Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

When should I worry about weight?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
IanMarsh

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Kenny57 wrote:

Ian Marsh, I'm in the south of the county but my elderly mother-in-law lives in Stapleford and we visit regularly. It would be rude not to take the Disco with us and drop in on you at some point. Do you have an appointment system or is it just turn up and pay?

The bridge is open 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday. No need to book and its cash only. Thumbs Up

Post #218606711th Nov 2020 10:36 am
James W

United Kingdom 

This thread made me think of the leaflet BUPA sent me home with, following my last company medical
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #218606811th Nov 2020 10:42 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Kenny57 wrote:
Interesting! PCT3, from what you say I may be going way overboard with my underside protection. The primary intention was rock protection, so I have the Devon4x4 8mm thick steering and transmission armour, plus 6mm under the fuel tank. I'm currently also fitting an 8mm rear diff plate and a rear bumper "grounding" slider because the leaving angle is so poor. Probably comes in at around 60kg of aly, I'll have to check but the hole saw may have to come out if its much more!

What sort of off roading do you do? Lots of serious rock crawling or hours spent axle deep in think mud? Do you need all of that underbody protection or is it just "nice to have"?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #218607711th Nov 2020 10:59 am
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Do not forget quoted weights may not include a full tank of fuel, derv roughly 1kg per litre, I did say roughly before anyone starts crying!

0.832Kg per litre to be a bit smoother than rough Whistle
But that has no bearing on the GVM, this is the maximum legal weight of the vehicle regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #218607811th Nov 2020 10:59 am
Kenny57

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ian Marsh, will certainly drop by when I finish messing around underneath.

RRSTDV8, mostly mud trenches I guess, but went with my mates to Wales between lockdowns and did the Florida Strata (except for the closed bits). Was a fair bit of both rocks and mud trenches and thats the sort of thing I'd like to do a lot more of. I thought a nice flat plated underside would be both protection, and help me slide along on the mud, so just a "nice to have/peace of mind" thing rather than any bad experiences As it happens mine didn't even make it that far due to suspension failure but that's another story. 🙄😊

Post #218609511th Nov 2020 11:53 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Strata Florida can be done with a standard D4 / RRS. I have an under front plate but that's it. And I don't think that was needed on the Strata.

But it's nice to have some bits on there "just in case" - that's the sales pitch to SWMBO! Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #218611711th Nov 2020 12:47 pm
Kenny57

Laughing I've been rumbled!

Thumbs Up

Post #218616611th Nov 2020 2:41 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

On my RRS, the bog-standard plate at the front is very scratched but has never bent and (so far) I haven't picked up any damage to steering, etc. From the top of Strata Florida is a steep lane that has a big crater in it. When it was really bad I effectively slid over/round it on the chassis-rail things and the undertrays. Scratches, but no damage (apart from the removal of side-steps).

Weight-wise, I tend to think, "well, it could have two Americans in the back seats".

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #218617011th Nov 2020 2:53 pm
Kenny57

Hmm... a mate managed to rip his D3 EAS compressor off on one of his first trips out, and the rear section of his exhaust on another. While we were in Wales he also managed to rip his whole rear bumper off. That's probably why I'm a bit paranoid about my underside protection.

I also tend to do car mods with a view to strength and durability... not so much Colin Chapman, more a bit Isambard Brunel Very Happy Very Happy

Post #218625411th Nov 2020 7:56 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

That reminds me, I've got a Prospeed compressor guard in the garage. Bought it to see if it would fit my RRS but sadly it doesn't. That bit of the chassis is just a tad different between D3 and RRS. I should dig it out, photo it and stick it in the for sale section really.

http://prospeed-group.co.uk/product/discov...sor-guard/
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #218627811th Nov 2020 8:58 pm
Kenny57

Yup, got one of them.... or at least very similar but without the extra cost of the name Whistle

Post #218635212th Nov 2020 12:14 am
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Although I don’t run with underbody protection, I have thought about the rear bumper protection, have been a few instances where they have popped off whilst we have been training, we are not JLR or landrover experience, so train in real world conditions, D3/4s are very capable but there weight really lets them down on slippery descents or side slopes, but they have better departure angles than any of the pickups lol
Just have to say hill decent doesn’t work on a 1in1 slope with grip have tried it you need 2nd low and plenty of throttle to keep your steering
 Discovery 3 HSE 07
Discovery 1, Search & Rescue SE4x4 Responce
Fiat Decato motor home
Mazda MX5 

Post #218636412th Nov 2020 12:54 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Kelvo wrote:
lynalldiscovery wrote:
Do not forget quoted weights may not include a full tank of fuel, derv roughly 1kg per litre, I did say roughly before anyone starts crying!

0.832Kg per litre to be a bit smoother than rough Whistle
But that has no bearing on the GVM, this is the maximum legal weight of the vehicle regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.

In the UK if you are overweight you are overweight, and if its the fuel then its your tough luck, so yes fuel does have a bearing on the gross weight figures.

That is why they often quote one person and maybe 10 litres of fuel.

Post #218647512th Nov 2020 4:07 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

EEC " Kerbside" weight includes full tank of fuel, unladen needn't

Post #218650612th Nov 2020 6:01 pm
Kenny57

I noticed that about EEC "Kerbside" weight, but then looking around different car mag / spec websites all sorts of figures are quoted for a D3. Perhaps even what options are fitted can have an impact.

I'm going to take above advice, go get it weighed once I have my mods done, and stick to the 3230kg "Gross" weight limit (in my handbook) as the maximum it can be fully loaded with fuel, people and luggage and equipment. If I want more to carry more equipment, might just have to sacrifice taking passengers Laughing

I guess this answers my original question as well. Since the difference between the standard kerb weight and the gross weight isn't actually that big compared to the weight of the car, then if its currently "competent" off-road, filling it full of kit up to the limit isn't going to make much difference. Very Happy

Post #218664413th Nov 2020 9:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >