Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

BT (or now EE) Digital Voice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 
BT (or now EE) Digital Voice.

Digital Voice is supposed to be a great step foward in communications with full fibre operating speeds, clearer voice communication at so on.

However, during a five hour power cut this morning I realised that the ordinary phone system (well, the parts that have been converted to digital voice) do not work at all.

So how (if we have really bad mobile signal, especially EE in my area) are we supposed to call the emergency services ?

IMHO a serious issue so please not flippant comments or comments for the sake of saying something.

Any BT/EE people on here ?

Post #235694627th Dec 2023 2:50 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Big piece on the Jeremy Vine show about this before Christmas.

Not just your work but all the elderly with their emergency call buttons and not to mention all the burglar alarms connected to monitoring stations.

The 'old' copper line system will/would apparently keep on working for a good few hours without power.

Chap from BT (or similar) came on and said that much of the infrastructure supporting the old copper line network is 40 plus years old and the switches and more are now obsolete, if obtainable at all.

Pace of change seems a little fast for those less able to adapt as quickly to me..
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #235695227th Dec 2023 3:06 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Well, the difference between “old” and “new” in terms of technology stack is… quite large.

PSTN/POTS (“old”) - will work as long as the central office (CO) switching facility feeds 48 VDC power to the line normally and if it rings adds 90 VAC to that. CO is responsible for power in terms of batteries or gensets for a certain amount of time (as imposed by regulations in your jurisdiction). Calls work locally as long as there is power, further up/down the switching hierarchy as long as backhaul to higher order switching centers exists for signaling and call trunking.

“New” is much more complex, in order of operation:
- all data: you must have light in the fiber at both ends, no light - no data
- all data: the fiber ONT/aggregation device in CO must have power and connectivity for backhaul
- all data: the IP (Layer 3) termination [most likely] much further away must be reachable
- all data: routing must work and VAS infrastructure (DHCP, DNS, SIP, ….) must be reachable
- all data: you must be able to obtain IP addressing (provider supplied DHCP server)
- all data: DNS must work
- telephony: SIP proxies must be reachable by the handsets/ STB (depending on type), this is “signaling”
- telephony: media gateways towards “PSTN” must be reachable by the handsets/STB, this is “media”

In practice, the consumer never installs an UPS for their ONU (fiber termination unit). Similarly, any STB and WiFi access points in the residence also tend to be without. This is not something anyone really realizes until there really is a power outage.

Post #235695427th Dec 2023 3:39 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I can't respond in detail at this time but I am very happy with VoIP which I have been using for about 4 years; to cope with power outages I have:-

Two APC ES-700 back up power supplies to run a PC, router, wifi etc.. during the time that it takes to fire up and connect my Honda EU7000iS 7,000 watt generator which is converted to run off either bottled or mains gas.

I also have a TP-Link M7650 MiFi router which supports 4G LTE-Advanced CAT11 networks. I have two additional SIM cards for this router giving my a choice of 3 networks, although to date Vodafone my normal provider have been 100% throughout local power outages.

If one felt 100% reliability is necessary one could also add Starlink - I have considered it & may do so at some time. Starlink speeds (from ISP Review):-

Cost of Starlink £75 p.m. for unlimited data plus hardware at a cost of £449. I understand that for a limited time, refurbished hardware kits are available in the UK for £199.

In practice the generator can power the whole household, as long as I don't have any two high power consumption devices on at the same time - i.e. washing machine, tumble dryer etc..

NJSS

Post #235696327th Dec 2023 4:07 pm
al cope

England 

But why should the average person with no techy knowledge have to have all that gear in order to make an emergency call.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #235697127th Dec 2023 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

They should not. I agree that things “should just work”.

But newer technologies increase, not decrease, complexity. Also, testing corner cases is usually impossible.

Post #235697527th Dec 2023 5:08 pm
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

BT Openreach exchanges are small power stations, sending the low voltage (as mentioned above) down the copper wire. Demands for faster speeds, that can't be achieved using copper, mean it has to be fibre. Which doesn't conduct electricity.

So it's a combination of factors, including the power saving/cost to Openreach, which drives the change. Alternatives should be offered to the elderly etc, if mobile signal is poor though.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #235697727th Dec 2023 5:16 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As with a lot of 'tech' it is often the rural communities that suffer as technology moves forward.

Our power supplies and 'phone lines are very susceptible to drop-outs - we have a powercut at least half a dozen times a year, and the 'phone line (copper) is crackly whenever it rains (ie water getting in somewhere into the system). Needless to say the power cuts usually occur when the emergency services are most likely to be needed, ie bad weater such as that which we had ten weeks ago and which was only cleared the week before Christmas.

Our concern over the transition to digital is that if we have a power cut that also takes out the mobile mast which serves the village. At present, if we have a powercut then we still have the use of the analogue 'phone lines for emergency use etc. In the future - powercut means no 'phone signal or ability for the whole peninsula. 'Only' 300-500 people, depending on the season, so not exactly headline news or a vote winner. Generators etc are fine for the household, but do not help with the communication side of things in our case (unless mobile operators make further investment)
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #235697927th Dec 2023 5:47 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: BT (or now EE) Digital Voice.

Brian Considine wrote:
Digital Voice is supposed to be a great step foward in communications with full fibre operating speeds, clearer voice communication at so on.

However, during a five hour power cut this morning I realised that the ordinary phone system (well, the parts that have been converted to digital voice) do not work at all.

So how (if we have really bad mobile signal, especially EE in my area) are we supposed to call the emergency services ?

IMHO a serious issue so please not flippant comments or comments for the sake of saying something.

Any BT/EE people on here ?

We were switched to Digital Voice about 6 weeks ago. Have the same problem-in fact we have just had power restored whilst I was trying to find Scottish Powers fault line.

However how you find this a surprise when BT peppered us with pamphlets and emails giving us all the info you have just quoted before switching on the specified date.

Post #235698027th Dec 2023 6:03 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

For vulnerable people BT/Openreach was providing a battery backed up ONT/Router so the internet wouldn't go down during a powercut.

The ONT & Router are both (well BT and most other routers are, but can't speak for all ISPs) 12V so instead of getting a full on UPS you can power both of them for c.5hrs with a £10-15 12V 7Ah battery and a couple of leads.

For about £20 you could buy this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOARAISE-26800mAh...B091TW1JKC

and get a USB-C to barrel connector for the router. Again, it'll give maybe as much as 5hrs runtime.

Our telephone exchange only covers c.80 houses but it has never gone fully down due to a power outage in my time living here....we did have the time when the tinks cut the optic cabling thinking it was copper and disabled the entirety of our part of the Highlands and Skye from being able to communicate with the wider world.

I had an old Nokia E61 running over SIP (to SIPgate) for my landline until recently which worked pretty simply and flawlessly. Quite a few phones of that era had SIP client functions built in to the operating system.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #235700427th Dec 2023 9:16 pm
kajtzu

Slightly off topic but all modern phones have SIP stacks, too. All the VoLTE, VoWiFi, RCS/IMS stuff is built on top of it.

The difference back then was that Nokia made the (faulty) assumption about openness rather than controlled, walled gardens.

Post #235700727th Dec 2023 9:41 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Brian Considine wrote:

Is it not the case that the mobile system will allow an emergency call through no matter what network one subscribes to and / or is available? If there is a connection of some sort, you will get through.

Of course, in a 0% mobile black spot you're screwed, but then that was the case if a tree took down your copper line back in the day.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #235701427th Dec 2023 10:40 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It is the case, but unlike the FB rubbish it won't suddenly become a satellite phone! Very Happy
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #235701627th Dec 2023 10:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >