Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks.

Post #21714903rd Sep 2020 8:47 pm
disco-nut

Erm.... I have probably done something nuts. I WAS going to sell this. Now I have decided to put it into storage Laughing I have put 19" Wheels on it now from a HSE Discovery 3 and taken the towbar off of it for my Tonga green Discovery 3. My head is not in the right space to make a rational decision and I am not prepared to lose loads of money on it. So, I am struggling between the decision to either use this one for parts for my other one and break it and sell the parts on, or maybe fitting a TDV8 3.6 engine in it, or fit another engine and make a real off road beast out of it. So, £35 a month to store it for a while, while I get my head straight and get other stuff sorted out, then I will pull it out of storage when I am ready to get on with working on it. Although in the mean time, I am on the hunt for an engine.

Post #21717555th Sep 2020 10:37 am
disco-nut

My internet was broken, now it is finally fixed so I can add pictures Very Happy

Here is up to date pictures, Unsaveable (according to others) interior, clearly SAVED Whistle Laughing

Towbar removed and 19" wheels fitted. As of Thursday, it is being put into storage until next year.

Now I am considering a few options but undecided at the moment. I am thinking about either:
1: Replacement TDV6 engine, clean it up, use it as a backup tow car to my tow car.
2: Fit an M62 Range Rover Petrol 4.4 V8 Engine and build a real off road beast.
3: Break it.

I had it for sale, best offer I got was £1000. Not prepared to take that and leave with my tail between my legs. I would rather have some fun if I am going to lose money!

But most likely will end up breaking it. However, now is not the right time to make any sort of decision, and the storage space is a long term thing for me to use for 1 vehicle at a time, so when it is time for this to come out, then I can store my trailer or another vehicle while I get on with it. But I have parts for RRS's, L322's and ML's at the moment, so need to clear out what I have before I get more parts in.

But at the moment, I truly feel that this is too good to be broken.

Ironically, the bloke who I bought it from, is actually going to be the same bloke to transport it to the storage yard for me Laughing

Post #21722907th Sep 2020 8:29 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Isn’t the Range Rover petrol then same engine as the 4.4 v8 anyway in the D3
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #21725938th Sep 2020 8:59 pm
JohnnyNapalm

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The fact that it spun a shell is gutting. So sorry to read that. I have recently bought 2005 TDV6 and I know I am sat on a ticking time bomb as it has 120k on it and still has the original cam belt etc. Not using it until my local indie has it in for a look over and a second opinion on the 19th. I am debating having a go at the belt myself but have not done one before. Hope it all works out for you. Cheers.
 Cheers  
Post #21726078th Sep 2020 9:43 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

disco-nut wrote:
My internet was broken, now it is finally fixed so I can add pictures Very Happy

Here is up to date pictures, Unsaveable (according to others) interior, clearly SAVED Whistle Laughing

Towbar removed and 19" wheels fitted. As of Thursday, it is being put into storage until next year.

Now I am considering a few options but undecided at the moment. I am thinking about either:
1: Replacement TDV6 engine, clean it up, use it as a backup tow car to my tow car.
2: Fit an M62 Range Rover Petrol 4.4 V8 Engine and build a real off road beast.
3: Break it.

I had it for sale, best offer I got was £1000. Not prepared to take that and leave with my tail between my legs. I would rather have some fun if I am going to lose money!

But most likely will end up breaking it. However, now is not the right time to make any sort of decision, and the storage space is a long term thing for me to use for 1 vehicle at a time, so when it is time for this to come out, then I can store my trailer or another vehicle while I get on with it. But I have parts for RRS's, L322's and ML's at the moment, so need to clear out what I have before I get more parts in.

But at the moment, I truly feel that this is too good to be broken.

Ironically, the bloke who I bought it from, is actually going to be the same bloke to transport it to the storage yard for me Laughing

Take the £1000, move on and then build an off roader from a better car. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #21726158th Sep 2020 10:08 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Agree with Moo, considering what you paid for it before the engine died, I’d take the £1000 offer and put it to use on the next one. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #21727139th Sep 2020 10:47 am
disco-nut

Nah, not letting it go for £1000. The money wouldn't be free to spend on repairs on another car anyway, it would just get sunk into a credit card or the overdraft. Definitely keeping the blue one. Most likely outcome will be it will end up being broken next year. But as said before, I am not making any rushed decisions now or knee jerk reacting to the situation. The storage space is now a long term thing for me anyway. When the car is pulled out, my trailer will be filling the hole while the blue ones fate is finalised. Even today, spent the afternoon going over the car, and beneath the rough exterior, it is actually in great condition apart from the engine. Already approached another garage who say they can get it back on the road for far less than anyone else and have a good reputation, I have seen them working on other cars and quite impressed with the work that they have done to others cars.

But I am passively on the look out for a Jag S type or maybe another D3 with a good engine. I have worked out that I can off set the costs by breaking a donor vehicle if I get one. But for now, got my Tonga Green one to fix first as one of my sources of income has gone as I need a working tow car to earn some of my income. Thankfully my fingers are dipped in many pies and although this means I fly close to the wire as far as bills go sometimes, I will sort something in the end.

This D3 if rescued, will not be done for resale, it will be done to keep.

Post #217305310th Sep 2020 8:47 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good luck. Strikes me as too much hassle for little return but I wish you well just go in with your eyes wide open on an engine rebuild.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #217307210th Sep 2020 10:04 pm
disco-nut

A friend has been hassling me about buying this Discovery. I have told them the 1 and only price to make me let go of it. And if they pay it, it will be going to a new home and being put on the road faster than I can do it. Otherwise, this one will be back on the road by me. It is staying in storage until next year as I am in the process of paying out to get the green discovery sorted out and I want to get my front garden changed to hard standing. Once this has been done, the blue Discovery will be coming home. I won't be fixing it to sell on, or at least that isn't the plan. And I am hoping that with a little luck, that by the time I am ready to fix this beast, that prices in general will have come down.

Post #218042216th Oct 2020 12:45 am
disco-nut

Looks like this little beast is sold Laughing A friend is paying me monthly for it starting the end of next month and taking over the storage fee's until it is paid off, before it goes off to Birmingham to be pulled apart and restored and put back on the road.

Post #218128820th Oct 2020 2:59 pm
disco-nut

Now confirmed, at some what of a loss to me financially, it is sold to a friend who is paying in instalments. However once he has finished paying it off, I will hopefully be helping get it back on the road. So this diary may continue. All depends on lockdown etc... There will be at least 1 more post.

But in all honesty, this friend is the only person I was willing to sell it to as I knew he would do the same as me with it rather than just scrap it.

I am sad in 1 respect that he is buying it, but I think in reality, this probably would have ended up parked up for 2 years or potentially end up not being done and just sat rotting.

So overall I think I have made the right decision. If he backs out for any reason though, I will try my hardest to get the project going. But I have learned that out of sight, out of mind really applies as it was only when I saw the storage fee going out of my account that I remembered I had this one lingering in the background Whistle Rolling with laughter

I need to concentrate on my neighbour situation and concentrate on the green D3 for now as well as my Range Rover.

Post #218774217th Nov 2020 11:41 pm
disco-nut

Been a little while since I have updated this diary, But... I have got Glynnes free middle row seats coming which are for this beast to replace the disgusting middle row seats in it, so I will be popping down to the car to put them in it. With all the Censored that is going on at mine, I think I will start to get parts for this at the end of the month as although my friend keeps telling me he wants to buy it, he still hasn't started handing over the readies Laughing

So the official plan now is....

Replace the engine with a standard 2.7 engine. All fanciful ideas of engine conversions aren't a possibility with time etc...
Upgrade headlights to Xenons.
Add fog lights.
A/T Tyres.
Tint rear windows.
D4 rear light upgrade.
Wind deflectors.

Get it in use.

Still looking at a 2 year plan though.
If we move and get somewhere with a driveway, then I will pull it out of storage and start working on it sooner.

Post #21921647th Dec 2020 4:45 pm
disco-nut

Well.... turns out the situation I have been having has taken a beating on my health worse than I had realised, I have gained a few pounds in the wrong way Whistle Rolling with laughter But went down to the Discovery at the storage yard to try and put the free seats that Glynne kindly gave and delivered to me last night, but because of where the car is parked, couldn't get them in, so now stored in the house Laughing

I am sure the guy who runs the storage yard has cleaned it. And it is amongst some of the worlds rarest cars.

Post #21924338th Dec 2020 3:56 pm
disco-nut

Now starting to passively look for a replacement engine for this beast.

My friend keeps saying he will start making payments soon, but that hasn't paid off yet, so....

A set of wheels, engine, wiper blades, headlights I bought need to be fitted.
Then bung it in for an MOT and see what happens.

If it fails on anything with a triple digit price tag, then it will go right back into storage until the money is raised again. But the plan now is, run and use my Freelander and other Discovery until September 2021, Then possibly sell the Freelander and use some of the money from that to get this Discovery repaired. But now I have a drive, I have the possibility of bringing this home once I am ready to work on it.

I plan on stripping the old engine down and selling the components off of it to recoup some of the repair costs.

Post #219727529th Dec 2020 11:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >