Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Accident & insurance advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TimD

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4
Accident & insurance advice

Hi I am after some advice as after many years & thousands of miles I was involved in a minor accident and I am not sure the best way to proceed as I don't want our insurance to go up etc. and I haven't had any dealings with insurance companies for years!

I was driving our S1 Discovery out of our village and a car reversed off a drive on my right and and straighted up, this happend about 40 to 50 feet in front of me, I hit the non ABS brakes and steered to the left but just didnt have time to to stop, I think he was still reversing, so my front bumper corner ran down the side of his car before I came to a complete stop, the road was wet and I did skid.

There is not much damage to the Disco, it is insured on a multi car scheme with our D4 and the excess would be as much as the repair. So if I claim will I lose our NCD and pay the excess even if they proportion all the blame on to the other driver?

Also I am a named driver as I have a company car so the multi car policy is in my partners name, will she lose out on both vehicles too?

Also his insurance company has contacted me offering to assist with the repair and a courtesy car, should I speak to them direct?

Post #140552211th Jan 2015 11:42 am
ak121078

United Kingdom 

I may be wrong but if his insurance company has already contacted you offering a repair then they believe that their driver is at fault. It's cheaper for them to go direct to you rather than via your insurance company.

Post #140552811th Jan 2015 11:50 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you are decided not to be at fault, AFAIK, you shouldn't loose your NCB. The excess should also be recoverable.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #140553011th Jan 2015 11:50 am
GLYNNE

England 

In my experience you have now had an " incident ", so your insurance will be affected in the future regardless of blame Evil or Very Mad

Post #140553511th Jan 2015 11:56 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had a non fault accident 3 years ago, i had to report it to the insurers but the claim and damage was undertaken by the other drivers insurance, this has had no effect on my premium
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #140554311th Jan 2015 12:17 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As an innocent party, the accident I had in my FL2, has not, as far as I can tell, affected my insurance cost at all.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #140554511th Jan 2015 12:20 pm
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've had three claims in the last ten years, none my fault, these have not effected my insurance in any way.
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #140554711th Jan 2015 12:24 pm
TimD

Thanks for your replies, I will let you know how I get on.

Post #140561111th Jan 2015 2:08 pm
FenRob

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Do not, repeat do not, accept their offer of claims management and courtesy car. This will mean you lose control over any repairs, and you will be stiffed later for a huge bill for a Micra at £100 a day, plus storage for your car, when they try to claim it was your fault.

And do not enter into any direct discussion with them, go through your insurer.

From the description, the fault isn't clear. The other driver was reversing into the road, but you still drove into them. That sounds like it would be held to be your fault, or at least 50:50.

As I say, I think it's best in this case to talk to your insurer, say you do not want to claim yet, but say that you want to use your legal cover (assuming you have it) to pursue the other party. If you establish that it is the other party's fault you're entitled to repairs at your choice of garage (NOT theirs), or the full replacement cost of a similar vehicle.

As others said, even a non-fault accident can load your premium in future - I would ask your insurer about this, and again pursue the other party for any and all of these costs.

Post #140561611th Jan 2015 2:18 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

If you can manage the repair on your disco.

let them sort there own car our and just get yours fixed - thereby limiting any exposure

No need to use insurance if you don't want to - they aren't god, they don't need to be involved!!
 Mike  
Post #140564311th Jan 2015 2:58 pm
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've had no fault claims when somebody drove into my car and my wife's parked outside our house. Obviously nothing to do with me but we found the driver. Admiral swore blind it would not affect my premium as no fault and, by coincidence, young driver was also insured by Admiral so any queries would come up on his insurance ( they said). Six months later premium came through £500 dearer and they said it was because I was involved in an "incident". As Glynne said - be very careful and get anything you are told re premium in writing. I asked them to check their telephone recorded tapes as they promised it would have no "impact" on my premium. What a coincidence - the tapes were not working that day! In fact Admiral said it was not my premium that had increased by £500 but the fact that I had been involved in an incident. I went elsewhere and they lost insurance on 3 cars,

Post #140570811th Jan 2015 4:35 pm
DeeJay

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Admiral are Censored in my opinion. Persuaded me to go multicar with swimbo's Rav, come renewal time tried to up it by £400. Insured the cars separately saved £350 Smile

Post #140574711th Jan 2015 5:34 pm
TimD

I have spoken to Churchill, his insurance company and they are admitting total liability and offering to repair the car and supply a courtesy car, not that I want one.

They said to check my policy to see if I need to inform Admiral but in their opinion as its non-fault it shouldn't affect my own in durance in any way.

I haven't agreed as yet. It's not the cost of repair I am bothered about but the affect on our renewal.

So still unsure how to proceed, I don't really want to discuss with Admiral as others have disvoverrd they will use it as reason to hike our renewal.

Post #140581211th Jan 2015 7:05 pm
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How about phone their customer service centre and ask a hypothetical question on their policies giving a false name?

Post #140582011th Jan 2015 7:09 pm
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a feeling that at renewal or when taking out a new policy the question is usually worded around 'have you had any accidents regardless of fault in the last xx years'

Note the word accidents and not claims

Post #140582111th Jan 2015 7:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >