Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Worrying gearbox thump on my car today...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You've always got Lakeland Land Rover http://lakeland-landrover.co.uk/ Just along the road at Torver Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #127232219th Apr 2014 9:58 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Update on this issue. I am still on holiday, and the problem seems to have got worse, and then gone away!

Drove over Wrynose and the Hardknott passes the day before yesterday, and the car was horrible, it thumped and chugged its way over, but barely made it around some of the tighter corners, as it would not downshift from 3 to 2,or to 1st. This meant that as I had to keep the accelerator pressed hard to try and keep moving, with the revs down to less than 1000, it would then suddenly downshift, with a bang and even spun up the front wheels at one point! I tried using the command shift, but that was the same, very sudden downshifts, with a loud thump.

Yesterday, went to Barrow to pickup a spare part for the caravan, and had to refill the tank. Filled with Shell V Power (my usual fuel). Since then the car has been perfect.

I can't figure this out. The problem appears to have originally happened after a fill of fuel from a back of beyond service station in Yorkshire. I have since run it down to less than 10 miles range and refilled with V Power at my local Shell. Problem persisted until I filled again yesterday (car was still on 150 miles range, so was probably 2/3rds of a tank put in yesterday.

Can anyone see this problem been caused by the fuel? surely the gearbox adaption is not this sensitive?

I have not been to the local dealer yet, but was about to go today - until the problem went away!

Post #127370323rd Apr 2014 8:59 am
DALEK

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Just a thought, I filled up a diesel 4x4 years ago and it turned out it had a hi water content, Something to do with the tank at the filling station being nearly empty. Anyway after a nightmare few hundred miles I filled it up again and problem solved!

Its a real longshot...

Cheers

Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE ........................Gone!!!  
Post #127371323rd Apr 2014 9:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had a similar experience some years back - horrible drive, thought car was fubarred but turned out to be a carp tank of diesel. Nice new fresh stuff soon sorted it.

Thumbs Up

Post #127372823rd Apr 2014 9:40 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Me too, similar experience in a 90 (I know, the shame!! Embarassed Laughing ). Once filled up again the problem was gone. Thumbs Up

Post #127373623rd Apr 2014 9:52 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I know it goes with out saying but I will anyway ! LOL It has got to be worth speaking to the dealer at least. They could either confirm what you suspect regarding the carp fill of fuel or they may want to run a diagnostic and see what, if any faults show up. Sounds like it is quite scary when it does this and if you were in a more vulnerable position with SWMBO and the kids and it decided to play up then. Leaving a junction perhaps? I'd say that'd be MORE scary Sad If it was me, I'd be getting it checked out. Just MHO of course!

Hope you get it sorted,

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #127374723rd Apr 2014 10:20 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear about your problems, Gareth.
You are following the right recipe though, don't let it ruin your holidays.

It would seem strange to me the fuel to be the cause, but you never know with all this complex electronics. I hope that the v-power has permanently fixed this, do keep us posted!

Post #127392923rd Apr 2014 5:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >