Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Xonrich
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Big_Dan

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Xonrich

There are a million threads on adding a reversing camera / car play and all the options become expensive. Adding a camera is the most important thing for me.

The Xonrich head unit that replaces the 4x4 screen looks like a good solution, but has anyone had one that's actually lasted more than a few months?
 2003 Discovery 2 V8 GS
2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 AMG-Line 

Post #232422926th Jan 2023 4:20 pm
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I can't personally comment on the longevity of the Xonrich (or myriad other) Chinese screen replacements, however if a rear view cam is the priority then I'd definitely consider the RRS + auto-brightness screen mod. I did it on a couple of screens last year and I now have a fully-functional reversing cam on the original display (albeit slightly off-centre, but so is the camera itself).

Total cost was:
£30 for the camera
£8 or thereabouts for the RCA to Fakra cable
£5 approx. for the bits for the brightness mod (essential)
A couple of hours to mod the screen
Another couple of hours to mount the camera and run the cable through the car

You do need a GAP IID or similar to enable the reverse camera in the CCF.

I made a few notes and took some photos as I was going, happy to go into more detail if you're interested but all I really did was build on the existing excellent knowledge on the forum.
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #232424926th Jan 2023 7:31 pm
Philw1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi 480GT , I'm really interested in the project you carried out as it is something I wish to do to my D3 , I already have a camera and a Fakra cable to RCA ,
I'm intrigued as to the mods to the RRS screen and the brightness mod , would much appreciate if you could go into more detail and maybe some photos of the job in progress if you could please .

Phil

Post #232657513th Feb 2023 10:28 pm
480GT

Hi Phil - sorry it's taken a while for me to get back to this!

The thread you are interested in is here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic74474.html

A basic summary is as follows:

1. Remove the middle wire from the JST connector on the button PCB as shown on the first page. No need to cut it, just use a scalpel or small screwdriver to lift the plastic tab on the connector and pull the crimp out, then tape it back onto the loom. Adding a switch is optional, but if you've got the brightness mod there's really no need. RRS mode does everything Disco mode does plus a lot more.

2. Make and install the brightness mod - all credit goes to others who came before and worked out the details, in particular Wiggs, Rennos and Panoramix (apologies to any others whose names I've missed!). Instructions for this can be found in the thread (and there are a few different approaches mentioned), but a short summary of the way I implemented it is as follows:

This is the circuit I used. Connections are as per the image below, credit to Rennos:

Click image to enlarge

Here is my bill of materials:

Click image to enlarge

Should all be up to date and working, only thing I'm not 100% on is the value of the resistor I used. With it all wired up you should be seeing approximately 3.5V in daylight conditions (i.e. with the circuit on your workbench with ambient light) and 0.6V at night (i.e. with a finger over the LDR). A certain amount of mucking about with a setup like this may be helpful:

Once it's all assembled the resulting circuit can be covered in heatshrink and the LDR hot-glued into the lens. Next, drill a hole in the screen surround:

Pop the lens/circuit into place:

And run the wires with the crimps fitted into the appropriate positions on the appropriate connectors back with the existing loom for the buttons:

Put the whole thing back together and you've got RRS mode with automatic brightness!

I used this camera mounted on the boot handle, where it goes on the D4:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PARKVISION-Revers...08CVCQN4B/
You can adjust the image position and parking lines (if you want them) to a certain extent using a button after installation - this is handy for us as the screen offsets the image, and mounted on the boot handle it's already off to one side to begin with.

The cable then runs up through the upper boot with the rest of the wires, then behind the rear quarter trim, then through the sills and behind the dash. It connects to the brown (I think) socket on the back of the screen with a fakra adapter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194710984300

You can verify that it's installed and working properly using the debug menu on the screen: from the home menu, press the top middle of the display for five seconds, then press the left hard button, then enter code '753', then go to video inputs.

The final step is to tell the car that it has a reverse camera fitted, for which you need a GAP IIDTool. If you've got access to one of them then it's as simple as changing the relevant entry in the CCF, and then the screen will switch as soon as you put the gearbox in reverse, and then stay in reverse mode for about 10 seconds or until you hit about 10mph going forwards, whichever happens first.

Bonus - I did this a while ago but if I recall correctly the hard buttons are reversed in RRS mode, and I think I got around that be re-pinning the connector. Could be wrong, but worth a try!

Having read back that's a bit of a brain dump so I hope you get something useful from it, if anything is confusing then let me know and I (or maybe someone else more qualified than me Laughing) will do my/our best to go into more detail.
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #232752721st Feb 2023 8:30 pm
Philw1

Hi 480gt , thank you this is most helpful , Yes it is a bit of a Brain dump lol but very clear and detailed , certainly a mod worth doing and will done soon on mine .

Cheers Phil

Post #232764122nd Feb 2023 9:07 pm
480GT

No problem - forgot to mention that if you haven't already then update the software on the bluetooth module with the GAP tool at the same (and the instrument cluster, optionally).

Also noticed that your car is a 2005 in Tonga Green, fine taste you have sir! Laughing
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #232767223rd Feb 2023 8:32 am
Philw1

Thank you will do , Yes a nice in Tong Green with cream leather , mine has a green top dash , and half green door cards and various green plastics inside ,most have black leather or cream with black dash and half black door cards ,
My dash top has the wonderful splits around airbag due to UV's , But I have managed to find a bang on green colour match plastic spray ,so will be changing the dash top for a black one sprayed green Smile .

Post #232774923rd Feb 2023 9:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >