Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Anyone had the £99 WD cover ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Anyone had the £99 WD cover ?

Just been offered this after declining their full all singing and dancing cover which was over £600.
Apparently the only difference is that it only covers breakdowns that require recovery to a garage.
Covers wear & tear except clutch and exhaust. Labour charge capped at £200 per hour. Claim limited to value of vehicle. Its similar to my AA breakdown repair cover, though their maximum claim limit is £500.

Post #94475420th Jun 2012 4:59 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Sounds waaaaaaaay too good to be true. They limit indie rates to £60 per hour, so that £200 limit makes alarm bells ring for me!

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #94477420th Jun 2012 6:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Means anything that doesn't need the big yellow taxi isn't covered, really just catastrophic failure of bits covered. I don't think I've had a single recovery claim with WD & had a fair few claims. Whistle

Post #94477920th Jun 2012 6:23 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Received the following in the confirmation email quote of £90 per year

Do they cover worn out parts (Failure caused wear & tear)?

- This is when a part comes to the end of its natural life due age or mileage, 67% of our claims are wear and tear related. A good example would be your shock absorbers failing at 40k…..”sorry Mr Customer your shock absorbers haven’t actually broken they have simply worn out” claim turned down.

Do they cover failures caused by non insured parts?

- It’s very easy for a company to claim they cover the engine but If a smaller item within the engine breaks that isn’t insured and damages a major internal part of the engine the company will then turn the claim down on the covered item, very sneaky indeed and most companies include this clause so watch out for it.

Do they cover overheating?

- Most warranty companies exclude claims that have arisen from the car overheating, if you imagine how many parts under the bonnet are damaged when the car overheats and then imagine how much a warranty company will save by not covering this claim its quite easy to see why a warranty company would exclude this from their policy.

Do they cover diagnostics?

- We pay diagnostics on all authorized claims, most other warranty companies do not. Diagnostics are a major part of a garage bill in this day and age and to exclude it from your warranty will leave you out of pocket.

Are they FSA regulated?

- If they are not you won't have any protection in a dispute, or if they go bust you will lose your money. We offer an insured contract, and we are underwritten by large insurers, which means if you are unhappy with us you can complain to the financial ombudsman. To buy an insurance policy from a company that isn’t FSA regulated is not only dangerous but leaves any major disputes firmly in the hands of the insurance company and who’s side do you think they will be on?

Are they recommended by any industry experts?

- If they aren’t, then why aren’t they? We are the only warranty provider recommended by Autotrader, The Daily Telegraph, What Car?, The Bmw owners club, Warranty Expert and many more leading names in the motor trade. For all these major companies to put their name next to ours really does show there confidence in our product.

Is their claims limit capped?

- Ours is unlimited to the market value of the vehicle, and we guarantee claims don’t affect the price on renewal. Many warranty companies will cap the claims limit at £1000 which for a major repair just isn’t enough in this day and age.

Will their labour rates cover your chosen repairer?

- We can cover £60 + VAT for using an independent repairer, or £200 + VAT for a main dealer. When people purchase a warranty they very rarely check the labour rate on offer and lesser warranty companies won’t even mention this on the phone when selling the policy, its only at point of claim when you discover that £35 an hour is all that’s on offer.

I hope all these points have been useful and please do use this to compare our cover to the other companies as most warranty companies will have most of these exclusions and they will use them to there advantage.

Post #94479320th Jun 2012 6:54 pm
Dave T

England 

Matty

My first question would be, at 7 years old, how many bits won't be worn out?

Personally I went for the AA one as it includes full recovery and home start for me and SWMBO, for 2 cars with the warranty and any other car we are driving (my defender Whistle ) for home start/recovery at £20 a month. Just getting the recovery/home start etc was about £14 anyway.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #94491621st Jun 2012 7:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 

Dave, the WD policy specifically includes wear and tear. Also you have a claim limit of value of the vehicle instead of £500. I'm not knocking the AA one, I've had it, and used it plenty. But I sure was glad of the effectively uncapped claim limit when my gearbox failed, £500 cover would have left me £2,500 short!

This WD policy does seem extremely good value, in fact I'm going to take it for my wife's car, and see if it would apply to my car too. I'm happy enough to have the policy for failure which involves recovery.

Post #94500521st Jun 2012 10:28 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

In my opinion and experience these aftermarket warranties are a waste of money. Evil or Very Mad
Had 1 year with WD and 2yr with AA for my old D3.
They were fantastic to start with .....but ...... !!!!!
I had bad experiences with both [resulting in me writing to the MD's].

Think ...... why do these companies exist?
Answer ..... to make money from mugs like you and I.
They're not there to help you or your D3, they just want your money.... it's a profit making business FFS.

The best bet is to put away some money on a monthly basis.
I built up quite a nice little 'pot' doing this, in fact still got it now I've a D4 under a 'proper warranty'

Before the flack comes flying in, this is just my own opinion & experience[as mentione at the start]

happy spending/haggling for those that ignore Wink

Post #94502021st Jun 2012 11:08 am
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I have to say I agree with Ron. When my LR warranty ran out I looked around and bought one for over £600. Unfortunately I had to have some work done so thought to use my new warranty. when it came to claim they were strangely silent for a while and then tried to wriggle out of it. eventually they settled after months of wrangling and escalating my claim, but split the work into 2, claimed 2 excesses from the final settlement. Understandably I did not renew!
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #94504521st Jun 2012 11:55 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Flip side of the coin and in the interest of balance, I'm several grand better off with having 4 years of aftermarket warranty (3 years on mine & 1 on SWMBO's D3s). They don't cover everything, if peeps want that keep within LR 3 year new car warranty, but the policies I've had have all paid out more than I've paid in, some by coupe of thousand per year. For me it's insurance for the big ticket items that can fail, little items covered and claimed for are a bonus. Just renewed for 2 years, would have to think long & hard about running one of these cars without a warranty. Whilst I can afford, say, a new engine, I choose not to take that risk financially. These may be profit making organisations (like LR) but wouldn't be surprised is the cover for D3/RRSs isn't that profitable.

Post #94505321st Jun 2012 12:03 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Flip side of the coin and in the interest of balance, I'm several grand better off with having 4 years of aftermarket warranty

You must be in a minority. Thumbs Up
Warranty Direct (part of Pinnacle Insurance plc) make quite a profit from collecting a lot more money from customers than they pay out each year in warranty claims. As Ron says, thats how it works.

Why don't we start a private warranty club? You could call it DiscoDirect and run it on a non profit basis just for the benefit of our members. Just divide the total claims each year by the number of members to work out the premiums for the following year. Once deals with suppliers (TLO) and dealers have been done, you'd be surprised how cheap it could be.

Post #94507321st Jun 2012 1:07 pm
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 

Well that minority includes me too. I was sceptical of the value of my WD policy right up until the point where the paid for my gearbox to be rebuilt, and paid for two weeks car rental (I was only entitled to one, but they gave me another week).

I've got to admit, it wasn't easy, but it was clear that they make you jump through some hoops in order to ensure that they are not paying out on fraudulent claims.

Whilst it's easy to say 'they are in it to make money', you could say the same about car insurance, but it doesn't mean it's a bad idea!

Look at the recent examples on this forum. Do you think the guys who have had engine failures might have benefitted from having a warranty? I know you'll say that WD wouldn't pay out, but in my experience they would.

Of course you can put money aside for yourself, but taking an average warranty cost as £600 per year, you'd need to be saving for 5 years to cover the cost of a gearbox, or apparently 12+ years to cover the cost of an engine. Personally I suspect that within that time you'd have more to claim on! Thumbs Up

Post #94509721st Jun 2012 2:45 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had a front nearside brake caliper sieze up ..... "no problem sir, that's covered".

6 months later

I had a front offside brake caliper sieze up .... "sorry sir, that's not covered, it's wear & tear".

Explain the logic? ..... the warranty company certainly couldn't !!! Evil or Very Mad

Post #94510321st Jun 2012 2:58 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Had the same with Tesco, first caliper wasn't covered due to water ingress, second they didn't bat an eyelid. Had 5 calipers replaced out of LR warranty, 4 paid for. If I'd have said no more, my 2nd replacement turbo would have come out of my pocket, along with load of other stuff. They don't cover everything, just coz one thing sneaks in below the radar when it shouldn't doesn't mean they all will. Also having a policy with wear & tear included is an absolute must IMHO, even at 93k if a suspension bush goes (again in my case) then the costs will pay for a large slice of the policy. I could do them myself if I knew how, had the time or tools and could be arssed. Better things to do in my busy life. Whistle Smile

Post #94510521st Jun 2012 3:13 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:
Why don't we start a private warranty club? You could call it DiscoDirect and run it on a non profit basis just for the benefit of our members. Just divide the total claims each year by the number of members to work out the premiums for the following year. Once deals with suppliers (TLO) and dealers have been done, you'd be surprised how cheap it could be.

It's a brave man that will do that Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #101928715th Dec 2012 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Found WD to be fair and quick to pay out. Not had a single item refused in 2 years. Just signed up for two more years. No betterment and only £50 excess.

I don't know how they make money on it to be honest.

Post #101930615th Dec 2012 9:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >