Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Battery disconnected, tailgate switch dead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
fubbytucker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Battery disconnected, tailgate switch dead

I had my battery disconnected yesterday and today have been resetting the clock, windows etc.
What I've just discovered is that the physical upper tailgate switch isn't doing anything when I press it even with the key fob in my hand.
When I press the key fob button it partially releases but not fully. I have to then press the key fob button again and pull the tailgate open exactly when the lock clicks.

Previously I'd be able to just walk up and press the tailgate button to lift it.

Is this a coincidental actuator issue or should I be doing something simple following the battery removal?

Post #22394031st Jul 2021 3:37 pm
General_Git

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I may be off with my suggestion here but I didn't have this issue when I disconnected my battery. I also keep getting caught out when unlocking the car as it takes a double click for full unlock and also keep meaning to see if IID can resolve it.

What I think is happening is that you have unlocked the car with a single click thereby only unlocking the driver's door. With the vehicle in this partially unlocked state the boot switch will be unresponsive, along with the three passenger doors. Clicking the unlock button twice will unlock all the doors and the boot switch will operate normally. What I don't know is if the single/all unlock setting has any bearing on the land rover button opening the boot but I do recall experiencing this semi unlocked state of the boot door as you describe but it was some time ago and only every so often since. I suppose I've put it down to the electronics simply getting a bit confused as I've likely pushed all the buttons at once... Confused

I know with VAGCOM (Audi's IID variant) it's possible to change unlocking all doors to a single click so I hope IID can do the same thing, really must play with that thing a bit more...
 LR3 MY05 TDV6 2.7 HSE - 130k
Audi S3 Black Edition Quattro (2020) - 11k
ZZR1400 (2010) - 55k 

Post #22394101st Jul 2021 4:18 pm
fubbytucker

Good suggestions, thanks.
I'm stumped, but think it's more a central locking/fob type issue than a physical issue.
I've had the switch apart and that has continuity. The numberplate lights have power so I think it is being disabled for some reason.
I just can't work out the correct setting to adjust.

Out of interest, I can't find a tailgate fuse in any of the fuse diagrams I have read. Does anyone have any idea which fuse would control it?

Post #22394251st Jul 2021 5:22 pm
fubbytucker

Just an update on this, turned out (as predicted) to be a switch issue. There was a cable break between the switch and the plug.
My guess is it was when the rear trim was removed to tint the glass, but I'd just not noticed and it was only after the battery was disconnected that I became aware, putting 2 and 2 together and... well that's obvious!
I replaced the switch and have an actuator ready in my spares box for when that eventually fails.
all working again.

Now, if only it would stop raining long enough for me to do the passenger door actuator...

Post #22402916th Jul 2021 10:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >