Page 2 of 2 <12
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

fixed it yet ? Laughing

Post #232414425th Jan 2023 7:07 pm
pknagg

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Wipers parking in mid screen

I had exactly this problem. My wipers would park but mid screen even though they swept the full screen. I tried swapping out one of the 5 blade relays for a 4 blade and got them to stop where I turned them off, indicating a problem with the park switch. NO new motor needed this time. Eventually it was traced to the park switch wire chafing at the back of the ECU box behind the glove box. My friendly mechanic spent 4 hours tracing and fixing the wire. No problems since then (1 week and counting). I am in Lancashire, Fylde Coast.

Post #236026729th Jan 2024 11:26 am
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi,

I've just (Sat evening !) fixed this exact problem on my own MY 2010 D4 - arose when wipers kicked-in before I'd cleared heavy snow from screen, they pushed the snow half-way up then stalled and thereafter I had the exact symptoms you've noted above - where WHILE OPERATING the wipers sweep normally but WHEN PARKED they always return to 45 degrees-ish which is rubbish for safe driving.

Unable to fix in any "smart" way and I concluded there's no "service position" on my own MY although clearly later cars have this feature 'cos I see it discussed regularly.
Short term I ordered a used replacement via Ebay which arrived as a complete assembly with the cranks/levers/spindles ('cos it's a significant hassle to separate the motor unit from the levers I now realise, not just a spanners job). The replacement is clearly a bit "tired" but short term works well enough.

I BELIEVE the fault with the old assembly lies inside the motor unit with a "rotating contact+disc" having slipped or displaced, in coming weeks I'll clean it, strip the motor unit and see if can be fixed to keep as standby.

Replacing the entire wiper motor + levers assembly is easy (but do watch the torque when re-attaching the wiper arms - too loose and they slip, too tight and you can crack/crumble the alloy wiper knuckle where it sits on the splines). I realised when replacing my assembly that there's been a windscreen replacement somewhere in the past, with several plastic trim clips missing/broken for securing the scuttle plate and A pillar exterior trims.

Some YOUTUBE clips are available, variable quality !!

*** Can anyone recommend source of good replacement trim clips for these components please ? ***

In a few weeks I'll post again here - with pics of the wiper motor unit stripped and hopefully can see what broke !!

Cheers & good luck with your wipers Smile))

KPT

Post #236027829th Jan 2024 1:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >