DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

should i buy another
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lindencahill

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
should i buy another

hi
im deeply missing my d4 sdv6 and considering buying another.
the car i would like is 74k and fsh but im absolutely bricking it about spending a huge amount of money on a beautifull car that could just let go of its crankshaft at anytime then costing a fortune to repair.
i know it my decision and a gamble ,i base my fears on owning a d3 that snapped crank,then i progressed to own three d4,s over a period of years and i can honestly say i never had a minutes issue with a single one of those cars,saying that the highest mileage one was 65k.
so should i be worried?
im a mechanic so treat my cars with upmost respect,oil change every 4000 miles and run on shell v-power but dont fancy pulling out an sdv6 engine.
have i just been lucky with my previous d4,s or should i walk away.
ive heard that oil pump should be replaced with cambelt change and there is a modified pump available to build up oil pressure quicker on cold starts hence prolonging engine life maybe.
should i go with my heart or with my brain,would be good to find out the percentage of d4,s with snapped cranks.
ive also seen forged cranks for these ,that could be a solution although like i said dont fancy pulling the engine out to fit one.
advice please before i press the buy it now button
as the sdv6 is in a state of higher tune is it worse than the tdv6
regards

Post #236973627th May 2024 10:10 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

There is no real answer to this that would alleviate your fears Rolling Eyes

If you like the Disco 4 you like the Disco 4. I would not be without mine (Commercial, MY13, 146k miles). King of the road and as smooth as a magic carpet Very Happy

As you will see from a lot of posts here, there is no tried and tested formula for a snapped crank (forged or otherwise). They have gone at 40k miles and many on this forum are past a quarter of a million with no issues. Some much farther. Same odds as doing the lottery (sort of) Whistle

I stick a couple of grand a year to one side to do all the maintenance (mainly rubbery bits, bushes, corroded brake lines etc.). That's £50 a week. You would lose more than that by buying anything from a showroom these days.

If you find a nice one and you can look after it (as you suggest), get them whilst they still exist. There are no more to be built.

Not really helped have I Whistle Like I said, if you want one then buy a good one, and don't keep looking over your shoulder.

Good luck Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #236976027th May 2024 1:42 pm
lindencahill

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

hi
yeah everything you says makes sense,too late now ive bought it Razz
i know its a lotto with these but car i have bought looks very well kept,i can only improve on that
thankyou

Post #236976227th May 2024 2:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >