DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Xmas adventure in the disco part 1
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bigdave18

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Xmas adventure in the disco part 1

Hi all

Just wanted to share my Xmas drive with you.
I drove to the middle of Poland from the west Midlands on £146 of lpg. I thought that was pretty good going. Especially when the wife took most of the house with us.

It was not without its drama's.
I have not driven the disco any real distance. I brought it as a spares and repairs.

So this was it's Maiden voyage.
I quickly found out if you do more than 80 miles with a small leak on the front spring it tends to annoy the car and puts the fault light on. Continue and after the 120 mile mark it decided to deflate the system.

So this was a great start as we had not got to the port yet.
Before we set off I changed the oil in the diffs. And transfer box. As well as fit a new prop center bearing.
I had a groaning noise coming from under the car it sounded like faint wheel bearing or a dry prop bearing. When i found the failed center bearing I thought that would be the noise.
Turns out it wasn't.
As we got near to the port it was apparent it was the rear diff pinion bearing. The reason I know this is you could not put you hand on the diff at that location

So more hassle. Well I decided we are committed to the journey and had rac cover so my idea was to carry on regardless and see how we went.

so from france to belgum then Germany. We were not doing too bad on time even with stopping every 80 mile. To let suspension reset and diff to cool.

So halfway in Germany we stop for our 80 mile rest got a coffee came back turned the ignition on now it won't crank over.
After 9 attempts it starts up.

So now 3 things wrong.
As we get near Berlin the diff starts to get a bit more noiser. So we call a friend in poland to ask for the use of his ramp to look at swaping the rear diff. If parts are available.

So after getting into Poland We searched the net for a diff and guess what.
Not one single diff anywhere off v8.

I should also point out. That in fact on the way across Europe I did not see one disco 3.

Dam look at the time will finish this off in a bit. It's sleep time.

Post #202268527th Jan 2019 1:51 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

wow trip full of surprises

i know this company who should have what you looking for http://landroverczesci.com/?kontakt,2 in case your friend does not have parts i guess he can give them a shout

good luck fixing it all

G

Post #202271727th Jan 2019 9:13 am
Bigdave18

Ahhh i wished id of found them on the Google search. I know for next time.

Because I could not find a v8 one I decided to search for a deisel front and back and change them both so the ratios would be the same.
We found some 350 km from where we were staying. I decided to hire a van rather then risk the disco any further as we had been pleading with it to get us to my wife's mums.
When my wife's uncle had heard about our issue he said he would take us in his car. I reluctantly agreed as I'm not the best sat in the passenger seat. Well I have never been so terrified in all my life. I'm sure he was a kamikaze pilot in a former life. We spent more time in the other lane over taking people on the wrong side of the road pulling out onto on coming traffic.
All I kept seeing was crosses at the side of the road where people had lost there lives. Thinking to myself mine will say here was Dave.

Anyway we got to the place. It was some very rundown industrial unit in the middle of a forest area. The guy took me to the pile of diffs. And pointed at these rusty things.

They had been stored outside and the water had got in rusted them up. I could not turn them by hand.

So 700 km round trip for nothing. Worse still I had to get back in the car with the lunatic.

Don't get my wrong I was grateful he took the time to help. And have him the fuel money and a bit more for his time.
But never again.

Anyway got back and decided to call rac to see what they can do. Told them my situation and they said they could help get the parts as in there words "We have a vast network that enables us to get you moving again" the only stipulation was that it had to be fitted by a garage. So that was no issue. I asked them to source a diff.

One of the issues I had it was between Xmas and new year so a lot of places were closed for the holidays.
I Was continuing to use the disco just with a grumbly whine.
The starting issue started to get more frequent having to turn the key about 10 -12 time to get it to crank over.

Anyway 2 days before we are due to start our drive back we gets a a text from rac saying sorry we can't get the parts due to holidays places are closed.
So I called them and said so what solution do you have. They said we can repatriate the car and give you a hire car to get you to the port then another one to get you home from the port. However they said you have a £2500 limit on your policy it will cost 1400 to get your car back. And the hire car from Poland to France and the cost for someone to collect it from there. You might not have enough money to get a car from dover to home. Great I should of read the very small print more carefully.

They said it's my choice. I decided I wanted to see how far the disco would get us back. Then if it gives up we will be closer to the port this means the repatriation costs would be less.

So we set off. Stopping every 80 miles to let the suspension pump cool and reset. The diff to cool and arguing with it to start.
Turns out even tho we had all this going on the disco wanted to get home under it's own steam.

We set off a day earlier than planned. Brought a little camping stove some bread and Beans and eggs. Little kettle ready for the breakdown to happen so we would not go hungry or thirsty while we were wating for rescue. But it never happened. It just continued I'll be honest it supprised me.
Even at one point on the autobarn I had a little tussle with some audi that was up my backside as I was overtaking. I pulled in and he stated to overtake. So I put my foot down and matched his acceleration upto 125mph with my wife going remember the diff remember the diff.
So back down to 70-80 ish.

So the disco did us proud in the end.
Rac called me 2 days after we got home asking if we're ok or do we still need there assistance. Not sure what assistance they did bit still.

So now I have brought 2 diffs of a deisel with a lower ratio. Just to swap them over while I refurbish the others.

Going to fit the spring today.
And I'm working on the starting issue. Getting closer to the issue with that.

Just thought I would share my eventful Xmas drive
And remember to check the small print on the breakdown cover

And all this said it was a very comfortable drive. We did 500 miles in one day ( 80 mile stops of course) I can't get over it costing us £146 fuel there And £153 back.
Lpg all they way that's what I say.

Post #202273127th Jan 2019 10:21 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

for the next time in Poland you need to find parts or garage who knows LR:
http://landklinika.pl/index.php?option=com...Itemid=107
for more parts:
https://landstore.pl/brand:land_rover if in emergency and do not have time for second hand ones

and oldest place doing stuff to LR products in PL : https://lr.pl/wieliczka

G

Post #202273927th Jan 2019 10:46 am
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

An interesting read. Thumbs Up
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #202276127th Jan 2019 12:05 pm
Bigdave18

grzesiul wrote:
for the next time in Poland you need to find parts or garage who knows LR:
http://landklinika.pl/index.php?option=com...Itemid=107
for more parts:
https://landstore.pl/brand:land_rover if in emergency and do not have time for second hand ones

and oldest place doing stuff to LR products in PL : https://lr.pl/wieliczka

G

Thanks for all the info.
I was there for 2 and a half weeks and only seen 1 disco 2 in all that time.
On the way home in the middle of Germany I spotted an identical disco 3 with uk plates. I drove upto it in the petrol station and the owner was a polish guy he was as supprised to see me as I was him. He had been to the north of Poland and had not seen another disco 3 until mine. Even his children were going round my car saying it was just like there's and it's the only one they have seen.
Not sure why there so rare there.
His was tdv6 tho.

Even on the drive through the continent we didn't see one and he said the same.

I thought it was very strange.

There was a few Rangerovers ( new) in the city's but no Cisco's
I even pit winter tyres on it ready for the snow it had forecast. What a waste of money they was.

Mind you it's a legal requirement in Germany so best to be safe i guess.

We're all ready planning the next road trip Smile

Post #202281827th Jan 2019 3:48 pm
Bigdave18

Just an update for anyone that's intrested looks like the starting fault was a faulty relay in the engine compartment fuse box.
Glad i didn't just go and buy a starter motor

Post #20243001st Feb 2019 11:48 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just found your V8 adventure - sounds like one of those Top Gear road trips Laughing

Post #20250303rd Feb 2019 10:57 am
Bigdave18

Story of my life.
My mate brought a vw camper van while drunk off ebay and paied for it with paypal. Then texted me telling me he had done it anyway he asked if i Could pick it up as its a non runner. Af course i can no bother. Where is it i aked.

Errrrr st austall he replied. What a TiT !!! Nearly 600 mile round trip in a disco 1 v8
I should of asked where it was before i said yes.
Anyway what a task the we hit some traffic on the way back amd the satnav said it found a route that was 30 min faster would we like to take it. So i pressed the accept button with the exciting prospect we would be 30 min faster. To find out it decieded to take us over bodmin moor. Oh the joy. The hills were so steep i was in low box dragging this pile a rust he brought on a trailer. We got to the top and the v8 decieded to overheat and boil its water off. And in the middle of bodmin moor where do you get more water from !!!!!

We ended up siphoning some out the pile of junk on the trailer using some straws we had in the empty mc d drinks we had on the way.

Never a dull moment.

So who wants to go on a road trip 😁😁😁😁

Post #20251503rd Feb 2019 4:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >