Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Australia & New Zealand

Buying (and selling) a car in Aus questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My brother is in Oz at the moment and they’ve hired a campervan.....seem to remember it was something silly like a dollar a day or something, might be an idea even if you don’t need a campervan
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #211606627th Jan 2020 10:33 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You could buy a Discovery 4 V8 for c. AUS$35k and import it to the UK at the end of your trip. Thumbs Up

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #211606827th Jan 2020 10:35 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

euangibson wrote:
My brother is in Oz at the moment and they’ve hired a campervan.....seem to remember it was something silly like a dollar a day or something, might be an idea even if you don’t need a campervan

Prob a one way relocation deal. We’ve seen lots of rental campers on the roads but can’t get rental prices for anything but silly, the other way, prices. Any idea who he’s renting through?

Post #211607127th Jan 2020 10:40 am
garrycol

Australia 

DSL wrote:
PS Just thought re the issue of tickets. If I’ve got the car registered at, say, a hotel, I’d never know if I’d received a ticket. I can’t see any way, certainly in WA, of checking on line.

You will need some proof of an address - often requires an electricity bill in your name, a rental agreement etc - something like that - who do you know in WA and you can use their address.

Post #211607227th Jan 2020 10:44 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Now that could be an issue. Unfortunately we don’t know anyone in WA. Sad

From reading blogs etc it looks like lots of backpackers register the cars at the place where they bought it.

Post #211608027th Jan 2020 11:04 am
garrycol

Australia 

No - to register a vehicle in a state you must be a resident of that state and have documents to prove it - I am sure though that backpackers have schemes to get around it or if transferring from backpacker to backpacker the registration is never transferred.

Garry

Post #211610127th Jan 2020 12:16 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Agreed, everything we look at says you have to go into the DoT office with proof of ownership. We might have to accept the limitations of renting. Sad

Post #211637928th Jan 2020 8:09 am
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As you are looking to buy in WA contact the WA DoT, use this link https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/...nquiry.asp and select ‘Vehicle license transfer’ as the subject. Just explain what you want to do they will give you the possible option(s).

Cars registered in WA don’t need a roadworthy (MOT) unless their rego (Road Tax) has lapsed by over three months, or if the police stop you and defect (Yellow sticker) the car. Current rego status can be checked here https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/webExte...20557069?0

Don’t forget you need to pay stamp duty when you buy a car, you can calculate that here https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/...ulator.asp this is payable to the DoT.

If you do decide to buy a car you can do a ‘HPi’ style check for the grand sum of $2 here https://www.ppsr.gov.au/how-quick-motor-vehicle-search you need the vehicle VIN to do this.

The big car sales website is called, strangely, www.carsales.com.au

Aussies love automatics, when you see the standard of driving here you’ll know why. So a manual car will be cheaper to buy, but potentially harder to sell. Korean (Kia/Hyundai) and Japanese cars are popular, unless you are looking at a large saloon (Sedan) then you’ll be looking at the Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #211643528th Jan 2020 10:41 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Cheers for all that, have already been looking through some of them. We’ve already clocked a few that we’d look at if we were buying now. Interesting re manual car, agreed they are cheap but would worry re selling on. We’ve seen Mitsubishi Mirages with only 2k km for only $12.something thousand or Jazzez younger than I drive back in the UK for sub $4k.

Will have a look at the reg transfer site, we’ve trawled through a fair number of official sites, I might just need to phone them.

Re Aussie driving, don’t do yourselves down. You drive on the correct side of the road, OK you use kms but having spent several months in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Russia your standard of driving is fine. Thumbs Up

Post #211644328th Jan 2020 10:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >