pillar trim fitted as standard, apparently:

Only issue:

I'm assuming windscreen adhesive. I emailed them this morning (Yes I know, nearly a month on!). Will see what they say. The picture is time stamped the following day, just kept forgetting to mail them about it!

All in all, not a bad result.

Post #210509811th Dec 2019 12:18 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

im with LV too... same excess

so ill push for a genuine screen when the time comes Thumbs Up
Post #210511211th Dec 2019 12:41 pm
Hairy47

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Anyone managed an lr screen through admiral?
Tia
Andy

Post #210513511th Dec 2019 2:18 pm
bronjen

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Update, Autoglass has spoken to my insurer and have agreed to use Pilkington glass at no extra charge to me Mr. Green
Have fitted the required heater control unit complete with heated front and rear window switch pack,plus 2 fuses in the main fuse box.
Am missing the relay in the fuse box, is it a standard relay or a timed relay?
Do I need an IID tool to reconfigure and let the car know it has a heated front screen.
I found the wiring for the screen in the A post, is there any other fuses or timers I need to fit into the car?

Bow down

Post #211486922nd Jan 2020 4:28 pm
bronjen

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Had new screen fitted fitted and wired up, fitted correct relay in fuse box checked fuse 15 and 18 they did not work with my probe, opened fuse box and found there is only a large purple and gray wire connected to one side of the fuse.
What colour wire should be connected to the other side of the fuse and most importantly where should it be connected to to get the heated window to work Big Cry

Post #211612327th Jan 2020 1:06 pm
weety

United Kingdom 

Hi Had mine replaced by national windscreens . 2 weeks ago. After the 5th time of coming to replace. Twice it was raining LoL. next time They had wrong clips and the next time . Somebody had damaged the elec tric terms. LoL. 5th time. Hurray. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter . Bloody useless company.

Post #21260166th Mar 2020 9:49 am
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had a chip repaired on my windscreen on Monday hoping that this meant I wouldn't have to go through the bother of arguing why I needed a genuine windscreen if it cracked.

Five days later and the chip has cracked... that was a waste of £20! Autoglass did the chip repair and other than swearing about the previous customer being late to me, he seemed like a nice enough man. He did mention at the time that a repair comes with a liftetime warranty. Has anyone heard this before and tried to cash in on it?

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repair-a...guarantee/

Post #21260596th Mar 2020 2:10 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

switched my insurance in March from LV to Admiral as the LV excesses had gone up astronomically, with an increase from £125 to £190 for windscreen

ive just tried to get my windscreen replaced, no issues booking it other than having to travel 40 minutes to get it done at Autoglass in Nottingham. I booked it online, and in the comments section requested Land Rover or Pilkington branded only OEM screen. I phone Autoglass yesterday to confirm and was told that they only fit Pilkington to Land Rovers so all good...……. think again !!

Turned up this morning for my booking, asked them to check the brand on the replacement screen and it was Fuyao.
They agreed I had requested OEM etc so called head office, who will have to check if they have any in stock and if so whether the increased costs are covered by my insurance.

Now got to wait for a call back..... good job the cracks aren't too bad even if they are most likely an MOT failure which is due in August.
Post #214549312th May 2020 2:12 pm
Washwipe

England 

Fuyao aren’t so bad Rog, you’ve been looking through them for a few years. Wink

Post #214549512th May 2020 2:19 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

Reviews on here and other websites are not favourable. I believe they may be fitted to some newer LR products but for some reason they apparently dont sit well in D3 or D4.

I've currently got a chipped/cracked Nordglass screen but my view is if I dont ask I dont get and I did ask when I booked it in.

I can but try for the best quality screen I can get Very Happy
Post #214550012th May 2020 2:53 pm
Washwipe

England 

Fuyao was standard fitment by LR on the FL2 Thumbs Up

Post #214557512th May 2020 6:21 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

it really is all down to type approval.
Whatever is fitted to FL2's and even Evoques does not match with D4. Pilkington is what is stated, with or without LR logo.
Any RTA incident involving screen issues is liable to find poor favour with insurers.[/i]

Post #214558912th May 2020 6:58 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

email back from Autoglass

Admiral will not authorise payment for fitting of a Pilkington or OEM screen as my D4 is over 3 years old.

if I want a ''proper'' windscreen fitting ill have to pay a total of £759 out my own pocket. Shocked

nowhere in my insurance policy can I find a get out clause for cars over 3 years old or a maximum cost for a replacement.

after a lot of digging around I found this statement buried deep within Admirals windscreen policy, although this is mentioned in the policy document they have given me.

I didn't find this by browsing the Admiral website, I found a link via Google to the page which is on the Admiral website but very well hidden

''If any lost or damaged parts are no longer available, we will only pay the cost shown in the manufacturer’s latest price guide, together with reasonable fitting costs. If your car is three years old or more, we may decide to repair it with recycled parts, or with parts which have not been made by the car’s manufacturer, but are of a similar standard.''

so if the car is over 3 years old they can fit a recycled windscreen if they want to...….. Rolling Eyes

looks like im onto a losing battle here Big Cry
Post #214592314th May 2020 6:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >