DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

2007 Tonga
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
malcmack

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
2007 Tonga

Hi there,

Just bought a do-upper from my sis, 2007 TDV6. It's fully loaded, black leather, Harman Kardon sound system, etc.

It was in pretty good nick except for losing water and oil in the header tank. So, working under a Gazebo in our lovely UK weather stripped her down to reveal both EGR coolers were shot and and the oil cooler in the valley had been severely leaking.

Replaced the cooler and blanked the cooler lines off at the spaghetti junction of coolant lines. new cam belts front and rear and for bibs and braces put in new oil and water pumps.

The oily-sludge build from EGR's in inlet manifolds was awful so gave them a good clean up also. (well, got my nipper to do them Wink )

I had a local company do a EGR delete on the ECU to ensure everything matched for good running.

Slapped it all back together, fired her up and got her through MOT the next day. The D3 is flippin' lovely to drive after my old D1's and Range Rover Classics.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their awesome posts on here, without I would have struggled or indeed failed to get this done.

However, lucky old me, it did have a slight misfire which I had presumed was a injector issue until I noted water coolant level had dropped a little. I did a C02 test with a laser C02 tester, the blue liquid went green suggesting that I have a head gasket gone. Here we go again, strip back down a second time and a bit more on top!!

I do have 2 questions to which I can't find an answer for. 1st - Will the heads come off with cam shafts still attached? 2nd - My local Indi workshop said that I don't need to remove turbo to get the N/S head off, is that correct?

All the best, Malc

Post #219707529th Dec 2020 2:12 pm
malcmack

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have now answered my own questions, head bolts are indeed beneath the cam shafts and are very cold at -3. Rolling with laughter

And for anyone else that may need to know, non-turbo side manifold falls out of the way easily with access to bolts through wheel arch. Turbo side next Rolling Eyes

Post #21980781st Jan 2021 11:51 am
malcmack

I have now managed to remove turbo side head; definitely not as easy as right hand, but it does come off with manifold still attached.

Had to lift the front ringside corner of cylinder head clear of the locating dowel and pull that corner away from the manifold to pull the manifold studs clear. The rear then followed easily. It was a little sticky tearing it clear from the gasket.

Note, to allow the manoeuvre you have to remove the oil cooler and HPFP.

Both head gaskets had failed but no evidence of any block, piston or head damage from any possible overheating. I can sleep tonight.......

Post #21981631st Jan 2021 4:42 pm
malcmack

I have now cleaned up the cylinder head faces and inspected for tracking as described by Pete K in another post, thanks for the cracking description. It seems OK.

I also put the heads onto the bed of my milling machine to inspect for warp, I am reading a max of 0.0025" so within the 0.004" limit.

I think I will take the sage advice given in Jonmoore1970's thread to replace the heater plugs whilst heads are off. Not looking forward to that.

Post #21985653rd Jan 2021 9:00 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you have cleaned the carbon away from the tip of the plug i think they will come straight out.

Post #21985743rd Jan 2021 9:33 am
malcmack

Thanks Aja, I will crack on with that in a minute with that reassurance Thumbs Up

Post #21985783rd Jan 2021 9:59 am
malcmack

I have applied another coat of looking to the cylinder heads, there is slight tracking on the 1st ring from the centre, but the 2nd ring is clean and unbroken. Does this look good to everyone and not require skimming?

I also noticed that every single valve stem tip on both cylinders showed wear marks, see the below picture. I didn't hear anything nasty when it was running and the engine has done about 140K miles. Is this normal and I can ignore?

My thanks in advance for any input.

Post #21985863rd Jan 2021 10:18 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

After all the effort you have put in i would have the heads skimmed and pressure tested just to be on the safe side.

Post #21986123rd Jan 2021 11:29 am
malcmack

Thanks Aja, I will take your sound advice and take the heads to my local engineering shop tomorrow. Thumbs Up

Post #21986543rd Jan 2021 1:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >