Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My 2004 Tonga Green D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 30 of 32 <123 ... 29 303132>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

DVLA sorted Very Happy All my cars are now registered back on the road Very Happy And the con man responsible is being dealt with Laughing

So, damaged eye from a falling eye to recover from now Rolling with laughter Then get on with the dreaded rear upper arms and front lower arms! Also going to get the air con condenser in and 2 rear tyres changed.

Going to watch the how to youtube video over and over and over and keep a link on my phone for when I am doing the actual job. But really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of my D3!

Post #233919612th Jun 2023 10:54 am
disco-nut

I don't know why people fear the rear upper arm job on these. Don't bother with attempting to get the bolts out if the look corroded, Just go straight to cutting them. So as a rule of thumb in this weather, I am not working past mid day because of the heat and my health, so this morning started this job. The brake pipe was new so an absolute doddle to get off. Started cutting the arm, then the heat outside ramped itself right up, so packed in for the day. Found a hole in my rear air bag though.

Post #233943514th Jun 2023 1:23 pm
disco-nut

I am making small progress with this, cut the largest part of the arm out, I originally thought it was just the 1 bush out of the 3 that nearest the air pump that was at fault, but the other 2 in the upper arm are soo much worse Shocked I am too lazy to upload the video that was recorded on here, but I have got photo's. The only reason this is taking me weeks instead of under a day is a lack of electric, too much heat, not enough time on site. So literally half an hour to an hour here and there, but desperate to get this back on the road.

I am hoping the weather Saturday is going to be cool enough and dry enough so I really want to just get this done.

Post #234017022nd Jun 2023 9:41 pm
disco-nut

Next stage in the battle with the top suspension arm with only a 42 year old generator that cuts out after an hour and limited tools to get the remains of it out. Nearly there, but now found I need another bush Shocked so I guess I have to suffer the Astra a little bit longer Laughing Laughing

Post #23414286th Jul 2023 8:01 pm
disco-nut

Whilst fighting pneumonia, (I am supposed to be on bed rest heavily medicate Shocked ) I am fighting with the last bit of the upper rear arm. Literally 2mm left to cut on the last bolt which this bolt alone has eaten 12 recip saw blades so far! I have ordered another pack of 5 costing me £15 a time! So will be hoping to get that evil bolt out tomorrow. I have also replaced the bonnet latches only to discover my old latches were absolutely fine, it was a seized bonnet release cable, so ordered that and waiting for it to come, started stripping the front down ready to replace the condenser as well. I am really really missing driving my Discovery. And now I have finished repairing a Mini with a blown turbo, I am going full speed at this cars repairs and maintenance as it will also be getting a full service.

What scares me now is, I still have the drivers side upper arm to do. I have also replaced the upper knuckle bush. I have bought the lower bush but not fitting that until the lower arms are changed.

Still leaves me with the front discs, pads, lower arms and wear sensor to do.

Post #234494112th Aug 2023 10:45 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear that ur unwell, had pneumonia in both my lungs in 2005 , is horrific fighting for breath along where they fit u with a forced air mask , talk about panic mode Big Cry

Hope ur on the mend mate as really understand how horrible it is , including going hot and cold sweats as u fight the infection

Ah yes the dreaded rear upper arms , a complete and utter Censored , also cut mine off, as I was replacing the arms, upper knuckle bush, the 3 x brake hoses , pipe each side I replaced the drop links as well with the meyle HD ones from advanced , used a dremel to cut them off very easily

Before I had the alignment done i used a spirit level and set the hub to zero and to be honest wasn’t that far out

Massive credit to u and Hope u get it all done along with looking after urself

Stay safe and well my friend

Post #234494312th Aug 2023 11:27 pm
disco-nut

Thanks Gstuart, I am still battling on, I spent this afternoon finishing getting that 1 bolt cut (16 blades for 1 bolt! Shocked ) I also did something very naughty as I wasn't feeling well and the noise of the reciprocating saw was grating me, so cable tied it to the top knuckle bush and left it to it and 30 minutes later, went back to it in time, and it just finished cutting through, BUT when I pulled it out, I accidentally cut 1 of the wires to the height sensor Censored

Good thing I do auto electrical work, so that is added to my list of to do's, but had to call it a day at that as I started getting worse. So now home relaxing.

I might repair the sensor plug and fit the new arm tomorrow afternoon, but not entirely sure yet. Just really desperate to get back to driving this again.

Post #234502313th Aug 2023 10:38 pm
disco-nut

I can't say how happy I am to say that the N/S upper arm and knuckle bush is finally done, I hope I never have to do that again Rolling with laughter Oh wait, now got the O/S to do Shocked A few lessons learned this time though, so hopefully the drivers side will go a bit quicker. I have bled the brakes properly, so no working brakes at the moment, but took it for a drive on the private land my business is at and I actually can't believe the noticeable difference in how it drives.

So not long now until I have it back on the road Very Happy

Thursday I will give it a major service, and tackle the drivers rear arm.

Post #234511314th Aug 2023 8:51 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good effort, but I still can't get my head around the wheels. Confused
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #234512514th Aug 2023 9:53 pm
disco-nut

I love my wheels Laughing I am going to be adding a roof spoiler as well.

Post #234512914th Aug 2023 10:35 pm
disco-nut

The O/S was surprisingly easy Shocked I managed to get all the bolts undone and the arm out whole, it wasn't making any noises or knocking, but wanted to replace it as I had replaced the other side. Also did the upper knuckle bush as well.

So I am going to sell the arm that came off as I think it is perfect for someone to paint and put new bushes in.

I had to take a quick break from this as I ended my contract with a garage I assisted due to not paying me on time and as a result, had to get one of my Freelanders off of there site after being cheeky and using there ramps to finish fitting the turbo Laughing

Tomorrow I hope to get the bonnet cable, A/C condenser and at least 1 front arm replaced.

Post #234555719th Aug 2023 7:08 pm
disco-nut

Still very ill, actually getting worse, but I really need to get my car done, as much as I love the Freelander convertible that I am currently driving, I really really really miss my Discovery Laughing once the Discovery is done, I will be closing the business for 1-2 weeks to allow myself time to recover properly.

So today after sorting a couple of customers cars, I managed to get my drivers front lower suspension arm done without ramps.

Tomorrow I will be doing the passenger side front lower arm, but with other jobs for other people I will probably have to finish the list of jobs on Tuesday which includes a full service including fuel filter, A/C condenser and bonnet release cable. Plus for now, I will be swapping the wheels over to my stormers which are on my Range Rover which is on the back burner to be repaired.

Post #234562120th Aug 2023 10:42 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do yourself a favour disco-nut, get the pneumonia sorted out, the car can wait. I had this several years ago, and ended up in the Royal Brompton Hospital for 2 weeks, on I/V antibiotics, steroid medication, nebulisers and god knows what other drugs. It’s a killer mate, and it won’t clear up without specific treatment, seriously. Good Luck Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #234562320th Aug 2023 11:10 pm
disco-nut

I am being monitored closely by my GP at the moment, I am surviving and taking it easy.

Although the Discovery is being a PITA today, got all but 1 bolt undone on the passenger side front lower arm, tried extreme heat, brute force etc... so ended up going down the cut the bolt route! Annoyingly 3 hours, 5 blades later and I had to call it a day as I needed to rest, but have manage to cut most of the way through the bolt with the reciprocating saw. I was actually hoping tomorrow was going to be the final day of it being off of the road, but Wednesday is the goal day. Hoping tomorrow to at least get the new arm on, and the A/C condenser fitted. Plus the stormer wheels from my Range Rover will be going on until I have time to go and get 4 new tyres for the wheels that are on it now.

Truly Censored off that just 1 bolt screwed my day up though.

At least the weather is great at the moment.

Post #234571421st Aug 2023 8:46 pm
disco-nut

Finally got the final arm done, 2 hours to finish cutting through the bolt Shocked multiple blades used, but the new arm is fitted and all were fitted with new bolts set to within mm's of the old bolts positions if not exactly the same, but still ended up with the front alignment out quite badly Laughing So with that done, I decided to follow the guide I found on here to do the A/C condenser, and all I am going to say is, I have got to go to Halfords tomorrow to make 2 warranty claims after the bolts destroyed 2 T40 sockets just from me using a ratchet to try and undo them. So, the remaining bolts in the slam panel section are going to be drilled out, and I am going to replace them with standard hex headed bolts and locking nuts as I am confident I will destroy the thread in the process of drilling them out. I am really hoping to finish the physical work on the Discovery tomorrow including a full service, so I can get the 4 wheel alignment booked in, and get my Discovery back on the road. No matter what, I am resting on Thursday and seeing the doctor and will be seeing if they say it's time to admit defeat and go to hospital or if I can manage this at home, but I have gotten worse, despite the medication and the lovely weather, so suspect I will be heading to hospital.

Oh, and today, I swapped the wheels over from my Range Rover as I realised all 4 of my tyres might have passed the wear marker stage Shocked and my Range Rover is off the road and the tyres on the stormer wheels that was on it were near brand new, and although I hate the look of them on my D3 and prefer them on my L322, it saves a bit of money in the short run. But my 5 spoke wheels will be back on ASAP.

Post #234583022nd Aug 2023 10:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 30 of 32 <123 ... 29 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >