Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Can anyone diagnose my engine issue from this video?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Can anyone diagnose my engine issue from this video?

Noticed a few strange issues with my D4 in recent weeks. The car is currently with my dealer for investigation - they have been great - took it in when I rolled up there yesterday lunchtime and looked at it straight away.

Symptoms

1) In recent weeks, on starting the engine from cold, it's taken to putting out a small amoutn of foul smelling smoke which is really quite unpleasant. It's enough to notice from inside the car, and anyone still getting in when you start the engine gives you a pretty filthy look when they get in! It doesn't happen every time, but recently at least 2-3 times a week.

2) Several times in cold weather it's stalled shortly after starting - multiple times when reversing down my driveway (slight slope) into the main road. Also twice within 60 seconds of starting the engine in my company car park of an evening, and then joining a queue of traffic outside. I didnt know Autos could stall!

i thought that was it... Until yesterday.

3) Left home at 6am and drove circa 20 miles into central London. When I was several miles from my destination the engnie started to sound pretty rough. Performance remained ok, but it sounded like a tractor (and not a good tractor!). It also noticeably made the cabin vibrate, I could feel it through my arm on the drivers door. When stopped at a crossing, a passing Policeman knocked on my window and helpfully told me my car sounded awful! On reaching my destination, and parking, I jumped out and recorded this video, to capture the sound:

Wish I'd opened the bonnet and recorded it too. In hindsight I'd have captured a lot more, but I was just rushing to record the sound so the dealer could hear.

The engine was making such a din, even when stationery in 'P', that I couldn't keep the engine running and leave my heated seat on as I was parked in a residential area and feared waking the neigbours at 6.45am (and I was doing some work in the car before an appointment)! When I re-started the car at around 9.30am, it sounded a little rough, but not quite so bad. As I drove it slowly improved and by the time I reached the dealership 90 mins later it sounded fine.

The Service Assistant and a technician came out to listen and it was fine. I played the recording to the technician and he said it sounded "pretty terminal" and thanked me for capturing the recording.

They took the car in, but so far have been unable to replicate any of the problems. I've asked them to keep it over the bank holiday weekend. At the same time, since the car is worrying me, I've cancelled the summer health check the car was having in 10 days time before I take the car away on a long trip, and put it in 5k miles early for its next service (a 'B' service).

I'm taking the car to remote parts of Scotland, will be miles from a dealership, and really dont' want any car troubles. Half of the fun of driving 'up North' is going in the Disco, but do I have any confidence in wanting to take my car so far away at the moment? No!

The last time my Disco made this kind of noise the engine went 'bang' in a fairly spectacular way shortly after (at 14k miles / 11 months old) and I had to have a whole new engine, and lost my car for circa 6 weeks whilst that happened. Hearing it sounding like this, I really wondered if engine number 3 was on its way! The car is currently 3 years 5 months old and done 55k miles (current engine 41k). it is still under warranty (extended for a 4th year).

So i'd massively appreciaite it any of the LR experts on here can diagnose anything from the above symptoms, and explain why my engine might sound so rough on one journey, and then appear normal again shortly after?

As always, thanks for any advice you can offer! If the dealer comes back and still can't find a fault by Tuesday, I'd like to be able to offer them any other clues the board may share before they return my car...

Thanks in advance :idea:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #10986843rd May 2013 8:04 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

http://discotr.es/viewtopic.php?p=97988#p97988

&feature=player_embedded

another type of fatal failure. soooo common, many engines go south this way...

Post #10987313rd May 2013 10:01 pm
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks CUCO. That engine sounded a little worse than mine, but I agree a similar tone. Any other ideas anyone? To play the video please click the picture above,

So man brains on this forum would welcome any feedback.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #10991594th May 2013 10:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >