Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

AMK compressor exhaust fault C1A13 *Updated*
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
AMK compressor exhaust fault C1A13 *Updated*

OK so am still on my 6500 km Namibia trip the D3 is starting to show its weaknesses, the first was the ECB flashing off-road I have found that this is triggered by certain corrugated roads. 3300km in I have arrived at Etosha game park. I put the suspension in height mode to clear sand before lowering into access mode for the rooftop tent to be raised.

This is when the trouble started the dreaded suspension fault came up. On investigation with the Nanocon I have fault C1A13 gallery failed to depressurise. The fault is now permanent.

I have checked the firmware is correct, the pressure is now stuck at 1560IPA I have tried to force the reservoir depressurisation without success no air venting. Exhaust shows 100 informal mode.

I have four wires to the AMK compressor blue and white and a couple of smaller black cables. The blend white have a resistance of approx 180 ohms on the other side I have 12.7 volts.

What I need to know is how is the exhaust valve controlled, from the compressor or from the ride height ECU? In other words can I fix the exhaust valve if it is not integral tithe compressor PCB.

I have Haynes manual but it is f**k all use as there is no wiring diagram for the compressor. Alternatively was to manually depressurise the reservoir as it curreugly displays high ride height but not on the dashboard.

Only on GPRS connection so written explanation with maybe PDF this is frustrating as it is a brand new compressor 8000km ago as preventative measure...

Please help as SWAMNo is not pleased we upgraded from our D2!
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #160138029th Jan 2016 5:41 pm
longclose

Sorry stuck at 1560 kpa will not depressurise....
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #160138529th Jan 2016 5:51 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

first place to look would be the electric connectors on the rear chassis passanger side look thru the wheel arch behind a plastic strip/gaurd check for breaks bad connections the exhaust valve is next to these connectors
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #160149929th Jan 2016 8:32 pm
longclose

Evening all, OK have spent the morning trying to isolate the fault. Firstly both the gallery and exhaust valves throw up faults if I remove the connectors and clear when reconnected. I measured the resistance across the AMK exhaust valve which is 16 ohms. I can here a high pitched noise when it is energized.

I measured the voltage from my the supply @ 12.5 volts with it disconnected, with it connected it fluctuates between 7 and 10V I assume it may be PWM driven or perhaps a fault?

I got rid of the fault by manually venting the gallery by slackening the joint on the compressor to gallery.

Does anyone have a spare AMK to measure the resistance?

Anyway realised I am not stranded as I assumed the car was limited to 30mph but actually just bongs every 30 seconds! So I will have to do travel 2000 miles with the radio blasting.. Wink

An experts opinion would be appreciated as tomorrow I travel 200 miles through the game park..

Or you are very welcome to travel overland to bring a new compressor!

On GPRS but managed to get 1 photo uploaded after 15 minutes!
Click image to enlarge
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #160181530th Jan 2016 3:16 pm
longclose

OK an update, for anyone who may have a similar problem in the future.

Firstly thanks to Disco Mikey for providing wiring information from the exhaust valve back to the ECU. I have now returned home and have refitted the old Hitachi compressor. The fault remains, this is after checking the wiring back to connector C2293/4 under the L/H headlight where the wiring checks out AOK.

The Hitachi does vent in small bursts when depleting the air chamber but is not on constantly through the process, where SWAMBO's D3 is constant whilst depleting.

This afternoon I took the D3 to the LR main agents who re-flashed the firmware for the AMK compressor and the fault still remains.

So the last port of call is the wiring between the C2294 connector and the ECU, after that I will have to start pulling the ECU apart looking for dry joints on the PCB or failed switching MOSFETS. If this does not work I am in for £250 + fitting and reprogramming..

Will let you know the outcome..

Question for the gurus here, apparently LR cannot reprogram old EAS ECU only new, can the Nanocom re-program an old ECU iof I can source one?
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #16073749th Feb 2016 3:23 pm
geoff.

England 

had a few faulty amk compressors of late , same fault changed compressor faults gone might be worth trying another compressor if you can

Post #16073889th Feb 2016 3:41 pm
longclose

Thanks Geoff,

SWAMBO has an AMK on her car so might try that, as I mentioned I put the old Hitachi back on and the fault remained so I cannot believe 2 compressors can be at fault but who knows... anything is worth a try under the circumstances..

Thanks for giving me the feedback ref. the AMK compressor.. just to confirm was it the same fault coming up C1A13 Gallery not depressurising?
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #16075249th Feb 2016 7:36 pm
geoff.

England 

i did one today and found it faulty with the same fault so its worth a try Thumbs Up

Post #16075269th Feb 2016 7:37 pm
longclose

Hi Geoff,

Just an update, looks like you are right, connected up to SWAMBO's car thinking it would all be good.. "bing bong" suspension fault C1A13 gallery not depressurising.

Should get a replacement tomorrow so will let everyone know the outcome. Interesting though is that this was the first one they ever had returned, and the LR dealer had not had one fail before with this issue. Perhaps it is a batch issue.

Keep you posted and thanks for the pointer.. Thumbs Up
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #160772810th Feb 2016 8:23 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

In the last 2 years, I have had 2 faulty AMKs out the box, and one fail after about a week

Not a huge issue, just frustrating
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #160773910th Feb 2016 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
longclose

Hi Mikey,

That is good to know and re-assurring in a strange sort of way. I upgraded my compressor as a preventative measure before my coast to coast trip as I was under the impression the AMK was bullet proof Confused

As the old saying goes if it ain't broke leave well alone...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #160774010th Feb 2016 8:50 am
longclose

Car booked into LR main dealer for Tuesday to be replaced after demonstrating the issue as they insisted they had to replace it and check the fault before it was replaced, so I had to put the faulty part back on for them to check...... Confused

For future reference the latest software does not work with the Hitachi compressor which is what originally confused me, although the old software works with the AMK (as I found SWAMBO's car had old firmware).

Anyway thanks for your support Guy's Thumbs Up
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #160847511th Feb 2016 3:50 pm
gruodiz

Lithuania 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had same fault code C1A13-64 on new AMK compressor about a month after fitting, then years with intermitent fault and finally replaced exhaust valve which solved the problem.
LR075760 price up to £20.

There's nothing wrong with electromagnet same resistance both on old and new valve. The problem is sticking valve it self. I used silicone spray inside new one before fitting Thumbs Up

valve -- bracket -- electromagnet

Post #193204631st Mar 2018 2:26 pm
longclose

Hi Groudiz,

Thanks for the update my exhaust valve failed on a brand new compressor in the middle of the Namibian desert 600 miles from the nearest Landrover dealership! It was not intermittent and just died, I removed the exhaust valve checked the resistance and as you say it was good. I then checked the valve for dirt ingress cleaned with WD40 and re-assembled, however it never came back to life.

Unfortunately it destroyed the back shock absorbers as the suspension elevated on the back during the day and going over medium rough terrain overland destroyed the oil seals on the shocks as it went past the limit of travel, every day I had to manually vent the suspension.

This cost me £600, I raised a case with Landrover SA who were not sympathetic at all even though I put forward a very reasoned technical argument (as I am a qualified Engineer). It left me very disappointed as it spoilt our trip which I had planned for a year. Having a bing bong alert avery 21 seconds drove me insane and had to travel 2000 miles overland with this fault just because I replaced a good compressor as a good measure. Its a pity as I wanted to do a promote the brand of travelling overland across Africa in a Disco3.. their loss at the end of the day

Anyway good to see you could fix it for £20 which I did not have the option as I had to get Landrover to replace it under their warranty and then pay Landrover another £600 for the pleasure of fixing shocks caused by their problem!
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #19322991st Apr 2018 10:08 am
Philsteward

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Realise this is an old thread but it just saved me a lot of time.

I had the C1A20 fault of pressure rising too slowly. I did all the normal checks, managed to confirm the tank was holding pressure. Tricked the tank solenoid into opening and you could hear air and see the pressure dropping rapidly, but no air leaks on pipes or valve blocks etc, so was then stumped.

Found this thread and thought I'd isolate the compressor to see if that solved the issue - bingo, system held pressure.

Removed the compress and I could blow into the pressure out end of the compressor and air would come out of the exhaust end.

I had only had the compressor fitted for 13 months, and bought it from Advanced Factors. It was a Bearmach pattern version of the AMK. No replacement part available but returned under warranty, I have now fitted a genuine AMK one as if this happens again the exhaust valve (actually called compressor solenoid) is only £20 odd.

Once again, thanks to this forum not only a lot of money but more importantly time saved.

Post #202717410th Feb 2019 10:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >