Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Bigger Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There is certainly no problem in changing the discs, as everything is still in proportion to how it was before.

I can see how putting bigger calipers on the front only for example, might upset some things possibly - what ECUs are programmed differently on a RRS with brembos and a RRS without neo? As I and others have said, many RRS owners have already upgraded to Brembos and I don't think they've gone over the nearest ditch yet anyway! Wink

I've since changed the rear discs as well. It was a nightmare getting them off as they were stuck to the hub and required a big hammer to get them off! I didn't do any of the adjustment stuff for the EPB however, as it requires access to IDS, but my EPB seems fine anyway, though it's very rare that I ever use it.

As for the difference - well the front discs have 'bedded in' at this stage, and already the difference is quite noticable. The brakes are far more responsive initially when pressing the pedal. I've tried a comparison with the emergency stop using the EPB switch, and there's definatly a good few feet difference in the stopping distance from around 40MPH (just testing against known points on the road outside my house). Will be going up to Dublin this afternoon so will be doing a few hundred miles in the next 2 - 3 days which should see the rears getting settled in too. Smile
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #18448831st Jul 2007 11:20 am
neo

England 

The brake ECU's are programmed differently to cater for the change in physical hardware and assoc. variables. For instance brake temp. and ambient temp. mappings are apparently different.

This affects the way that the ETC/DSC/EBD/ABS will work for given ranges and usages etc.

The other possible issue is modifying a safety critical system/function of the vehicle outside of manufacturers specification, as yet brembo's are not offered on D3.

However, it is interesting to see how you get on with your changed setup, what has your ins. comp. said?
 The M-Power Express

=~ prorsus per angustias ~= 

Post #18449631st Jul 2007 11:37 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

neo wrote:
The brake ECU's are programmed differently to cater for the change in physical hardware and assoc. variables. For instance brake temp. and ambient temp. mappings are apparently different.

I don't think may be an issue, after all the fitting of bigger brakes makes them less prone to fade for the same activity (due to greater disc area and hence heat dissipation), so any of the maps will simply act more cautiously than the new bigger brakes can cope with.

For example, HDC will fade out after prolonged usage as the maps tell it that after a certain amount of HDC activity in a certain time at a certain ambient temp the brakes will be heating up to a caution level. The bigger brakes though should actually be the same or cooler than the map assumes as they have greater heat dissipation than std. Hence the electronics should still act in a safe manner.

The same could obviously not be said if you fitted TDV6 discs to a V8....

As far as ABS, ETC and EBD etc then the primary activity is to control the speed of wheel rotation by either applying or removing the brake pressure but as this has direct feedback from each wheel sensor I can't see how you could make the vehicle behave any differently - after all the fitting of 20" wheels increases the adhesion at each corner and these systems appear to cope/self accomodate such a change without any modification - indeed it is probbaly in LR's ease of production interests to make such systems cope with the widest available range of options that may be fitted.

Agree with your comment re fitting Brembos though, as they have never been fitted to D3s that could cause an issue, even if not a technical one. Shame as the wifes Brembo-equipped TDV6 RRS has noticeably better brakes than my TDV6 D3!

I think when it is due discs and pads I'll be putting the V8 versions on.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #22632321st Nov 2007 12:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >